Topics

Top 7

• Jackonomics2.0 - January 28, 2014 7:34 a.m.

Baten Kaitos 2 essentially doomed the three protags hard which is why they are the final bosses of the first game as its a prequel. Any prequel really, including Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep.
  • mafyooz - January 28, 2014 12:10 a.m.

The all bad multiple endings of Singularity are part of the reason I love it as much as I do, anything that breaks the boring, idealised, "good guys always win" cliche is fine in my book :)
  • sgh341 - January 27, 2014 8:09 p.m.

Gotta admit, I fully expected Final Fantasy VI to be number one, not number eight. I mean sure, Kefka is eventually defeated, but that's much like a disease being cured after it wipes out five billion people; the final victory in FFVI is completely pyrric. Whole world ravaged to Hell, humanity being forced to rebuild itself... Jes' sayin'.
  • Shigeruken - January 27, 2014 5:44 p.m.

After finishing Reach, I was convinced I would find something interesting if I survived long enough. I must have played for hours after I finished my legendary run before I gave up on the idea.
  • winner2 - January 27, 2014 5:20 p.m.

I love how you acknowledge that the transformers game is ass.
  • talleyXIV - January 27, 2014 2:53 p.m.

You guys always say the Gears of Gear of War are the bad guys, they end up winning.
  • MeanwhileGuy - January 27, 2014 12:30 p.m.

I loved the ending to Halo: Reach. The text at the start of Lone Wolf reading "There'll Be Another Time..." and the single objective: Survive, is a very bittersweet ending for a Halo game, that for me is only matched by the ending of 4 (I also never guessed Halo was capable of not one, but multiple quiet drama scenes between Chief and Cortana). While it's a triumphant moment ensuring the Pillar of Autumn escapes and knowing the UNSC eventually wins the war (courtesy of the afore-mentioned Spartan-II), it was emotionally quite gutting that whatever you do, Noble Six is eventually overrun. I'd actually love to see another game involving Noble Team, but that's incredibly unlikely.
  • Doctalen - January 27, 2014 10:42 p.m.

This is why Reach is my favorite Halo game in the series. For some meh writing it still manages to pull a accomplishment in giving both a sense of pride and regret for playing out the story. At least it did for me. Its also in my opinion the only Halo game to really make the characters earn the title of Spartan for all of its historical parallels. In the others Chief just kinda fucks shit up and saves the day while maybe loosing a friend here and there, normal attempt at an emotional victory. Where as Reach takes everything from the character and doesn't even reward the player with a "you saved humanity again awesome job on the sacrifice"
  • NightbornAngel - January 27, 2014 12:11 p.m.

Bulletstorm is a good one too, all that work and Sorano escapes, and as far as I know, #2 was canned, so NO CLOSURE FOR YOU
  • BladedFalcon - January 27, 2014 11:51 a.m.

I said it below, but I'll say it again here, and I'll elaborate: I think Odin Sphere is the ultimate example of the Bad Guys winning, more than any other example in this list. OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR ODIN SPHERE ABOUND So the entire game you have 5 heroes trying to stop the mad kings and forces of evil that wish to destroy the world, and bring about the apocalypse. Well, despite your best efforts, your actions inadvertently are what make the apocalypse ultimately happen no matter what. And really, at this point this means the bad guys won. Even though the game has 3 possible endings, in all of them the destruction of almost all life still happens, and how good the ending you get is still a Pyhrric victory at best. In the bad ending, everyone, including every single main character, straight out dies, and the entire world goes to hell. In the decent ending, the main romantic couple of your protagonists survive, and the other couple also makes it... but they do so as a cursed race, unable to procreate. The best ending has BOTH couples surviving and able to procreate, but still... you have 4 people out of the ENTIRE world surviving the whole ordeal. I'd hardly call that a victory for the good guys.... The reason why I think this tops all the other entires in this list, is because in all of those have in one way or another, a silver lining or hope that sooner or later good will make a come back and ultimately win. Or at least, the entire population of living beings in the world wasn't destroyed. Here, the silver lining you get is just a couple of survivors to start again... But the world we knew if effectively, completely destroyed. There's no hope for comeback, no nothing. It's starting all over again... with 4 people to repopulate the earth again. No other ending here is nearly as shitty nor such a contundent victory for the bad guys, since this IS what the main bad guys of Odin Sphere wanted, and they succeeded.
  • shawksta - January 27, 2014 11 a.m.

Great list. As it sometimes count, it sucks when the game tricks you into thinking that you stood a chance at a certain battle only to fail miserably and die for it. Red Dead Redemption and Crisis Core Final Fantasy 7 did it with utter pain in the fact that you thought you even had a chance and made you a fool for it by punishing you with a story forced death.
  • Vonter - January 27, 2014 10:44 a.m.

