• FordFiesta - April 9, 2011 9:30 p.m.

Absolutely loved Final Fantasy X. It was my first ps2 rpg, and it shocked me at how good it was. Visually, and audio wise it was at the top of it's game. It's the final fantasy I remember the most, due to it's impact. FF6, 7, 8, 1 and 2 were all amazing as well. Final Fantasy 12, in my opinion deserves more credit. I believe it was totally unique for the franchise, and it's sad to see how much hate it got. After I finish the game I'm playing right now, I'm going to play Final Fantasy 13.
  • dcbernman - April 1, 2011 10:55 p.m.

I've been playing all the FFs starting with the SNES era. So far I've complete 4,6,7,8, and 9. I started 5, and bought a PS2 and a copy of X. Can't wait to get started on that. I have found every FF to be totally unique, and I love all of them so far! It's really hard to cluster them together as a franchise because they can be pretty different from each other when it comes to the art, story, and music, which are really important to me in games. While I'm not sure I can have a favorite FF, 6 will always have a special place for me. It was the first FF I ever played and had an amazing cast. The visuals and the music on the SNES are top notch, comparable (and perhaps losing) only to Chrono Trigger. I just hope that I'll be alive to see at least a dozen more FF titles down the road. FF is like my Studio Ghibli of gaming : )
  • masterdon8 - March 30, 2011 5:19 p.m.

In all seriousness, as someone pointed out, how you rank the FF (main series) depends on the order you played them; and whether you're going to rank them independently against particular criteria (objective or subjective) or comparatively against each other against a set of criteria. Most 'best lists' are far too simplistic, aimed at masturbatory satisfaction or inciting hate... The order I finished (not necessarily 'first' played) FF is: 8, 7, 9, 6, T, 5, 10, 13, 12. Putting aside feelings and emotions (at best), I think FF games should be graded against storyline (execution, depth, structure, originality), gameplay (battle mechanics), replayability (longevity + fun), playability (learning curve), music + a weighted grade for graphics or some defined standard of how you're going to grade it since you cannot seriously give FF6 a '8' and give FF8 a '7'... That's just stupid... When grading a RPG its the whole package that counts; and I think most fans focus overly on one or two aspects in a certain game that made it shine, or mixed their own nostalgia with actual grading. So rather than pick ones' own, why not try use a proper nutted out grading benchmark? Finally while I can accept FF6 can reign top spot, I cannot stomach the fact FF12 is noted positively for its story and characters. If anything, FF12's gameplay probably saved it from being the slapdash mess it felt; however even that was dogged by several quite damning aspects - bad programing making high-level magic take forever to queue and cast via gambits; plenty of useless gambits; lack of useful gambits; gambits failed in crowds; gambits almost always failed at bosses unless you had a walkthrough etc. It also has one of the poorest replayabilities of any FF I've played because it has some of the most tedious and unstimulating sidequests. But for the aesthetics, FF12 I would've ranked this last along with the bore FF13 was!
  • RAF - January 20, 2011 2:29 a.m.

How do you all still get this so wrong, the best FF is TACTICS, TACTICS, TACTICS!!!!!!! then 7, 10, 8 and THEN 6! Everyone has been good, most of them great but FF6 is sooooo overrated.
  • tj06jackson - December 17, 2010 5:48 a.m.

ive played FF's 7,8,9,10 all of them are masterpieces in my opinion. i just cant rank which ones the best because they're all great in there own rite. if i were to choose a favorite it would be FF10 because i really got connected to the characters story music and gameplay more than the others.
  • deathwish - September 26, 2010 8:58 p.m.

People that want to be cool hipsters that like stuff that nobody ever heard about like Final Fantasy VI, most people know that Final Fantasy VII is a far superior game.
  • deathwish - September 26, 2010 8:52 p.m.

I'm sorry but this list is retarded. The best Final Fantasy's are IX, X, and XII, and VII. Final Fantasy VI? what are you guys smoking the game looked so retarded.
  • Locust - September 8, 2010 8:54 p.m.

