Topics

Top 7

• DarkTone - June 20, 2011 1:49 p.m.

Fifa?...................FIFA!?!
  • jackburnt - June 20, 2011 1:51 p.m.

The best part about the Resident Evil loading screens was in RE2 (I think) a zombie jumped out. The door opened normally then a zombie appeared. Great scare tactic because you thought the screens were safe.
  • oneshotfinch - June 20, 2011 3:03 p.m.

I really love Okami's loading screen. A little timing minigame which allows you to get a Demon Fang.
  • JimmySmurf - June 20, 2011 3:04 p.m.

You guys forgot to mention in the Resident Evil entry the one time in Resident Evil 2 when zombies actually came through the door as you opened it.
  • darkpigraph - June 20, 2011 3:17 p.m.

How can Namco "hold(s) the rights to the 'minigame while a game loads from an optical disc' idea"? I wish more people did that.
  • LuketheJuke24 - June 20, 2011 3:37 p.m.

I always liked the Star Wars Battlefront loading screen when it zooms into the planet. It gave me something to look at and I was annoyed when the 2nd game had average loading screens. Stupid Star Wars...
  • nomnom52 - June 20, 2011 3:47 p.m.

typo for Ridge Racer: Two intellectual anaylses?
  • Sjoeki - June 20, 2011 4:08 p.m.

What about the loading screens in the devil may cry series, I always tried to fire the gun as much as possible for it was over, those were good times
  • garnsr - June 20, 2011 4:11 p.m.

How did Games Radar pass up the chance to mention Okami?
  • NanoElite666 - June 20, 2011 5:19 p.m.

I always enjoyed the 'spaceship flying through space' loading screens of the Ratchet & Clank series, at least in the games that have them (I'm looking at you, "Crack in Time"...). They helped make the various planets in whatever galaxy you were in for the game feel more like cohesive, connected parts of the universe, since you'd take off from one location, watch your ship fly through space for a couple screens, and then land at your destination without nary a trace of the word "Loading..."
  • usedforglue - June 20, 2011 5:34 p.m.

Great read, Thanks for educating me about the Resident Evil Gamecube door screens. I always thought they were really annoying back on the PSone, but now I understand that they help build the zombie Tension!
  • jackthemenace - June 20, 2011 5:48 p.m.

The Bayonetta load screens were perfect. They gave you a chance between levels to work out how to pull off the tricky combos that you couldn't while you were having your face and/or boobs smashed in by angel-birds. But, let's face it, who WOULDN'T want to see Old Snake smoking for "up to four minutes" between EVERY SINGLE ACT of MGS4?
  • RicePuddingUK - June 20, 2011 5:52 p.m.

I hate interactive loading screens, just means the actual game will take longer to load because at the same time its running code for the loading screen.
  • babyhenchy1 - June 20, 2011 6:32 p.m.

You can pause the loading screens in Bayonetta by pushing select.
  • babyhenchy1 - June 20, 2011 6:32 p.m.

You can pause the loading screens in Bayonetta by pushing select.
  • asspills - June 20, 2011 7:50 p.m.

The Darkness. Each one was a monologue from Jackie, furthering the story, explaining backstory, telling a random anecdote, or sometimes, just trying to spin his guns. Until you had seen each one a few too many times, each loading screen was exciting, and really just seemed like part of the game.
  • AntistaLovebot0069 - June 20, 2011 7:59 p.m.

What about Test Drive for the Xbox/Playstation 2. My cousin and I reted it and ended up playing the loading screen instead of the game because it was the original Pong.
  • LTS - June 20, 2011 8:01 p.m.

I can't remember the exact title, but some EA Sports college basketball game from a few years ago let you play a game of pick up hoops on a practice court while the game was loading.
  • Kisokuiki - June 20, 2011 8:21 p.m.

3D Dot Game Heroes should have made the list instead of Plants vs. Zombies.
  • AngryScotsman - June 20, 2011 8:35 p.m.

I liked Okami's loading screens as each one had one of two hidden rhythm minigames. Beat the minigames, get treasure! What a system. It also helps you get used to the loading. When you start doing well in them, it's gutting for it to finish loading.