Topics

Top 7

• Sound0fTeradactyls - August 25, 2009 1:24 a.m.

this top 7 is too generic in comparison to ur other articles.
  • Scotch - August 25, 2009 1:23 a.m.

hey! new editor??
  • Ninja-KiLLR - August 25, 2009 1 a.m.

nathan drake is awsome he makes it feel like you are playing a actual person. mag looks amazing and cant wait to try it. for the talking one they shoulda added the people that made too human i dont think i need to explain why there
  • nadrewod999 - August 25, 2009 12:33 a.m.

I agree on the voices, the hoods, helmets, and masks) (even though Altair is awesome even without the mask, which was actually most likely so that we didn't get attached to his face just in time for it to change (or creepily stay exactly the same) in AC2), the "Unreal Engine" hype (although it is a good engine when used correctly), most genre-mashing, talking in conference videos (almost like someone talking at the movies: you want to torture and kill them for ruining your experience), and most sequels (this is especially pointed at either movie games IN GENERAL (my only exception from this is Spider-Man 2 for PS2, which I STILL LIKE TO PLAY (unlike Halo 3, which I only kept playing until I beat Legendary with friends) or original game sequels that were never finished and never allowed the company to make money (coughdnfcough)). However, I disagree on every other point: parkour (otherwise known as skyscraper-climbing) can turn a street lined with high-rises from an instant death-by-ambush (DBA) spot into a vertical-victorious-battle (VVB) spot, and allows much greater exploration of the game, showing off how far we have come since games like Doom, where a platform right at face level is unreachable; MAG looks like an awesome game (although I personally wouldn't want to eventually be stuck with an RTS game, so I wouldn't want to become the commander) (shout-out to w40kfanatic for both realizing this and commenting before me, and saying how it makes the game more realistic (after all, the President is Commander in Chief of all Armed Forces, and we didn't exactly see Nixon throwing a few frags at the Vietnamese in the Vietnam War just as we aren't seeing Obama disarming homemade explosive devices in the middle of Iraq)); and finally, a sequel (as I mentioned in the article "Top 7... games that need prequels") allows the developers to CONTINUE the story, make the weapons more ADVANCED, use the old game's experimental technology as if it was standard, etc., while a prequel normally is only good for letting you live the story that happened before you hit the START button in the first game (like a prequel to inFamous would have you seeing Kessler take power, start building the bomb, maybe even try to chase Cole as the "dead drop" guy (forgot his name, but it is mentioned in game), possibly see exactly how a couple of street thugs expanded to control entire city districts with an iron fist in only about two weeks). WOOT! NEW PERSONAL RECORD FOR COMMENT LENGTH (besides my comment in the article mentioned in my current comment) Thanks for always inspiring me, GR! (personal idea: GR is to either game releases or games relations as PR is to either press release or public relations)
  • spongejerk89 - August 25, 2009 12:17 a.m.

I enjoy Halo 3's graphics much more than Gears of War 1 an 2's, and I own both.
  • StrayGator - August 25, 2009 12:06 a.m.

@garnsar: good point. nolan north could have his own entry in this list. also, how about open worlds / hub worlds / sandbox design. 95% of the time it's a thin mask for arbitrary filler.
  • slapdatass - August 24, 2009 11:57 p.m.

I don't even have an Xbox, but I approve of Halo ODST solely because of the voice talent. Does that make me shallow?
  • HighSummoner92 - August 24, 2009 11:42 p.m.

"Don't mind me, i'm just your usual assassin creeping about, searching for my next victim. When i find them, i'll probably slice them up with a blade cleverly hidden up my sleeve. I'm sure my hood is inconspicuous."
  • jar-head - August 24, 2009 11:42 p.m.

For All nub gamers, heres a tip to make you Badass, Read the Art of War by Sun Tzu. that should be enough to motivate you to kick all ass in MAG
  • Doctalen - August 24, 2009 11:32 p.m.

GR has a point about the hoodies. Hoodies are good as sweatshirts and light rain coat thats it. It is hard to get the hood to put aa shadow over your face and take to much time. If your trying to hide use a mask though that too is used a lot.
  • Tasty_Pasta - August 24, 2009 10:44 p.m.

Oh my god, I'm so sick of the Unreal 3 engine, it's beyond belief. I don't understand why it's so popular, because I don't think it really provides good graphics at all.
  • shockolate - August 24, 2009 10:24 p.m.

I like sequels.
  • jmohan - August 24, 2009 9:13 p.m.

@lovinmyps3: That'd be my brother... I don't know what's wrong with him.
  • lovinmyps3 - August 24, 2009 8:29 p.m.

Haha hoods. The Assassins Creed hood does look pretty badass though!
  • loonyman978 - August 24, 2009 8:18 p.m.

Apparently cole used to do urban exploration before he acquired a abillity that means he can never ever wash and has to hide when it rains.
  • cronoman66 - August 24, 2009 8:18 p.m.

I'm gunna argue with the Unreal 3 point. When a game begins in preproduction an early decsion is to either build their own engine or use an existing comercial engine. Now in most cases they go with using an existing engine because do you want to add an extra year to development on building the engine, no, is it cheaper to use an existing engine, most of the time, yes. Obviously other factors come into this, like the programming teams familirity of said engine. Finally the reason for Gears of War and Unreal Tournament's existence is to sell the engine the better those games look/work means more companies want to use it. and from the looks of it its working
  • Hurricrane - August 24, 2009 8 p.m.

I completely agree with UE3... time for another engine devs!
  • DEFAULT - August 24, 2009 7:59 p.m.

Good points, all true. But I dunno, this kinda resembles many articles I've seen before on this very site.