No mention of Tactics? For shame.
  • mellypelly - June 24, 2010 9:16 p.m.

The best Final Fantasy is definitely NOT VI. With a whiney cast, melodramatic story, and simplistic, boring gameplay, it's easily the most overrated game in the industry's history. V, VII, IX, XII....all leaps and bounds better in every regard and with more interesting gameplay. I look forward to the day when the internet gets over being so dam pretentious and actually ranks the FF series correctly.
  • Frostfire - June 12, 2010 5:35 a.m.

I hope more people read this FFVI is simple the best ever i love FFVII but its like water to VIs wine.
  • RanGo - May 12, 2010 8:08 a.m.

to those who havent played ff6 it's hard to explain unless you played it yourself back then. it was the reason ff7 was hotly anticipated because it was that awesome and gamers wanted more of it. to those holding out because they dont like sprite graphics it ages better than the ps1 final fantasies with low polys so might as well give it a go. get them on gba or ds (might as well get chrono trigger too)
  • radcastro - April 11, 2010 6:04 a.m.

@OmegaWeaponGeanC You're looking at the wrong games for 3D boobs dude. Try Dead or Alive Volleyball but you'll need your Dad to buy it for you.
  • radcastro - April 11, 2010 5:50 a.m.

I agree with this list. I own and finished them all. Don't knock VI until you've finished it. It's very playable even by today's "standards".
  • OmegaWeaponGeanC - March 19, 2010 5:18 p.m.

I still dunno what the hell makes VI so amazing out of all the FF games I played (all except III) VI is the only one I actually had to FORCE myself to finish, I found it boring after you were forced to have 3 separate parties. And ignorant as it may sound I love graphics so anything under VII I dont like. Screw 2D! I want 3D and boobs!
  • lacanfei - March 11, 2010 6:56 p.m.

Very very good list. I personally wouldn't have put FFIV where it is, but that's merely because I played it after FFVI and thus, was not able to manage the same level of appreciation. I think XII deserves more credit and for the opposite reasons, I thought the story was very weak, characters (especially villains) were very weak, but where it wins out is its gameplay...I'm likely the minority in thinking that though. I think the games that are the most successful when it comes to RPGs and FFs are the ones that evoke an immersive atmosphere, and because how immersed you can get in a game totally depends on your situation and state of mind it can be very individualistic. That being said, there is definitely a collective aspect to these individualistic feelings among people, gamers, and especially RPG gamers, because of this certain games stand out, others don't. The RPG community was 'ready' for FFVI, the RPG community was ready and needed FFVII, the same can be said of X. VIII and IX however, not so much.
  • timothybest - March 7, 2010 4:09 a.m.

Bet you if they revamped ALL the games that FFVII would be on the top.
  • RanTheAwesome - March 6, 2010 9:41 p.m.

Actually, you guys are wrong yet again. Final Fantasy Tactics is the best one. Of course, you clowns wouldn't know that since you haven't played that game because you were too busy fapping to FFVII. Screw them all, except the ones that aren't made by Tetsuya Nomura. Now the debate is settled, so STFU.
  • Ensoul - March 5, 2010 4:59 p.m.

@ grim08: Kinda. I've heard/read just has many people in Group A explain away those who didn't care for FF VII because of it's popularity; as I've heard/read the only reason Group B likes it was because it is popular. Personally I like FF VII but if you were going to present me with VII and VI; I'd rather play through VI again.
  • warhammer3 - March 5, 2010 5:57 a.m.

my order would be ff1: it started it all,followeed by 7 because it revied it, and third FFX. this was the first on that I played until the end. And I then went on to end it two more times. I still have yet to play another game of its stature, and I dont think I will. It was to me, the greatest video game story of all time.
  • Ensoul - March 5, 2010 4:40 a.m.

@ grim08: That's so mainstream to say the only reason people don't feel like FF VII is the best of the series is because of it's mainstream appeal.