Topics

Top 7

• Fadakar - January 22, 2013 12:09 a.m.

How has no one mentioned Fable?
  • The_Tingler - January 22, 2013 8:44 a.m.

Because it was a good game that actually sold well? Even if you don't think it was a good game, it still sold very well, so most definitely not a flop. Read the article title at least before you comment.
  • GAYMER - January 22, 2013 12:03 a.m.

Holly crap, Shenmu was supposed 12 games?!?!
  • GAYMER - January 22, 2013 12:11 a.m.

* to be12 games ?!?!
  • Churchy99 - January 22, 2013 9:55 a.m.

As far as I understand it, it isn't 12. It's actually 16. However, these 16 "games" turned into chapters. The first game was chapter 1. Chapter 2 on the boat was skipped. The second game combined Chapters 3,4,5 and 6. The best source I've seen on Shenmue 3 info (and information for the whole series) is here: http://shenmuedojo.net/new/games/s3preview.html This is one of the few games where I follow it this deeply!
  • poothurdur32 - June 16, 2014 6:24 p.m.

I believe Farenheit/Indigo Prophecy was supposed to be something like 18 episodes but as soon as they got done with Chapter 1, they realized there wasn't enough time or budget to make all 18, so they shoehorned all of the plot elements into the story and hoped it would work, I think. Shadow of the Colossus was originally gonna have 48 Colossi, but was very quickly downsized to 24, and then finally released with 16.
  • GOD - January 21, 2013 11:43 p.m.

Like others have said, Too Human. It fits this article way too well and the tag line for it's slide could even be "Too Ambitious". I remember that thing being hyped for months and months as the best game that would ever be and then when it finally came out I didn't even know. It was in development for 10 years. In terms of ambitious failures that has to count for something?
  • The_Tingler - January 22, 2013 8:48 a.m.

Yep, I agree, I think that makes a much better No. 1 than Duke Nukem Forever (which actually sold well). Too Human not only did so badly, and was so crap, that Silicon Knights tried to sue or threaten people to deflect the spotlight on the game to the point where it ended up with the entire game being banned. Now THAT'S a flop.
  • ThatGamerDude - January 21, 2013 11:03 p.m.

Should I feel good or bad that I've only played one of these games (Fuel)? In the case for Fuel, yes the map design was horrible. It took longer driving to a location than actually racing and the AI either made you a racing legend or complete crap. I assume the lesson here is to never make an open-world, off road racing game.
  • TheDudeFromNowhere - January 21, 2013 11:02 p.m.

I've actually always wanted to try Lair. I guess the reason would be that it reminded me of Panzer Dragoon. And Shenmue was a great game for when it came out. Too bad it never got the recognition it deserved.
  • winner2 - January 22, 2013 10:09 a.m.

I would actually try lair if you get a chance. I know I said its shit, but it at least let's you ride dragons and do dragon vs dragon arial combat (most badass mechanic that could ever be in a game). And I never knew they put in a stick scheme as an alternative to the six axis so I'll probably try it again.
  • Sentient - January 21, 2013 10:50 p.m.

Advent Rising did have one of the best soundtracks in gaming though; same with Nier actually
  • D0CCON - January 21, 2013 9:31 p.m.

As so many others have mentioned, Too Human was the first game I thought of when I read the headline.
  • tehtimeisnow - January 21, 2013 7:32 p.m.

and duke nukam forvever was a amazeing gane and it shuold have selled way much more beter but the stuped idoit fanbuoys on the intenret gived it bad scores cuz there stuped
  • tehtimeisnow - January 21, 2013 7:30 p.m.

lare was a garbege gane and sony sukcs and makeing games thats y the plestatoin 3 came in dead last place
  • pl4y4h - January 21, 2013 7 p.m.

Daikatana? All I can think about is jontron now
  • NuAngel - January 21, 2013 6:41 p.m.

Be sure to update this article when Half Life 3 comes it! It'll take the title over from Duke! -How about Star Craft II / Diablo III (Good, not great?). Or even Unreal 2 (a new engine launch with little fanfare because everyone was waiting for the next Unreal Tournament?). Also... the entire Atari Jaguar.
  • doominatorx6 - January 21, 2013 6:34 p.m.

I expected Duke. I bought it day one, not expecting a masterpiece; but just good, dumb fun. What I ended up playing was bad. Really bad. As in "would have been laughed at in 2007" bad. But did I still enjoy it? In parts, yes. But all that build-up/delaying leads to unrealistic expectations. Hence why Half Life 3 (or Episode 3 if that even still exists) will fail if it ever comes out.
  • shawksta - January 21, 2013 6:25 p.m.

Nice list, lots of the comments say Too Human, although i dont know what that is. Duke Nukem is massively understandable over why it hit the shitter, ill give the game one thing, Duke's personality in that game was 10/10 too bad the gameplay couldnt match up
  • RedHarlow - January 21, 2013 6 p.m.

I actually kind of enjoyed Lair.