We Recommend

• Tenchidbz - January 13, 2012 8:20 p.m.

I bought this game when it was first released in 1994 for $80. The most expensive game I ever bought at the time. I beet this game 100% Every side quest, every dragon, every esper mastered, every character, all were on level 99. I has millions of GP. Now 18 years later, I am still playing this game, on a emmulator (ZSNES) on my laptop, but I still have my SNES and it works perfect. I just need a few more economizors and can then to to Kefka's tower and finish the game again. I can't count how many times I played through and finished this game.... Figure 18 years now. I actually remembered thinking when playing the SNES version that when I die I wanted to be playing this game. Hopefully just finished the ending credits. This should be remade for the 360/PS3 and a CGI movie like FF7: Advent Children made...
  • Tenchidbz - January 13, 2012 8:21 p.m.

BTW, I was talking about FF6
  • Joshd4 - January 5, 2012 5:42 p.m.

Before I comment I’d like to say that I think everyone has a right to their opinion and if they say X-2 is better than 6 then they technically cannot be wrong (even though they obviously are and should be bludgeoned to death) I and my best friend are fanatics, we’ve played them all...religiously and we constantly have this conversation as all hardcore fanatics should. I believe that XII shouldn't be there at all, it was horrific at best. The game play, the chests percentage, the feel, the ridiculous bosses and NEVER needing to use the summons or magic anywhere in the game to name a few out of literally hundreds of things I can think of that ruin it completely. XII wasn’t a final fantasy... "In my opinion" please don’t flame *crosses fingers* They made half a game. The other half was an ESSENTIAL guide you more or less had to buy. Clever move square... And I have completed XIII months ago I now can say it was worse. If I wanted to go in a straight line for 23 hour’s-ish only pressing X while a story told itself I would have bought Heavy Rain. Back to the actual point, VI rightly so, was magnificent but *in my opinion* not the best. This guaranteed will get flamed but I believe that X is the best. What does it not have? arguably the best story (I remember where I was when I found out that Sin was Tidus' dad), the side missions/quests (F'in Blitzball was epic and monster capturing, aeon findings... arghhhh I could do this forever) and the insane replay value not to mention one of the most anticipated kiss scenes in gaming history. The graphics were amazing, the battle system was spot on, the characters and their developments connected to me like no other as they all had a story that on its own could of been made into a game. So what you complete the game and you can’t go back and do anything else like VIII? No. You can fight dark aeons, collect celestial weapons or be the best blitzers in Spira! Honestly I could take the 5000 word limit to describe how great this game was and hand on heart I say this to my friend all the time "I cannot wait till I forget about the story of X so I can play it unknowingly all over again.... not that has stopped playing it 18-20 times) Rightly pointed out that V had some game changing points and deserves to be up there. The music throughout I can recite today on call which must prove how good it is if you haven’t played it YET! (Go play it now.), Bartz has to be one of my favourite characters of all time as well. But was it original enough and have a good replay value? Personally I replayed V the least and without actually knowing why? Opinions/suggestions on why? IX was different... but it worked spectacularly, minor flaws like boring castles, summons way to late in the game and not a vast player progression system like X or VII, but these are overlooked with the chocobo treasure hunt, side quests, and great story line which was so dark but griping. I also had the most Goosebumps out of them all when !!SPOILER!! (Actually why are you here if you haven’t played them all?) Zidane finds Garnet at the end at the play! VIII had it all, the card game, the characters, the rivalry, the free roaming and player progression was insanely good... but it then it decided to contract anal super aids. You all know what I’m talking about. The decision to stop you from freely going places with ease after you go into the future ruined more or less the entire game for me, the final disc was just boring and lacked major points that made it great in the first place and for the reason alone for me it doesn’t hold its own against the hard hitters. ***Now (for some reason) the most controversial game in the series, VII. Now which one are you? A "Final Fantasy Seven Fan Boy" or "ffsfb" for short OR someone who thinks it’s overrated by a country mile? Regardless, I don’t care. It's colossal, genius and will be an icon and benchmark for years to come, Yes it’s not perfect, but what it did right it did too perfection. It’s hard to pick out real flaws in this game without being picky to be honest. Is it a coincidence that Google knows no link to "ff7 disadvantages" or "ff7 bad review" or maybe that I can go to any online game or forum on the World Wide Web and guaranteed I will see someone with the name sephiroth29466 or similar? It did so many things right and so little wrong that they aren’t worth mentioning at all... ever. X, VII, VI, VIIII, AND VIII. My top 5 But again my opinion, my 2 cents and 4 and a half thousand words. I wrote this nearly 2 years after the last comment, but I couldn’t help myself, if anyone out there managed to read this all I apologise if I wasted 10 minutes of your life and will give them back the second I perfect time travel. PLEASE EMAIL OR REPLY AS ID LOVE TO SEE YOUR TAKE ON THIS?
  • Roofipl - January 30, 2012 3:44 p.m.

