• larkan - July 11, 2012 8:05 a.m.

So what you're saying is....games are more creative than ever, but they all follow the path of 3 or 4 trendsetters, just making subtle changes here and there? Sounds like you've backed yourself into a corner. And I don't have myself to blame for anything, I'm perfectly happy with all of my PC and PS3 games. Myself and the other people out there with a brain that haven't bought into the CoD, Assassin's Creed, or any other cookie cutter series are the ones that are flourishing right now. There are so many mods for games on the PC it's staggering. Take Skyrim, Torchlight, Garry's Mod, and others for example....you can get free mods that drastically alter the game itself, giving new experiences.
  • ChristopherDalley - July 11, 2012 8:27 a.m.

No. And what the actual fuck? What corner of your arse did you pull that deduction from, genius? He's saying that if you don't just go exclusively with the yearly releases of Ass. Creed (lol) and COD, then that's a point to you! Well done! You're not as ignorant as David Cage! And what's that bit about mods at the end for? Are you sure commented on the right article? Do you need help? Are you single? I'm single. Just throwing that out there.
  • rxb - July 11, 2012 7:58 a.m.

Good article Hooters. I agree with most of it but do think with the seeming loss of sales in middle ground of games [AAA or indie nothing else]we do have less innovation and choice in console gaming.
  • SentientSquidMachine - July 11, 2012 7:53 a.m.

Cage a pompous douche? do go on. So if you grew up with any system before the ps1 then you remember that pretty much every game in its respective genre played almost identically, and each game still made us giddy. Oh no, everyone is incorporating cover shooting mechanics and bows, thats horrible....unless you like gears of war and mass effect and every game with a bow option. I agree, just play the games. Don't think its going to be fun, buy something else. everything is the same? then go do something else with your time and dont point your nose to high into the air. its summer so there's all sorts of things flying around. Oh and HEY CAGE, stop releasing your projects as "games" and take your stories and make something like Advent Children or FF:The Spirits Within....I'd watch Heavy Rain as a highly polished CGI film.
  • Viron - July 11, 2012 7:44 a.m.

My favorite part of Heavy Rain is when he yelled "SHAUN".
  • SchwartzEdithh - July 11, 2012 7:19 a.m.

as Thomas said I'm dazzled that some people can get paid $5465 in one month on the computer. have you seen this website(Click on menu Home more information) http://goo.gl/u6E9M
  • Redeater - July 11, 2012 7:10 a.m.

"David Cage thinks gaming creativity is in trouble." David Cage is also a shameless self promoter who has probably never seen any of the fantastic indie games released as of late. Journey has more soul, heart and beauty than anything he has hacked out. I enjoy Cage games the same way I enjoy movies like Troll 2. (Which is actually a pretty apt comparison since most of the Troll 2 actors had language barrier problems.)
  • Lurkero - July 11, 2012 6:29 a.m.

Mainstream isn't meant to be innovative, it's meant to be mainstream. That means giving people what they already want. There are some companies willing to place some innovation in their mainstream (see Nintendo during the N64 years being a good example), but in rough economic times innovation on a small scale is much more likely than innovation on a large scale. If one wants innovation right now it's best to pay attention to games with a smaller budget.
  • ParagonT - July 11, 2012 6:21 a.m.

