We Recommend

• mays_blaziken - August 24, 2011 5:33 a.m.

i have to say final fantasy 6 is the best and 4 the 2nd best
  • robertjohnson - June 8, 2011 12:23 p.m.

Actually, incorrect post. According to IMDb (www.imdb.com), the public have voted the top 7 FF games you chose to be different. Final Fantasy XII: 8.4/10 (1,385 votes) Final Fantasy V: 7.9 (217 votes) Final Fantasy IX: 8.7 (1,290 votes) Final Fantasy X: 9.2 (2,423 votes) Final Fantasy VII: 9.6 (3,684 votes) Final Fantasy IV: 8.4 (332 votes) Final Fantasy VI: 9.1 (728 votes) Therefore from top to bottom it is: 1. FFVII 2. FFX 3. FFVI 4. FFIX 5. FFXII (more votes than FFIV) 6. FFIV 7. FFV
  • angeleslloyd - May 23, 2011 4:59 a.m.

if i have to put FFXIII, then it will be at 3rd pushed downwards.. 1st - FFVI 2nd - FFIV 3rd - FFXIII 4th - FFI 5th - FFIX 6th - FFVII 7th - FFX i hate to admit it but i have a crush on Lightning.. :P she's cute..
  • angeleslloyd - May 23, 2011 4:37 a.m.

my list is 1st - FFVI 2nd - FFIV 3rd - FFI 4th - FFIX 5th - FFVII 6th - FFX 7th - FFV all i can say is,a true FF Fanatic knows that FFVIII sucks and a gamer that does not consider himself an FF Fanatic loves FFVIII. An FF Fanatic raises the flag of FFVI and tears the flag of FFVIII and a FF Stranger, who just played FFVIII only , YOU ARE OFF LIMITS HERE.. FFVI!! rules!! i love Locke Cole!!
  • Overman8 - May 16, 2011 8:08 p.m.

I agree that FFVI is definitely one of the best, but it's sad that Tactics is pushed to the sidelines so often. It's definitely the best in the entire series.
  • Wombatic - May 13, 2011 6:28 a.m.

I'd say that Final Fantasy 12 was the best of the series. Final Fantasy X was likely second, due to what it brought. 12 had the best story, presentation, battle system, quest list, and of course the graphics in retrospective to its platform. Though 13 has better ones, the graphics aren't entirely supreme unlike 12 which were barely even rivaled by any other game. The gambit system was perfect, especially since it wasn't too slow, too fast, or just too pointless. It was in every way perfect: no matter what you played. The way the game worked and ran its system was logical, and exclusive. The battle system it had was completely exceptional, to the point that I honestly don't expect any other game to come near it. Difficulty? Check. Play against Yaimat and the Omega Mark just to feel the long battles that actually take a lot of planning and effort to get them right. Those battles against the Espers were quite honestly some of the most suspenseful fights a Final Fantasy has had. Characters and story were considered dull to most people, but it was a story that basically was for more mature audiences and people that could understand its value. It had a lot of great involved, and was quite sophisticated. I enjoyed it. Hunts and the fact that Gil was rare created a lot of appeal in that game. It wasn't like in FFX or any Final Fantasy before that where you could dominate due mainly to raking up money and purchasing armor with relative ease...This game's currency was difficult as shit to collect and you had to basically do hunts in order to even purchase some basic armor early on in the game. The way the Espers worked pretty nice, although it'd have been better if they acted as a fourth or fifth, rather than a small summon. Honestly, this was the best game of the series, and had the most to offer in terms of playing. They even had an in game trophy list, which you could max out and keep track of completing everything in the game. FF7 was weak, fact is Crisis Core was better than that shit. 8 was horrible. 9 looked like shit and played like it... 11 sucks. 14 sucks. 13 has honestly the most faulty battle system and quite a few problems every where... The whole "listen to people's conversations" part is horrible. X was pretty good, however, it eventually became a breeze unless you started doing challenges that didn't involve the sphere grid. X-2 was a pretty good game. I honestly don't understand why people don't give that game its fair chance... It has one of the most challenging battle system around, especially when you refuse to use a cat nip. 1-4 are completely outdated. They cannot compare because they were weak as heck. 5 and 6 are what'd you call pathetic. They didn't add anything at all to the series, never had changed the worldview of Final Fantasy like 7 and 10 managed to do. 12 is the greatest game of the series; it looks the best, runs the best, and feels complete unlike the predecessors. 13 is a shame, as it wasn't ever fully completed, it's like an incomplete game...
  • Jusutiin - September 29, 2011 4:18 a.m.

Hmmm, seems to me like you (Wombatic) haven't beaten, or let alone played more than an hour of any FF game other than X and XII. To say FFIV-IX were horrible and pathetic is disservice to both the series and it's fans. In your opinion XII may be the best, and I respect that; however, I recommend you play the other games in their entirety before you bash and tear them apart. I know it's tough for younger gamers to appreciate the older entries in the series due to graphics and what not, but there is beauty to be found in each game. I only became interested in the Final Fantasy series a couple weeks ago, and right now my favorite entries are FFIX and FFVI. Those are the only two I've beaten though, haha. VI, and IX have caused me to fall head over heels for the Final Fantasy series. Right now I am working my way through the original Final Fantasy and I plan to play through each game in sequential order after I beat it.
  • FordFiesta - April 9, 2011 9:30 p.m.

