• evoxpisces - June 4, 2013 1:46 p.m.

My favorites have changed over time but right now if I had to choose it would be FF4. The soundtrack is fantastic and still holds up over 20 years later. The jump in storytelling from the NES games to FF4 was a pretty revolutionary for the time. In my opinion it is also the most replayable FF in the history of the franchise. I love all FF's but most FF's I can play once or twice and be done with the game. FF4 I can play over and over and over. Overall: 4 > 9 > 12 > 10 > 6 > 7 > 13 > 13-2 > 8 > 5 > 11 > 3 > 2 > 1 >>>>>> 10-2
  • Sinsational - May 19, 2013 3:56 a.m.

FF7's pretty overrated. Don't get me wrong, I love it too, but it definitely isn't the best of the entire series. For my favorites, I'd probably say... IX, IV, and then X.
  • evoxpisces - June 4, 2013 1:51 p.m.

The problem with FF7 are the fanboys and fangirls who treat it like it's a game of godly status, and it's not. FF7 is a very good game, don't get me wrong, but it's not on the level they put it at. No game is. Glad to see someone else who ranks FF9 and FF4 as their 2 top favorite FF's :-)
  • xFlash_Point - December 23, 2012 11:19 p.m.

It has to be VIII. (Unpopular vote, I know) But I love playing it. I could start over, and spend hours, days, just running around and drawing, playing Triple Triad. My only complaint would have to be the splitting up.. 'cause I wasn't too fond of Irvine, Selphie or Quistis, but as long as I had the others, I was having a blast. I thought the Junction thing was pretty sweet, and the theme of final fantasy, 'Love, War, and Betrayal,' was most obvious. I agree, it got a little weird sometimes, with the whole .. Ellone, Laguna, Sorceress thing. But I've played the others, and I'd still go back to VIII. So many memories ~ I play it over and over again. I liked VIII's fighting style, but VII had an interesting story. With all the side town visits.. maybe it's all the attention Cloud gets that puts it off for me? But now if we could just combine the two.. xDD Ah, but X and XII were great too. Especially XII. Why is it always left out? And dissidia! Oh god, all the Final Fantasy! xD I love them all~!
  • Vulneratus - December 23, 2012 1:19 p.m.

VII That is all
  • Vordhosbn - December 21, 2012 1:45 a.m.

7 is my favourite, I'm not one to pick a different game simply because 7 is "too popular", it was the one I enjoyed most, have fondest memories of and had, in my opinion, the greatest soundtrack. But I am damn glad to see Mystic Quest get a mention too. It is rough, not particularly well written, and nothing like other FF games, but it's got charm dammit! And it was the first FF game I played, way back when it first came out, so nostalgia.
  • Balaska - December 20, 2012 10:54 p.m.

IX. Heartwarmng story, easy to understand but deep customisation, great art style.
  • evoxpisces - June 4, 2013 1:58 p.m.

FF9 is a masterpiece in my opinion. The *only* thing I would say i didn't like about the game was that the battles were way too slow paced. Other than that the game is absolutely fantastic in almost every way.
  • TanookiMan - December 20, 2012 11:50 a.m.

So I'll preface by saying I'm not much of an RPG player, and could never really get into the Final Fantasy games. That's probably why my favorite would have to be FF XIII. It's the only one I was able to play all the way through, mostly because the streamlined world and mechanics made for a game that's really accessible to non-JRPG players. Plus, the game was beautiful.
  • ThundaGawd - December 20, 2012 10:31 a.m.

FFX was awesome if you were able to follow the story (took me 2 playthroughs to understand what was happening, first playthrough was when I was about 9 so I had trouble following anything), FFVII was also great, regardless of how people people say it was overhyped, it was still an amazing game, and I might be one of the few who actually enjoyed FFVIII, although the story was pretty much a big mess at first, it actually makes a disturbing amount of sense if you look at it from the "Squall dies" point of view.
  • apatheticmocha - December 20, 2012 9:14 a.m.

XI, VI, then VII :)
  • KA87 - December 20, 2012 5:37 a.m.

FF-12 is my personal fav. Loved the complex battle engine, the many different environment, and all of the fun side quests. The story and the antagonist needed some work, but I still love that game.
  • BladedFalcon - December 20, 2012 11:17 a.m.

Vayne did, yeah, but Cid was fucking amazing, and easily one of the most memorable FF villains.
  • Thedigitalg - December 20, 2012 4:59 a.m.

7, fuck the haters. The story, the materia system where you can play without deep customisation, but the deep customisation is there if you want it, the incredible soundtrack, and all of the spin-offs. I have played and watched them all, from Before Crisis to Crisis Core, from Advent Children to the On the Way to a Smile series. I don't think I'll play another game that means as much to me as FFVII.
  • Faruko - December 20, 2012 4:12 a.m.

Ohh and besides 4, its Tactics, the gameplay its already AWESOME (the classes are so great) and the story its the best of the series, EASILY, its so "real", like gamesradar said once, in their "Mature games that are really mature", and i quote them because i cuold not put it in a better way, "Final Fantasy Tactics, in comparison, seems grounded and believable. The wars, religions, political struggles, class conflict and international alliances of the Ivalice kingdom could pass for our own world’s convoluted history. Narrative points as dramatic as assassination, terrorism, economic crisis, slavery and even the ascent of an illegitimate heir each have their modern parallels" An Awesome story, and Beowulf Cadmus might be the best FF character along with Kain (4), Edge (4) and Amarant (9) (yeah... i like misterious character lol)
  • DBNS - December 20, 2012 4:04 a.m.

VI, VII & XII. It's a really tough call between VI & VII for my favorite FF game. In some ways, VI has aged better, but VII was so groundbreaking, so fucking incredible, it may well take the cake. After those two, XII easily takes 3rd for me. I would have loved to see a HD remake of it released on 12.12.12, but they missed out, and so did we.
  • avantguardian - December 20, 2012 7:40 a.m.

goddamn that would have been awesome. i would put another 100+ hrs into it no problem. the best thing would be all the folks who missed 12 because of it's late gen status could give it a go. i still think that's what prevents 12 from getting the love it so badly deserves.
  • dragoon713 - December 19, 2012 9:22 p.m.

I'm going to be the bold one and I do not care how much all of you give me but the first Crystal Chronicles was definitely my favorite one. So all you out there who about to hate on it can just keep your mouths shut.
  • mike-joestar - December 26, 2012 1:02 a.m.

You aren't alone the original was incredibly good, a shame the newer ones can't compare to it, however the title for my favorite FF is between Cristal Chronicles and VII.
  • cgriff63 - December 19, 2012 6:58 p.m.

I probably have to go with 10. despite the amount of nostalgic love I have for 7 and 9, 10 was the most brilliant and most challenging out of my favorites. and even if the voice acting is alittle weak and awkward at times, everything else about the game, including the story and the score, was fantastic.