Topics

Top 7

• inSovietRussiaDatesRecallBrettElston - January 31, 2011 10:30 p.m.

no gabriel knight charlie?
  • ventanger - January 31, 2011 10:34 p.m.

Hm. "Adventure puzzle games" like Sam & Max, Hugo's House of Whatever, and yes, even Gabriel Knight are less about testing your own intellectual aptitude and more about adapting your train of thought to what's the most likely outcome schemed up by the designer of the game. Whereas say, Portal presents you with a defined set of rules and a challenge to overcome by using those rules, Adventure puzzle games rarely really set up a concrete foundation with which to solve your predicament. n' shit.
  • GamesRadarCharlieBarratt - January 31, 2011 10:34 p.m.

Gabriel Knight has some great puzzles, but nothing that surpasses the puzzles in every other point-and-click adventure game. I love Gabriel Knight more for the story, setting and characters.
  • juicenpancakes - January 31, 2011 10:35 p.m.

I couldn't agree with #1 more. Portal made me feel like I was an idiot for the longest time, but then when I'd finally figure out the puzzle it was as satisfying as a moment I've had with games in the past few years. Then I could walk away happily feeling like a genius.
  • GamesRadarCharlieBarratt - January 31, 2011 10:35 p.m.

Ooooh, what ventanger said. Very nicely put!
  • Roflcoptersmileyface - January 31, 2011 10:39 p.m.

good article Charlie, you've made me seen pokemon in a different light :)
  • ricono - January 31, 2011 10:41 p.m.

i totally agree with number 1, when i played portal it made me just feel like i was discovering all these cool ways to complete puzels instead of the game telling me how to manipulate the portals to do what i wanted it to do, even though in a way it was.
  • GamesRadarCharlieBarratt - January 31, 2011 10:41 p.m.

@Roflcoptersmileyface Thank you, but the Pokemon entry was actually written by our resident Pokemon PhD, Carolyn Gudmundson.
  • Radagast107 - January 31, 2011 10:43 p.m.

you know another game that takes FOREVER to beat because of its difficulty and length. Ecco the Dolphin. Some of those mazes are near impossible and after beating the game you feel like you have accomplished something great. But also after beating it you vow to never play the game again. At least that is what I did!
  • Phazon117 - January 31, 2011 10:48 p.m.

YOU FORGOT ANGRY BIRDZ (because I know how much you don't care for that game :P)
  • pinoklin - January 31, 2011 10:51 p.m.

amazing article, and by seeing that screenie i take it mashing the buttons to catch pokemon doesn't work right?. But really nice read good job Charlie.
  • talkraider - January 31, 2011 10:51 p.m.

I love being smart
  • paganpoet - January 31, 2011 10:53 p.m.

It was Alundra for me. That game has some of the most brutal RPG puzzles ever (the Ice Manor, anyone??), but, damn it, I did it. And I was only 14.
  • AnarchyZombie - January 31, 2011 10:56 p.m.

The Dut' always makes me feel intelimagent because of all the wild plot twists.
  • MrPlasticTramp - January 31, 2011 11:01 p.m.

No Monkey Islands? I've never felt smarter than when i realized i had to use the chicken to get across the rope ! I was quite young though when I first did it to be fair...
  • CaptainSalmon - January 31, 2011 11:03 p.m.

I would have personally put Phoenix Wright up there instead of Prof. Layton; Layton always makes me feel insanely dumb when I can't solve a 40 picarats puzzle about a man and his three sons. The youngest son is 9. 10? 11?! F*ck this.
  • TURbo - January 31, 2011 11:04 p.m.

Brett Elston has a lot of explaining on the Pokemons
  • DevilDoor - January 31, 2011 11:08 p.m.

Thought there would be at least one entry with Sherlock Holmes.
  • IcelandMaelstrom - January 31, 2011 11:17 p.m.

this one's a little out there definitely, but keeping in the theme of games that really make you think, but aren't strictly puzzle games my mind went immediately to demon's souls. demon's souls creates a very specific atmosphere for thought. there's one part memorization and hack/slash skill, which doesn't warrant anything special, but every obstacle is so brutal, and they"re all so varied, that there is far more strategic thought involved than twitch reflex (although it's a blend of both that makes me feel smart when i play it). it's just so clear about watching what your enemies are doing and knowing how to respond- and doing it quickly. it's like a really quick game of chess, only someone's screaming in your ear the whole time, and so you have to reach a zen in the game. anyways, it's a different kind of pick and all these ones definitely fit with the theme better, but were it a top 8 that would be my pick
  • BrochachoLovers - January 31, 2011 11:19 p.m.

After playing Darksiders i felt mentally fatigued . And sadly have to agree with what Ventanger pointed out. ( your still a fruity rabbit )