I think Lord of Shadows can be also seen from that perspective since the Brotherhood of Light turn Gabriel into a monster (figuratively speaking) to clean up their mess and even after defeating Satan it was everyone but Gabriel who won (that includes the people that started the mess). God of War also has also a sour note since the protagonist is a brute animal that passed the first game become this unstoppable force that selfishly killed the deities of his world and even if he gave humanity hope, the consequences of his actions can't be interpreted other than spreading chaos and anarchy around him. If we follow the Batman mythos in every continuity he lets the Joker die, that's a loss for Batman. In Arkham City I think the developers also wanted to accentuate that with the ending having Batman put to the breaking point of neither being able to save the woman he loves nor the man that represents his polar opposite and in a way the one who putted him in line when doing his duty. My favorite even though it's not the ending is FF VI since I think is the most drastic showing of a villain conquering the world. Also Mother 3 ending while being more about faith in the face of adversity is very tragic in it's depiction of well... the end.
  • shawksta - January 27, 2014 11:01 a.m.

To be fair, in a certain kind of way, everything in God Of War was justified, especially in 3 when Kratos went after pratically everyone.
  • pl4y4h - January 27, 2014 11:11 a.m.

I was thinking the exact same thing for those last two you mentioned. That being said, i reeeeeeeeally need to finish FF VI
  • BladedFalcon - January 27, 2014 11:33 a.m.

1.- Even if Gabriel was manipulated and he eventually turns into Dracula. He DOES destroy the Lords of Shadow and he fends of Satan, sparing the world from his wrath and thus, a victory for "Good". Sure, the effects of that lead to an arguably worse foe in Gabriel himself as Dracula, but we're talking about single games here, and in Lords of Shadow alone, the side of good DID win, even if it was at the cost of Gabriel's humanity. 2.- I assume you're talking specifically about God of War 1. If so, then you're wrong again. Sure, Kratos wasn't a good guy by any means, but what he does in the end IS for good, since whereas Kratos is just a Dick, Ares was actively an evil God, manipulative, ambitious and Power Hungry, had he not been killed by Kratos, it's not unplausible to think he could have overtaken the rest of Olympus and made the entire world a shittier place. Kratos is a murdering, miserable bastard, but ultimately he doesn't care about gaining absolute power. The lesser of two evils, sure, but it still can't be considered as a victory for evil. 3.- Who cares if it's a Loss for Batman? This is a list abut the games in which "the protagonist loses" or "the protagonist doesn't get his way". Joker dying in the end IS a victory for good in the end, since had he survived he'd keep on killing, him dying means any destruction at his hands stops, and that's a GOOD thing. 4.-I d agree with this one to an extent, because even though the good guys DO ultimately Destroy Kefka, By the time they do it most of the world has been destroyed, and it's all the shittier for it. And I mean, if the ending of Modern Warfare 2 counts, then this one definitely counts. I have a worse one than FFVI though: Odin Sphere. SPOILERS FOR ODIN SPHERE! So in FFVI, most of the world is destroyed, but there are still pockets of civilization and it's safe to assume that at least thousands still live, right? Well, not so in Odin's Sphere, in which unbeknownst to our heroes, they inadvertently cause the apocalypse, and EVEN if they do everything right in order to stop, All living beings are killed anyway. Only if you reach the very best ending, you discover that a whooping FOUR people remain alive, 4 of your 5 protagonists to be precise, and it's up to those 2 males and 2 females to repopulate the world again.... yay?
  • Vonter - January 27, 2014 11:48 a.m.

Well I was thinking more in the theme of the fallen hero with some examples (You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain). Still in the end like you said the protagonist loses in each of this games albeit it being an heroic sacrifice for "the greater good". Gabriel loses his humanity, Kratos become a more chaotic God of War, Batman its put pass the breaking point (if their is a sequel the events of this game will carry to the character, because it was a personal loss for him [even the DLC teased on Batman becoming a harsher person]). For the means of the article I agree I jumped the gun since several examples are more fitted of heroes becoming villains and/or becoming the monster they were fighting all along.
  • BladedFalcon - January 27, 2014 1:16 p.m.

Well yeah. I understand what you meant, but this list referred specifically about bad guys that ultimately got away with what they wanted, or ended up coming ahead. Not about Protagonists that ended up losing or becoming the monster they ere fighting
  • g1rldraco7 - January 27, 2014 10:32 a.m.

So sad, and yet it's all scripted so what can you do about it?