"Because the fact is that games are creatively healthier than they have ever been, and you have no-one to blame but yourself if you can't see that." --------- To say this at the very beginning, then say this: ----- "I get that there are problems. Don’t get me wrong here, I’m not saying that every publisher in the world is bursting at the seams with a shimmering rainbow of benevolent creative ideas. I’m not saying that this year’s big E3 press conferences were exactly a bounty of eclectic innovation. They weren’t. They were a quagmire of indistinct perma-killing. Going off their evidence alone, every big triple-A franchise now looks and plays the same. Every game is an identikit gore cocktail, made up of the same bits of Gears of War, Assassin’s Creed and Uncharted. Choosing between them is like trying to make a qualitative judgment over different brands of bottled water." Your a flat out hypocrite. Besides, innovation is not only determined by what the customers buy. It's also determined by the fact that you can't just "break into" the industry without a huge sum of capital, and thus your games are like you said "playing it safe". Then once your there, it's hit or miss before you sink. So I'm not sure why you think to make that heading, and make it seem like your above it. Another problem is that the console heads all have say so of what games are able to be published on their system. That gives a lesser edge to independent developers who cannot afford to go into mass production, or flat out rejected. Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony are companies that have been in the business for awhile or are huge conglomerate cooperations that own some development companies and some own much more, so they have breathing room. Other new development companies must file in line with the publishers that will give them security, as what is seen with Activision and EA because of the rising game making and marketing cost. Not to say gaming is becoming super bad, but it's definitely lacking. PC should not have this problem since it's the most Indie-friendly. The only problem is that many gamers play on consoles, which is more cost effective to be sure, but it hinders the advancement in gaming in many ways than just one. Consoles rule the market, but it gives too much power to the cooperations and who may develop for it. They try to keep you on consoles with exclusives and console only releases as well, so its hard to break away from the model.
  • wheresmymonkey - July 11, 2012 5:51 a.m.

I think Waht cage said was just him hocking his wares. As much as i enjoy the games he makes he really should just keep his mouth shut and let his wares do the tslking, problem being that after replaying Heacy rain a few times and revisiting Fahrenheit i've come to realise that they're relatively barren gameplaywise and narratively they're on par with a bad made for tv movie and he always manages to cock up the final act in some way and all the nudity in his games comes off as creepy and juvenile. Not being a shooter and using real actors isn't revolutionary. Hell thats what the whole adventure game genre is based upon and has been done better by other people. You want the kind of nuanced mature story telling he promised us before giving us shlocky crap go out and get a copy any of the broken sword or gabriel knight games. Fancy something newer download the walking dead (for that matter any tell tale game) or To the moon, If you own a wii go out and give anyone of the numerous underappreciated gems on that a whirl, i particulay reccommend Fragile Dreams and Shattered Memeories, The joke about quantic dream for me at least is that their most original and groundbreaking game was The Nomad soul which was a mismatch of gameplay styles (3d fighter, fps and open world adventure) had a unique hook, you never died you just possessd a new body and a kick ass soundtrack by David Bowie. For all the posturing for me at least they still havent managed to top that.
  • thedirektor - July 11, 2012 5:10 a.m.

I will comment about the post when I'm done reading it. Right now I'm in infinite loop with Michael Bay Presents video.
  • Cyberninja - July 11, 2012 4:19 a.m.

Nintendo is the only argument you need when people say games are lacking creativity and innovation.
  • OohWiiUILookJustLikeBuddyHolly - July 11, 2012 4:32 a.m.

I'm sorry but adding crappy motion controls to Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Majora's twilight swordswaker just doesn't count as innovation.
  • gopikmin - July 11, 2012 5:07 a.m.

it is innovation. look up the definition of innovation. motion control is fairly decent unless you move your arms spasmaticly
  • SignorSpielbergo - July 11, 2012 3:48 a.m.

Sorry Dave but I sort of agree with David Cage - at least to a degree. You are right about all of those games that you mentioned, but all of them are either low-budget indie titles or PC (with the exception of Dishonoured). Mainstream gaming for someone like me revolves around consoles - I have a PS3 and a laptop, and gaming to me comes out of my tellybox from my expensive console what I spent loads of money on while I sit on my sofa. While there are definitely great, original games on the PSN (Journey, Quantum Conundrum, etc) they just aren't the same as a big-budget, blockbuster release. When incredible, full-price games come through, they tend to struggle (Bulletstorm, Rayman: Origins). Games like these are the kind of thing we love playing the most, hence why we pay so much for them - they're big-budget entertainment and we want the most from them for our hard-spent cash. Cage's point is relevant in the same way as your argument about film is valid - for every Battleship, there's a Primer, but you really have to look hard to find those quality films. Sticking with this parallel, Cage want's more Inceptions in the industry - huge, big-budget, AAA titles that sell brilliantly, but have incredible intelligence and originality. Trouble is, they're rare, and he wants to make one of those games, which is something to be applauded, surely? Having said this, I do feel that the past couple of years have given us some of the best games ever made. Uncharted 3, Portal 2, Batman: Arkham City & Skyrim have all snuck into my top games of all time list, so AAA originality isn't dead, but I do feel that Cage's point is that for every one of those there are 5 Duke Nukem's and 6 Medal of Honour's.
  • yonderTheGreat - July 11, 2012 4:06 a.m.

