Topics

Top 7

• brickman409 - January 14, 2013 6:35 p.m.

wow the concept for the multiplayer in killer freaks from outer space was exactly the same as the multiplayer in ZombiU
  • NuAngel - January 14, 2013 4:38 p.m.

Assassin's Creed started out as a Prince of Persia game.
  • SirCheesedip - January 14, 2013 4:34 p.m.

What about how Super Smash Bros (N64) was originally didn't star Nintendo characters? It was originally called Dragon King: A Fighting Game. Here's a pic of it http://images.wikia.com/ssb/images/f/f3/Dragon-King--The-Fighting-Game.jpg
  • Unoriginal - January 14, 2013 2:41 p.m.

Well, there is always the stereotypical, perhaps original, example of this happening in games. The infamous Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario Bros. 2 switcharoo. Then there is the awesome case of Activision having almost published a game called "Guitar Hero Adventure" that thankfully made it out as Brutal Legend.
  • archnite - January 15, 2013 2 p.m.

Is that true about GH: Adventure? Brutal Legend was a Tim Shaffer (Double Fine) joint and he said it was an idea he held onto for quiet some time before finally doing it. And that Activision wanted it to have a country theme. *Sourced from GI reveal article.
  • Unoriginal - January 22, 2013 11:20 a.m.

It was a news rumour some time ago. Although it was Tim Schaffers, while he was developing under Activision they did their best to try and tie it into the, then, phenomenon that was GH.
  • The_Tingler - January 14, 2013 1:19 p.m.

I'll break a lot of gamers' hearts if I say what LucasArts were working on before they settled on The Force Unleashed (Zombies Ate My Neighbours 3, Republic Commando 2, and Knights of the Old Republic 3). id Software and Quake III Arena went through a few interesting strides. First they were working on a Quake II mission pack and a new title called Trinity. Then the mission pack became a full sequel to Quake II, with the Strogg, and Trinity was put on hold. Then they ditched the single-player and launched a multiplayer-only game with a brand new 3D card-only engine, which Epic ripped off quickly and made the annoyingly superb Unreal Tournament. Trinity went to the same guys who made Return To Castle Wolfenstein, who Activision promptly shut down and Trinity died forever. Sob. How about that The Wind Waker was original a proper non-cartoony Zelda?
  • jackthemenace - January 14, 2013 1:06 p.m.

From the second I read the title, I knew Devil May Cry was gonna be on here, and to this day, both DMC and Resi 4 remain two of my favourite games. If weren't for DMC, I'd be nowhere near as into games as I am today. That said, stuff like the Popeye game really surprised me, and even saddened me a little bit. I respect Mario, on a professional level, but I much prefer Popeye. I mean, Popeye had his own blockbuster movie too, and he does end up getting the girl, usually. But what was the eventual Miyamoto Popeye game, and is it still available?
  • shawksta - January 14, 2013 12:37 p.m.

Awesome article, you makes you wonder what wouldve happened if the license for Popey didnt go apeshit and said No XD In light of Star Fox adventures, what basically happened couldnt be more simpler explained than what Jon Tron http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LPQ6nT4UpA&t=3m25s here's a little tidbit, people already seen the beta paper mario and how it looked but also even deeper the original prototype was originally gonna use sprites from super mario world before thinking of the Paper style to walk around flat in an open world http://www.mariowiki.com/File:MRPG64.jpg
  • ObliqueZombie - January 14, 2013 12:02 p.m.

Great article! Though I'm a reasonably big Dead Space fan, I would have loved seeing a System Shock sequel. I've never actually played a System Shock (since I can't find a place to purchase it, and the free downloads that are apparently legitimate never seem to work for me), but I've heard beyond great things about System Shock 2 from "horror aficionados." And watching those UNSC marines... jump? Roll? Fly? around was quite a site to see. Glad to know Halo didn't die of mediocrity trying to compete with large RTS names out there... or on an Apple system.
  • The_Tingler - January 14, 2013 12:58 p.m.

System Shock 2 is sadly stuck in legal limbo, with EA, Irrational, and some insurance company all owning parts. This happened so immediately there wasn't even a budget release of the game, but if you can download it do so. To use modern context, imagine Dead Space's setting, horror, and some enemies mixed with Bioshock's gameplay (and twist, kind of). Oh, and a more serious GLaDOS as the antagonist. System Shock 1 on the other hand can be got quite easily for free here, but the controls are atrocious: http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=211.0
  • ObliqueZombie - January 14, 2013 4:37 p.m.

I'll definitely keep looking, because it's high on my list of older games to play. And you telling me that, well... I'm gonna need to find this.
  • Imgema - April 7, 2014 11:26 p.m.

Aren't both games available at GOG?
  • ZenRobot - January 14, 2013 10:43 p.m.

my mom bought me System Shock 2 and Half Life for my 12th birthday. I played the shit out of Half life but couldn't get into SS2 because it ran horribly on my computer and also freaked me out when it was working. A few years ago I finally played System Shock 2 (it took some creative downloading) and I must admit: It's one of my favorite games of all time. Don't stop trying to play it until you play it. you will NOT be disappointed.