• santaclouse37 - May 30, 2011 1:30 a.m.

I wholeheartedly agree with every point on this article. This is exactly why Matthew Keast needs to be on TDar more, especially now that the shorter podcast format will allow it.
  • Alroos13 - May 30, 2011 4:24 a.m.

Great read and a great article. Can't agree more.
  • TheSatur9 - May 30, 2011 8:59 a.m.

I believe many of these complaints are tied together. For example if there was less overly simplified mechanics or more mentally stimulating plots in E or T rated games I, as a teenager, would be happy to play fewer M rated games. Just my opinion, btw nice article.
  • stepjay - May 30, 2011 9:03 a.m.

L,A,Noire?
  • gilgamesh310 - May 30, 2011 11:02 a.m.

Uncharted really is a very very overrated series. As well as the stupid contrived way enemies are placed in them(inside tombs that the plaer only just discovered the existence of, really) it is also a big culprit of the babying syndrome. It's no better than Enslaved in that regard. In fact it's even worse. You have the game tell you to shoot a lock, even though it's clearly what any player with any shred of intelligence will do, straight away anyway. The platforming in the games is very mediocre as well. The storytelling and graphics in the games are great but that isn't reason enough as to why they deserve such hyperbolic praise.
  • DryvBy - May 30, 2011 12:22 p.m.

So you want realistic characters in gaming, but don't want a woman who is a ninny? Would we like a cup of ice cold hot coffee too?
  • Darkwun - May 30, 2011 12:27 p.m.

for gods sake GR!!! how many times am i gonna write on ur site only to have my comment disappear! anyway, not to nit pick, but in nearly the same breath u say girls shouldnt just be a guy with a gun... which, if im not mistaken, is very much with samus aran is! the very premise of getting everything in the original was for the "ta-da!" of the big reveal showing she is actually a woman... but then you bag on her because she has a serious flaw while talking about characters needing to be 3D? are you serious? i mean, i get what you're saying, but it's not to say the game is immature because you don't like the angle in which they took samus. the intrigue between samus and adam has always been one that needed deeper development... personally, i would have preferred a kind of best friend "HOOAH!" comradarie between them, but thats not to say she's demeaning to women! look at this way, im a 6'3" 250lb guy but i still have female friends that could give me a run for my money 1 on 1. still, some have daddy/mentor issues, they get all weepy 5 days a month and sure as hell still bore me with sex and the city episodes! so to bag on samus for being human seems futile by design. there are many ways to empower... sure she could be a stone faced hardened soldier, or she could just be a normal girl that happens to overcome her weaknesses and save the universe countless times... its really all a matter of perspective...! just my two pennies :)
  • BlackElement17 - May 30, 2011 2:56 p.m.

An good list. I'll be sure to quote it when disusing the topic.
  • Imgema - May 30, 2011 3:50 p.m.

@Guardian You don't know what you are talking about. The problem with OtherM is not the fact that Samus talks... its WHAT she says. The story is utterly crap, nobody gives a fu*k about the manga except you and some other anime fans, the gameplay is dumbed down for the casual crowd (even the creator himself admitted it), there is no exploration except after the normal ending, the soundtrack is non-existent,and it all feels like a stupid anime space melodrama. In other words it has nothing to do with the classic trilogy or the Primes.
  • CitizenThom - May 30, 2011 5:52 p.m.

Isn't there an inherent contradiction in saying that you don't want games to play it too safe with 'mature' content while at the same time demanding that portrayals of women only fit one politically correct definition? Your example from Soul Calibur 4, misses the fact that the character is one of a minority of the female characters in the game. Fighting games don't have a lot of story, but Ivy is the exception among the female characters, and the game has a variety of female characters, the majority of which don't have ZZ+ cup bras. If the same concept were used in more story driven genres, I think that's the ideal. Rather than having one cookie cutter type of female character (be it one restricted to the politically correct model, or one restricted to a pinup correct model), a variety of female characters is what I, as an adult, would like to see more of in video games. Uncharted 2, by simply having two kinds of female characters is a decent start in my opinion. Games won't get better by changing the singular definition of what a woman can be in a video game, but by moving away from having singular definitions in the first place. Adults don't require, nor in the end do they enjoy, political correctness, nor one dimensional female characters, nor for that matter one set of physical attributes on women. Adults are more than interested in seeing a wide variety of snowflakes, rather than being subjected to only getting to see one snowflake design throughout the course of a game.
  • Aletheon - May 30, 2011 6:08 p.m.