Yeah, except you're wrong. There has never been a better time to be a game-maker. You've got traditional game-making routes, as well as games for phones, games for XBLA and PSN, Valve's Steam platform, and a new console generation coming up in 1.5 years. The idea that innovation is dead has never been more wrong, except for possibly the very, very early 80s and the very early 90s. We're in a heyday. If you can't understand that, it's your own fault.
  • bebl09 - July 11, 2012 10:25 a.m.

I think you misunderstood what his whole post was about. He wasn't saying that there's no innovation in gaming, he was saying that the innovative games aren't the big-budget games, they're the smaller, often downloadable games like Braid or Journey, and that when there does tend to be a big-budget full-release innovative game, it doesn't sell well, which is why you don't see many of them. I'd have to say I agree with him, too. The example of Inception is a valid one, and I'd probably compare it to something like Bioshock. Both were amazingly refreshing and innovative examples of their respective media, and both were high-budget products that went on to do well financially as well as critically. The problem is that this is the exception rather than the norm, which is why you don't often see triple-A games truly innovating because the publisher sees it as a risk. Obviously a game doesn't have to be ground-breakingly innovative to be a good game, but you don't see a lot of new IPs coming out that truly do something new. Saying that, Naughty Dog must be applauded for The Last of Us which looks like it's going to be incredible. Obviously it's not something 100% brand new but the way they do it, the detail they put into the world, the way the characters interact, and the way you can truly approach the same situation in a number of different ways and have totally different outcomes that affect the game itself all have me really excited for it.
  • thecakeisalie96 - July 11, 2012 3:46 a.m.

"I find my palm meeting my face at painfully high speed, with an almost sexual level of attraction" I applaud you sir, best sentence ive heard in awhile.
  • PistonTwister - July 11, 2012 3:36 a.m.

I more or less agree with this Dave. The only thing is, it strikes me that many of the titles you've named to champion the plight of creativity would be to gaming, what art house films are to the movie industry. Because of this they will never gain much traction in the mainstream consciousness anyway. I think what Cage might be getting at (if hes not just whoring his own wares, which is likely) is that the mainstream audience which props up this industry and accounts for the bulk of the money swimming around in it, is capable of appreciating more complex and interesting gameplay than simply shooting men with a variety of guns. This mainstream audience is never going to read websites extensively or follow forum debates in order to educate themselves on the hidden gems of gaming. They are going to rely on what the marketing departments churn out, what they see on TV etc etc. And even though they are not "hardcore" they should still be able to expect a little more variety in their gaming diet than endless manshooters. For example mainstream cinema caters for many more people than just teens who like micheal bay movies. Between the months of September and April every year, the cinema listings are packed with big budget hollywood films which can be both entertaining and thought provoking. Hollywood A listers star in them. They arent hard to find out about. They, like the transformers movies of this world, are also well marketed. So my point is that mainstream cinema isnt wall to wall mindless explosions. But it certainly feels like mainstream gaming is at the moment. You mentioned Dishonored. This is what Im getting at. Dishonored is a Triple A game that will be advertised to within an inch of its life. Everyone will know about. It will be all pervasive. But its shaping up to be something which could rival Deux Ex and Thief. Why can't more big budget, retail games which sit in shop stores beside COD, be like Dishonored? Why must people who need a bit more depth from their games have to be up to speed on whats coming out on the PSN next week. It shouldnt be this way....
  • Ravenwild - July 11, 2012 3:29 a.m.

This. It's also good to see GR UK people talking about non-console games which I feel needs to happen more in the podcast. Maybe you should one episode all play a pc game the 2 weeks before and talk about it.