We Recommend

• Frostfire - June 12, 2010 5:35 a.m.

I hope more people read this FFVI is simple the best ever i love FFVII but its like water to VIs wine.
  • RanGo - May 12, 2010 8:08 a.m.

to those who havent played ff6 it's hard to explain unless you played it yourself back then. it was the reason ff7 was hotly anticipated because it was that awesome and gamers wanted more of it. to those holding out because they dont like sprite graphics it ages better than the ps1 final fantasies with low polys so might as well give it a go. get them on gba or ds (might as well get chrono trigger too)
  • radcastro - April 11, 2010 6:04 a.m.

@OmegaWeaponGeanC You're looking at the wrong games for 3D boobs dude. Try Dead or Alive Volleyball but you'll need your Dad to buy it for you.
  • radcastro - April 11, 2010 5:50 a.m.

I agree with this list. I own and finished them all. Don't knock VI until you've finished it. It's very playable even by today's "standards".
  • OmegaWeaponGeanC - March 19, 2010 5:18 p.m.

I still dunno what the hell makes VI so amazing out of all the FF games I played (all except III) VI is the only one I actually had to FORCE myself to finish, I found it boring after you were forced to have 3 separate parties. And ignorant as it may sound I love graphics so anything under VII I dont like. Screw 2D! I want 3D and boobs!
  • lacanfei - March 11, 2010 6:56 p.m.

Very very good list. I personally wouldn't have put FFIV where it is, but that's merely because I played it after FFVI and thus, was not able to manage the same level of appreciation. I think XII deserves more credit and for the opposite reasons, I thought the story was very weak, characters (especially villains) were very weak, but where it wins out is its gameplay...I'm likely the minority in thinking that though. I think the games that are the most successful when it comes to RPGs and FFs are the ones that evoke an immersive atmosphere, and because how immersed you can get in a game totally depends on your situation and state of mind it can be very individualistic. That being said, there is definitely a collective aspect to these individualistic feelings among people, gamers, and especially RPG gamers, because of this certain games stand out, others don't. The RPG community was 'ready' for FFVI, the RPG community was ready and needed FFVII, the same can be said of X. VIII and IX however, not so much.
  • timothybest - March 7, 2010 4:09 a.m.

Bet you if they revamped ALL the games that FFVII would be on the top.
  • RanTheAwesome - March 6, 2010 9:41 p.m.

Actually, you guys are wrong yet again. Final Fantasy Tactics is the best one. Of course, you clowns wouldn't know that since you haven't played that game because you were too busy fapping to FFVII. Screw them all, except the ones that aren't made by Tetsuya Nomura. Now the debate is settled, so STFU.
  • Ensoul - March 5, 2010 4:59 p.m.

@ grim08: Kinda. I've heard/read just has many people in Group A explain away those who didn't care for FF VII because of it's popularity; as I've heard/read the only reason Group B likes it was because it is popular. Personally I like FF VII but if you were going to present me with VII and VI; I'd rather play through VI again.
  • warhammer3 - March 5, 2010 5:57 a.m.

my order would be ff1: it started it all,followeed by 7 because it revied it, and third FFX. this was the first on that I played until the end. And I then went on to end it two more times. I still have yet to play another game of its stature, and I dont think I will. It was to me, the greatest video game story of all time.
  • Ensoul - March 5, 2010 4:40 a.m.

@ grim08: That's so mainstream to say the only reason people don't feel like FF VII is the best of the series is because of it's mainstream appeal.
  • Relayer71 - March 5, 2010 3:04 a.m.

So been visiting this site for years, great site, informational AND really love your great sense of humour. Never felt compelled to post until now. SO refreshing not to see FF VII at # 1. Personally I'd put FF IV above VI ESPECIALLY after the amazing DS remake but still, both are excellent titles and I'm so glad to see them above VII which I'd put somewhere like 5th or 6th place. Too bad you went ahead and stuck that brain dead Cloud in the best FF heroes list. Him and Squall take the cake for DULLEST FF characters, ever.
  • GoodGuyWithACrappyJob - March 4, 2010 11:59 p.m.

This list is spot-on. I expected VII to be first, but GR surpassed my expectations again. Thanks for recognizing VI for the awesome game it is. And this is completely off topic, but I still think that the best game Square made was and will always be Chrono Trigger. Which is, in fact, my first RPG, so I guess the nostalgia-concept is actually true.
  • GamesRadarJuniorWildlifeEditor - March 4, 2010 8:45 p.m.

No love for Final Fantasy Adventure? Anyone?... Anyone?
  • BDSLiVe - March 4, 2010 4:30 a.m.

I don't understand why all these games must be so confusingly out of order to newcomers of the series.
  • Zeipher - March 4, 2010 2:33 a.m.

Lulz, Grim has a point. "Psh, I bet you don't even know who Cecil is." *frantically mashes Gameboy buttons*
  • Dondada - March 3, 2010 6:38 p.m.

Thank you gamesradar, not only is FFVI the greatest FF game but the greatest game evaR made.
  • iluvmyDS - March 3, 2010 5:53 p.m.

I've never finished a Final Fantasy (I almost did with 3) but I love X and XII. I really want those remakes of IV, V, and VI.
  • 4fromK - March 3, 2010 8:03 a.m.

yeah, for some reason IX was my favourite, although I've only played 7,8,9, a bit of 1 and 2 (which I think maybe should have been 4??? theres something weird about the translation chronology)
  • TheGodEmperor - March 3, 2010 7:11 a.m.

11) FFXII - piss poor characters with no real point to the story except 3 of them really, tidious and boring character development, a story that's not even in the foreground really, and a bland battles.. over all the game sucked. 10) FFVIII - Characters sucked, Gameplay had good ideas but terrible execution, story had huge plot holes. World and music were good. 9) FFX-2 - Characters, Music, Story sucked, but the gameplay was damn fun. 8) FFI - The first, a great game for its time and revolutionized crap, but over all not that great of a game really lol. 7) FFII - A huge improvement to FFI, still had some meh issues. 6) FFV - Job system was a great GREAT invention, story and characters weren't bad either. Not great imo but not bad at all. 5) FFX - Some would put this way lower, but I personally loved it. The characters were interesting, the world was the best developed yet, the music was great, the story was good, and the gameplay was fun. Only thing that sucked was the loss of flying your airship around the world. 4) FFIV - Really hard for me to put it only at 4th cause I loved this game a ton too. But I just love the next 3 a bit more. Even though FFIV was my first and still one of my all time faves. 2) FFVII/FFVI - I can't choose between these two. So I place them both at 2nd place in a tie for being fucking awesome. 1) FFIX - And my all time favorite. Bringing back the old feeling of FF from my childhood and improving the music, gameplay, pacing, story, characters, everything. The best FF to date and I don't see it ever being removed off the #1 spot what with Nomura leading the FF team. other FF titles I'm not sure where to place really. Overall, series is great, but some games were better than others. And I haven't played FFIII yet so I can't rank it