Topics

Halloweek

• ralphrainwater - October 30, 2009 2:21 a.m.

Yes, do play The Dark Eye, if you can find it. I stumbled upon that game when it first came out, purely by accident, and to this day keep the disk around, intending to finish the game one day. You'll find the method of story telling and the narration to be creepy in subtle ways.
  • c1nd3rcell - October 29, 2009 11:56 a.m.

I would say that The Path, at least in my opinion, is the best on this list. It's like Silent Hill for kids!(basically) I'm surprised at the low price for such a great looking game to :)
  • GamesRadarPaulRyan - October 28, 2009 10:44 p.m.

Good work, Charlie.
  • Xeacons - October 28, 2009 9:29 p.m.

Oh Man! I gotta get a hold of some of these! Although Path and Haunted House are available (and yes I have played them) on Gametap.
  • d0x - October 28, 2009 7:01 p.m.

The only game on this list that I played and actually still own is ILLBLEED. I was so excited for that game and while its highly entertaining and still worth checking out, the controls and camera are just terrible beyond words. Its hard to get over them but if you do the game is still a blast.
  • bofis - October 28, 2009 5:57 p.m.

The Dark Eye is awesome, and has great audio renditions of the poems, however, good luck getting the game to work and run fully on any current computer. Most of the videos use a very old Quicktime codec and you'd prolly have to use Windows95.
  • michaelmhughes - October 28, 2009 3:11 p.m.

Dark Seed was phenomenal, despite the fatal error I got towards the end. I played it on my Mac when it came out, and the combination of mirror-world story and H.R. Giger's surreal artwork made it super creepy and affecting. http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/420 "Drowned God" was also genuinely disturbing at times. http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/Drowned_God/Drowned_God.shtm
  • xbeeno - October 28, 2009 1:54 p.m.

Oh wow talkin about a trip down memory lane! Wow!~ RT www.hide-yer-stuff.se.tc
  • OxBidder - October 28, 2009 12:44 p.m.

Oh crap! I shit bircks when that puppet showed up. I was absolutely not ready for that :O The Path sounds intresting however, and Illbleed to :P
  • crumbdunky - October 28, 2009 8 a.m.

O've played a few of these and have to say that while "I have no mouth..." is certainly unsettling I wouldn't call it scary-mainly, however, it just depresses me.The Lurking Horror is a quality texty, imo, and really did, at athe time anyway, fuel some nasty umages in my younger mind, some of which were really frightening if I was playing on my own in the wee small hourshe lights off and the sound up in the time honoured way for Horror games(BTW I had it for Amiga and you didn't this but the added sounds really helped make it frightening for me). Hadn't played the old Arati game-hadn't heard of that really either or Illbleed but I'll give them a try if I can track them down cheaply. The Dark Eye wasn't that scary at all-maybe it's only don't know Poe that well that it can be a scary of game but, for me, s'ok nuttin bit a humdrum scare provider , imo.
  • RebornKusabi - October 28, 2009 3:46 a.m.

I played and loved I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Illbleed and I got ahold an English translation of Sweet Home. Seriously, ****ing Knowing's ending has nothing on the bleakness and hopelessness of the ending in I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream :/
  • EmmaXII - October 28, 2009 1:06 a.m.

Yup, never herd of any of them, the dark eye sounds cool though!!
  • kerfuffled_brizzle792 - October 28, 2009 12:02 a.m.

I'm surprised the 7th Guest and The 11th Hour weren't mentioned, then again maybe not, they were pretty popular back in the day.
  • aperson789 - October 27, 2009 11:13 p.m.

That dark eye looks freakin messed up! That puppet nearly gave me a heart attack! You guys suck!
  • FinalGamer - October 27, 2009 10:21 p.m.

I have "I Have No Mouth" and played some of Sweet Home. I got I Have No Mouth for like $108 on eBay, and I never regretted it, cuz damn that game is so underrated.
  • Ded - October 27, 2009 6:34 p.m.

I got The Path after reading this Top 7. Very interesting stuff, I wasn't scared at all, but it's certainly creepy and a little unsettling. Also, great concept!
  • zanthox - October 27, 2009 6:23 p.m.

Good list... I've only played the Path and it was amaaaazing.
  • StonedMagician99 - October 27, 2009 4:03 p.m.

I was actually looking at buying The Path. Is it good?
  • Russianred90 - October 27, 2009 3:18 p.m.

Jesus the path freaked me out even if the graphics werent great but still just terrifying lol
  • hardcore_gamer1990 - October 27, 2009 2:28 p.m.

We read "The Tell-Tale Heart" in english, as an example of creating tension. Fuckin' scary stuff to be reading to a group of 13 year olds.... Kinda got ruined when the music class on the floor below started playing Axel F though... XD Wanna get The Path now though, looks epic.