Metroid Other M wasn't offensive at all. To show emotion and fear temporarily and then overcommit is to be MORE human, not less. The attack on Other M are unwarranted and immature. Grizzled works for some games. Not every game needs "deep" characters. Sexism? Please. This tired old argument is always brought up by limp wristed pansies that don't understand reality and the world they are living in. A female being portrayed as a flat chested boy looking girl doesn't make that character automatically better than a female that has curves. Get over yourselves. Life includes all kinds, and it's equally discriminatory and "sexist" to single out women that actually look like women as being offensive.
  • Aletheon - May 30, 2011 6:10 p.m.

Thanks iPad. To OVERCOME not commit.
  • FamousMortimer - May 30, 2011 8:05 p.m.

F'n A.
  • QWERTYCommander - May 30, 2011 8:44 p.m.

"Look, we have nothing against kids and teenagers in principle." "'kids should be seen and not heard' (and preferably not seen either)" "In current forums, the moment we find out someone is under eighteen we ignore them because their opinions are stupid" Contradiction much? Also, you do know that old people have the same condition, right? Where they have an inflated sense of superiority that makes them think they're better than teenagers and young adults? Which is exactly what you're showing here? I'm not saying that I don't sometimes act like a little shit in online games. Because I do. But that's why I'm never going to buy a headset, so no one will hear me rage over how some stupid cunt stole my kill in an FPS and that he should burn in hell. Also, how do these sentences look? They're the same as your sentence above, but with some key differences: "The moment we find out someone is black we ignore them because their opinions are stupid" "The moment we find out someone is religious we ignore them because their opinions are stupid" "The moment we find out someone is female we ignore them because their opinions are stupid" How do those sentences sound to you? Do you think that's discriminatory? If so, then so is discrediting someone's opinion because they're under 18. Also, I'm 15. Oh crap, now you're going to completely ignore me because apparently, "my opinions are stupid".
  • JakeyBaby - May 30, 2011 10:26 p.m.

Great article. I actually thought Sam Gideon from Vanquish one of the more 3 dimensional characters in recent games too. He appears as the tough guy, when actually he's seeking friendship and approval... Like the rest of us :P
  • Darkwun - May 30, 2011 10:40 p.m.

screw u bitch! i dont wanna be your friend! nah im kidding... PLEASE LIKE ME!
  • gilgamesh310 - May 30, 2011 11:33 p.m.

Aletheon, yeah I agree. The grizzled nature of the characters suits the mood of a game like Gears of War. It wouldn't make sense if they were given deaper personalities. I thought the Dom/wife thing in GeoW 2 was fairly tacked on and unnecessary. I agree on the sexism thing too. Faith in Mirror's Edge may be realistically proportioned but hardly anything that she does in the game is anyway realistic and she still has a generic tough girl attitude.
  • Eyeofthestorm - May 30, 2011 11:54 p.m.

Being 14,I know that I may be "Immature"(yes I admit it,don't pretend to even believe you are mature fellow teens.)But,I do not want to be chained to a server with 10-15 year olds cussing and spewing nonsensical racial and derogatory terms.
  • Uberjuju - May 31, 2011 12:50 a.m.

>>> " Comedy, despite what some hacks might tell you, can’t be taught. You either are naturally funny, or you will never be funny." Great article except for that one bit. When I was in high school, I wanted to be the funny guy that made everyone laugh, but I had no knack for humor. In my senior year, I began to deconstruct any comedy that I encountered to figure out what makes it tick. In college, I watched humorous people carefully. If I became friends, I'd flat out ask them how they do it. A few were able to describe fairly well how they look at things in a different but deliberate manner to arrive at their humor. Eventually, I became the guy who can make most people laugh. Humor can be an innate talent much like music or art, but also like those latter two it can be a *learned* skill. I'll never be good enough to become known for comedy, but I can scribble out a funny story or get a few improvised laughs at a gathering. That's all I was after.
  • celticsfan645 - May 31, 2011 1:33 a.m.

Well, it appears i am just "Minor colatteral damage"