Absolutely loved Final Fantasy X. It was my first ps2 rpg, and it shocked me at how good it was. Visually, and audio wise it was at the top of it's game. It's the final fantasy I remember the most, due to it's impact. FF6, 7, 8, 1 and 2 were all amazing as well. Final Fantasy 12, in my opinion deserves more credit. I believe it was totally unique for the franchise, and it's sad to see how much hate it got. After I finish the game I'm playing right now, I'm going to play Final Fantasy 13.
  • dcbernman - April 1, 2011 10:55 p.m.

I've been playing all the FFs starting with the SNES era. So far I've complete 4,6,7,8, and 9. I started 5, and bought a PS2 and a copy of X. Can't wait to get started on that. I have found every FF to be totally unique, and I love all of them so far! It's really hard to cluster them together as a franchise because they can be pretty different from each other when it comes to the art, story, and music, which are really important to me in games. While I'm not sure I can have a favorite FF, 6 will always have a special place for me. It was the first FF I ever played and had an amazing cast. The visuals and the music on the SNES are top notch, comparable (and perhaps losing) only to Chrono Trigger. I just hope that I'll be alive to see at least a dozen more FF titles down the road. FF is like my Studio Ghibli of gaming : )
  • masterdon8 - March 30, 2011 5:19 p.m.

In all seriousness, as someone pointed out, how you rank the FF (main series) depends on the order you played them; and whether you're going to rank them independently against particular criteria (objective or subjective) or comparatively against each other against a set of criteria. Most 'best lists' are far too simplistic, aimed at masturbatory satisfaction or inciting hate... The order I finished (not necessarily 'first' played) FF is: 8, 7, 9, 6, T, 5, 10, 13, 12. Putting aside feelings and emotions (at best), I think FF games should be graded against storyline (execution, depth, structure, originality), gameplay (battle mechanics), replayability (longevity + fun), playability (learning curve), music + a weighted grade for graphics or some defined standard of how you're going to grade it since you cannot seriously give FF6 a '8' and give FF8 a '7'... That's just stupid... When grading a RPG its the whole package that counts; and I think most fans focus overly on one or two aspects in a certain game that made it shine, or mixed their own nostalgia with actual grading. So rather than pick ones' own, why not try use a proper nutted out grading benchmark? Finally while I can accept FF6 can reign top spot, I cannot stomach the fact FF12 is noted positively for its story and characters. If anything, FF12's gameplay probably saved it from being the slapdash mess it felt; however even that was dogged by several quite damning aspects - bad programing making high-level magic take forever to queue and cast via gambits; plenty of useless gambits; lack of useful gambits; gambits failed in crowds; gambits almost always failed at bosses unless you had a walkthrough etc. It also has one of the poorest replayabilities of any FF I've played because it has some of the most tedious and unstimulating sidequests. But for the aesthetics, FF12 I would've ranked this last along with the bore FF13 was!
  • RAF - January 20, 2011 2:29 a.m.

How do you all still get this so wrong, the best FF is TACTICS, TACTICS, TACTICS!!!!!!! then 7, 10, 8 and THEN 6! Everyone has been good, most of them great but FF6 is sooooo overrated.
  • tj06jackson - December 17, 2010 5:48 a.m.

ive played FF's 7,8,9,10 all of them are masterpieces in my opinion. i just cant rank which ones the best because they're all great in there own rite. if i were to choose a favorite it would be FF10 because i really got connected to the characters story music and gameplay more than the others.
  • deathwish - September 26, 2010 8:58 p.m.

People that want to be cool hipsters that like stuff that nobody ever heard about like Final Fantasy VI, most people know that Final Fantasy VII is a far superior game.
  • deathwish - September 26, 2010 8:52 p.m.

I'm sorry but this list is retarded. The best Final Fantasy's are IX, X, and XII, and VII. Final Fantasy VI? what are you guys smoking the game looked so retarded.
  • Locust - September 8, 2010 8:54 p.m.

No mention of Tactics? For shame.
  • mellypelly - June 24, 2010 9:16 p.m.

The best Final Fantasy is definitely NOT VI. With a whiney cast, melodramatic story, and simplistic, boring gameplay, it's easily the most overrated game in the industry's history. V, VII, IX, XII....all leaps and bounds better in every regard and with more interesting gameplay. I look forward to the day when the internet gets over being so dam pretentious and actually ranks the FF series correctly.
  • Frostfire - June 12, 2010 5:35 a.m.

I hope more people read this FFVI is simple the best ever i love FFVII but its like water to VIs wine.
  • RanGo - May 12, 2010 8:08 a.m.

to those who havent played ff6 it's hard to explain unless you played it yourself back then. it was the reason ff7 was hotly anticipated because it was that awesome and gamers wanted more of it. to those holding out because they dont like sprite graphics it ages better than the ps1 final fantasies with low polys so might as well give it a go. get them on gba or ds (might as well get chrono trigger too)
  • radcastro - April 11, 2010 6:04 a.m.

@OmegaWeaponGeanC You're looking at the wrong games for 3D boobs dude. Try Dead or Alive Volleyball but you'll need your Dad to buy it for you.
  • radcastro - April 11, 2010 5:50 a.m.

I agree with this list. I own and finished them all. Don't knock VI until you've finished it. It's very playable even by today's "standards".