Topics

WTF

• ThePrivateer - September 22, 2010 11:17 p.m.

You know, I actually love climbing in games. I don't find it tedious or annoying. And as for ICO, it's not sacred (that's Okami), but it's damn fun. But I don't like these kind of articles - biased whining.
  • boxmeizter - September 22, 2010 11:21 p.m.

PMS? Check yourself before you wreck yourself. agreed with the escort missions btw
  • FauxFurry - September 22, 2010 11:23 p.m.

The one thing I never got in games with functional magic and locked doors in the same place is why one can't just always use a lock-picking spell (true,the Elder Scrolls games have them available, but they should be basic for magic users)or just melt the locks while stronger characters could just 'finesse' any pesky locking mechanism in between them and glory. Climbing isn't that bad in games with super powered characters as you pointed out with Prototype or its spiritual predecessor, Hulk:Ultimate Destruction (hey,I don't mean 'spiritual' in that way! Stan Lee forbid that such an accusation be leveled at an Incredible Hulk game! No deep introspection there. It's not an adaptation of the Ang Lee Hulk movie, after all.)Judging by the demo of that game that Talk Radar has been promoting, Blade Kitten, a character with cat's claws can climb up walls as naturally as running down an incline if not more so. Man may be a type of primate, but they should probably leave the climbing in games up to robots,mutants monsters and cat girls from now on. As for escort missions, the most painful I can recall in recent years was in Resident Evil 5,an experience that many other people here seem to have shared only in regards to the opposite character. Nothing is worse than trying to babysit a muscle bound behemoth who refuses to stay back like a good boy and do what he's told, often shouldering right by Sheva, throwing off her aim if not obstructing it altogether. At least Sheva is small enough to stay out out one's line if fire most of the time and holds up the rear rather well. That silly All-American man always has to be the center of attention even as the AI sidekick! Off-topic:Is this reCAPTCHA thing trying to inform you that you've "earned ulacep"? If ulacep is the bane of spammers, you've earned it right in the nick of time.
  • Eliath - September 22, 2010 11:24 p.m.

Jim, glad to see your articles here at gamesradar. I agree with pretty much everything, especially the escort missions and the stealth missions. I hate when developers come up with some crap story like in the start of Uncharted 2 where "I don't want to kill anyone", so rather than killing someone that sees you and escaping you just let yourself get a game over. Total suckage, especially when I have to wait since it's a crap stealth timing section. I just wanted to shout at Mr. Drake and call him a giant wuss. I hate lockpicking, too. It makes sense that you need to pick locks in RPGs, but developers should just make it like Baldur's Gate or even automatic with the right class around i.e. Neverwinter Nights. Baldur's Gate just needed a rogue in the party and a button press to use a thief "skill" on the lock and you were done, unless your thief sucked. So it felt like you were breaking into things without slowing down the game. In Neverwinter if you clicked on a locked item and had a rogue in the party, they would say something to your character, walk up, and unlock it.
  • Eliath - September 22, 2010 11:26 p.m.

@FauxFurry The old Infinity Engine D&D games had a Knock spell that let a mage open locks for you. I agree with your comment. Also, reCAPTCHA is getting ridiculous as many users have stated. Sorry for the double post.
  • Grr_Badger - September 22, 2010 11:48 p.m.

My god seriously this article is really dead pan. Gamesradar gets me through my days at work the UK gamesradar articles are brilliant informative and enjoyable....... Then the US stuff comes along and is just a bunch of un enjoyable sentences. There is no passion or relevence to the article what so ever. GamesRadar UK - Love you guys GamesRadar US - Pull your thumbs out or just go make your own website.
  • sleepy92ismypsn - September 22, 2010 11:48 p.m.

About the last paragraph...fuck you Jim Sterling. If you can't appreciate Ico for what it is then don't play it. Go back to destructoid you peice of shit.
  • Grif - September 23, 2010 12:05 a.m.

The only time I actually enjoyed and felt something for the person I had to guard was probably guarding Cereza in Bayonetta
  • Brutalicus - September 23, 2010 12:08 a.m.

Stealth is annoying ONLY when it's the only way to get through a game. I had a great time shooting my way through MGS4 the first time, then stealthing through later. Likewise with Uncharted, I tried to stay quiet and snap as many necks as I could before I was inevitably spotted and the grenades started flying. And climbing... at least Uncharted gave you some epic backdrops to look at, and it was pretty hard to mess up (and be forced to re-do). Just played Uncharted 1 & 2 for the first time this week and I must say, finally my PS3 really earned its spot next to the console that keeps Mass Effect 2 safe inside it (as much as I dislike Xbox).
  • Sabtos - September 23, 2010 12:10 a.m.

I LOVE CLIMBING! Viewpoints in AC got a little tiring, but I still had fun! This is a rare disagreement in which I'm positive! Yes Exclamation Point !
  • Dumas - September 23, 2010 12:11 a.m.

I sort of agree with climbing in games.Games like Uncharted are really boring when it comes to climbing....You have a certain path you have to follow which kinda sucks. And stealth in games is always fun, for example Call of Duty: Modern Warfare's sniper level with Captain Macmillan, Best thing ever in any Call of Duty game....The first couple times anyway.
  • Sabtos - September 23, 2010 12:12 a.m.

However, the last two, hammering buttons and babysitting, RIGHT ON MFERs!
  • paganpoet - September 23, 2010 12:22 a.m.

All the Resident Evil 5 hate...I understand what you all mean, but I can't stay mad at Sheva or Chris. They're too attractive.
  • AnonymouZ - September 23, 2010 12:33 a.m.

goddamn... this article reads like it was written by someone who didn't like videogames at all xD
  • Thegynecologistwithchipmunkcheeks - September 23, 2010 12:33 a.m.

I didn't mind Oblivion's too much because lock picking is easy once you've got the skeleton key, just button mash X until it opens up, but for other games it eventually becomes a pain in the ass.
  • alphaman - September 23, 2010 12:59 a.m.

Escort missions (babysitting) are often found in these lists, and rightfully so, however there has been one HUGE exception to this: the Freespace series. Granted, at least half (maybe even 3/4) of the content revolves around such protection so it's not exactly a one-off mission in the games, but it was done well in them, and fits the nature of the game. One of the few non-flight/space sim series that did this well (depending on opinion) has been Elder Scrolls, with "essential" characters for many such missions. Sure, might be a tad less immersive, but they can actually help out and serve as nice decoys.
  • batmanboy11 - September 23, 2010 1:16 a.m.

I am also sick of these things.
  • outlyer - September 23, 2010 1:45 a.m.

Toss in the "follow without being spotted" missions and the one-off driving sections for good measure. And running up in walls as in Prototype should be standard for any game that can even seldomly justify it (*cough*inFamous*cough*Crackdown*cough*)
  • Fusionmix - September 23, 2010 1:45 a.m.

OH DEAR GOD WITH THE STEALTHING. I almost quit Wind Waker with that stupid Forbidden Fortress crap. That level sucked.
  • NappyAfro - September 23, 2010 2:29 a.m.

I had no ideal this was the Week of Hate cause. I might be part of the minority that doesn't agree with this article at all. There are some good points, like the climbing but the final few paragraphs about escorting some 'bitch' is just down right offensive.