• SillyPigeon - July 21, 2011 4:43 p.m.

I love these 'history of...' articles. But I can't take a guy called 'Captain America' seriously, it's just too silly. Now Captain Britain that's a REAL hero we can all be proud of! Note: I only found out there was a Captain Britain yesterday
  • AleeR - July 21, 2011 1:07 p.m.

@Imgema I think you have to appreciate the history of the character to get past the corny look. Captain America debuted in 1941 and was a fictional mainstay for wartime America. When the character disappeared for almost 20 years and was brought back in the early 60's Avengers, it was a popular move, and he's been an institution ever since. I've personally never been a huge fan either, but I do appreciate his impact.
  • philipshaw - July 21, 2011 11:40 a.m.

Love these type of features that you do Brett
  • jmcgrotty - July 21, 2011 11:11 a.m.

"with no nifty powers" This is not true. He can bore people into commiting seppuku faster than any other comic character ever. "But as far as strength or visual acuity goes, he's never displayed anything out of the range of a regular (albeit exceptional)human." Be careful with the word "never." In a fight with Viper, he got superhuman strength after being hit by her venomous whip. Issues 158-218.
  • Imgema - July 21, 2011 8:39 a.m.

Im sorry, but i really think that this is the worst designed hero ever. Its just a guy dressed up like a flag with an ugly shield and he even has those little wings on his head, oh, how cute. He looks like an adult retard on a children's costume party. Maybe its because i'm from Europe, i don't know... But really, even if there was a similar hero dressed up like our own flag i would still hate it. That's not patriotic, that's just ridiculous.
  • Ketherx - April 6, 2014 3:36 a.m.

I know you said Europe, but this is the closest thing I could think of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Britain
  • Jadernader - July 21, 2011 7:49 a.m.

Well, at least in the new game Cap has super strength, agility and smarts... It told me so at the bottom of a loading screen lol. Also, Caps boss and i wanna see the movie.
  • Bantha_Fodder - July 21, 2011 6:09 a.m.

lol, I remember Spiderman from 2000... those cutscenes were HILARIOUS in a "lol, what the fuck am I watching" kinda way. suprisingly, it still kinda holds up to this day
  • GamesRadarBrettElston - July 21, 2011 5:56 a.m.

^ True! But Ultimate Cap is more powerful, while the Ultimate Hulk is somewhat weaker. It's a mix that makes a head-to-head fight possible. Also, the issue where that happens (Ultimates #5), Hulk just had a tank dropped on him, so he maaaay have been a little woozy.
  • Tribok - July 21, 2011 3:50 a.m.

Well, in the ultimate series he does beat the living shit out of the hulk... That's some mighty fine peak human-ness
  • Xtapolapopotamus - July 21, 2011 3:47 a.m.

Great article, Mr. Elston. I recently got into Cap and would love to see a true video game adaptation of him. Sad to see nothing has really done that. I always used to find him boring, and maybe her personality can be, but as a character and a super hero, I love him. He really is Marvel's Batman, I just wish he had an Arkham Asylum/City to call his own...
  • batmanboy11 - July 21, 2011 3:38 a.m.

Love these types of articles.
  • GamesRadarBrettElston - July 21, 2011 3:33 a.m.

Cap does not have superhuman strength. He is peak human, which is how Batman is portrayed. The only "power" he has is stamina, in that he tires far slower than a normal human, possibly not at all. But as far as strength or visual acuity goes, he's never displayed anything out of the range of a regular (albeit exceptional)human. Each aspect is peak human though, for a mix of perfect vision, perfect mix of strength and agility, reflexes etc. All his other training and tactical expertise comes from genuine experience. IF HE WERE REAL
  • garnsr - July 21, 2011 3:25 a.m.

I'd also like to chip in and say that super strength and such should count as powers. Batman only has doodads, but Cap does have some extra power.
  • GringoStar - July 21, 2011 2:40 a.m.

I remember going to the arcade to play Captain America and The Avengers, the amount of tokens/quarters I spent it on. Also, I only played as Hawkeye...most underrated Marvel character! I also remember getting Marvel Super Heroes: War of The Gems for my SNES. I was so excited as I thought it had been the 2 player fighting game I've played in the arcade. I still enjoyed the game, but the funny thing is I got the most enjoyment playing the "boss" mode training facility. Great game and at times it can be hard as hell with cheap deaths. Last boss fight was a disappointment though.
  • DamnHippy - July 21, 2011 2:29 a.m.

I remember playing the Spider-Man game when I was a wee lad :')