Hah, wasted my 10 minutes? nahh i enjoyed reading your opinion and i agree on a lot of things, funny enough FF VII is a big game, i mean i remember playing it years ago and that amazing feeling it gave me when i was sitting on my bed at 4 am in the morning with just the ps1 and TV on while in one of the towns, the sci-fi punk feel it had, amazing, nevertheless it isnt the best FF game, 6 was really good i agree, X? dont even ask, amazingly good. Now FF 13? hmm now that was just....i can say i enjoyed it when i locked my brain up and forgot about what FF is, it wasnt the best though, now i played FF XIII-2 for a bit now (got a early copy for testing) and i got to say that the game is very good, it has that FF feel i missed in 13, the battle system, well it has a few added features but its pretty much the same as 13, although the overall feel of it is much better. Love your comment by the way, it made me make this account just now so that i can reply haha. And damn, i nearly forgot, you might say that FF XII wasnt that good, didnt feel like an FF game, but for some reason i actually liked the way it felt, i loved how i could walk around the town and go kill a tomatoe for a mission, i enjoyed the story and the combat, i got to say the game is harder than the others, but i enjoyed it to bits, plus i got it because of that golden sticked on the ps2 cover that said 10/10 haha, i was on vacation and got it for 400ZL i think, well i enjoyed commenting back, as you can see i didnt make paragraphs nor have i watched my spelling and punctuation but its late at night so people should understand :P
  • Zanarkand92 - June 3, 2012 9:25 a.m.

Man i actually love you right now people talk about the old classics like VII and IV but you are so right X is easyly the best final fantasy, if not best RPG game ever made i love it to bits the characters the story the actually gameplay its amazing. Its turn based system got slated but tbh that added an amazing thought process to the game you didnt just have to tapping a button like XIII to win to had to plan your attacks. Saying that i liked XIII the story was great and to all you peeps out there that say its too liner........arnt all FF games like that you follow the story and then at some point in the game you are free to roam? like in FFX once you get the ship you can go anywhere in any order and in XIII once your on pulse you can gather about 50 hours of roaming and thats just doing the cie'th stone missions. All FF games go in a straght line duhhh just depends on what you play games for! Me, i personally am a sucker for good story lines especially if you can make the connection to the characters. On a last note am BUZZING for the re-master FFX to be released for PS3/360 the only reason i keep my PS2 is for FFX lol. also FFXII was fucking aweful i hope the team where blown up after that was released (just saying.....not a racist or anything like that but they deserved to be shot)
  • james-hensley - January 4, 2012 5:18 a.m.

Ah it does my heart good to see this list and some of the comments here. I know that some people here are without a doubt true fans of the series. I tell people all the time that VI is the best of all time (and VIII was garbage aside from the cinematics). I'm not really a fan of most of the newer ones past IX, which I think could have been one of the best of all time if it didn't sorta just fall off after the first two discs. And yes, Tactics was one of the best. In my opinion it's storyline and soundtrack rivaled that of VI.
  • mays_blaziken - August 24, 2011 5:33 a.m.

i have to say final fantasy 6 is the best and 4 the 2nd best
  • robertjohnson - June 8, 2011 12:23 p.m.

Actually, incorrect post. According to IMDb (www.imdb.com), the public have voted the top 7 FF games you chose to be different. Final Fantasy XII: 8.4/10 (1,385 votes) Final Fantasy V: 7.9 (217 votes) Final Fantasy IX: 8.7 (1,290 votes) Final Fantasy X: 9.2 (2,423 votes) Final Fantasy VII: 9.6 (3,684 votes) Final Fantasy IV: 8.4 (332 votes) Final Fantasy VI: 9.1 (728 votes) Therefore from top to bottom it is: 1. FFVII 2. FFX 3. FFVI 4. FFIX 5. FFXII (more votes than FFIV) 6. FFIV 7. FFV
  • angeleslloyd - May 23, 2011 4:59 a.m.

if i have to put FFXIII, then it will be at 3rd pushed downwards.. 1st - FFVI 2nd - FFIV 3rd - FFXIII 4th - FFI 5th - FFIX 6th - FFVII 7th - FFX i hate to admit it but i have a crush on Lightning.. :P she's cute..
  • angeleslloyd - May 23, 2011 4:37 a.m.

my list is 1st - FFVI 2nd - FFIV 3rd - FFI 4th - FFIX 5th - FFVII 6th - FFX 7th - FFV all i can say is,a true FF Fanatic knows that FFVIII sucks and a gamer that does not consider himself an FF Fanatic loves FFVIII. An FF Fanatic raises the flag of FFVI and tears the flag of FFVIII and a FF Stranger, who just played FFVIII only , YOU ARE OFF LIMITS HERE.. FFVI!! rules!! i love Locke Cole!!
  • Overman8 - May 16, 2011 8:08 p.m.

I agree that FFVI is definitely one of the best, but it's sad that Tactics is pushed to the sidelines so often. It's definitely the best in the entire series.
  • Wombatic - May 13, 2011 6:28 a.m.

I'd say that Final Fantasy 12 was the best of the series. Final Fantasy X was likely second, due to what it brought. 12 had the best story, presentation, battle system, quest list, and of course the graphics in retrospective to its platform. Though 13 has better ones, the graphics aren't entirely supreme unlike 12 which were barely even rivaled by any other game. The gambit system was perfect, especially since it wasn't too slow, too fast, or just too pointless. It was in every way perfect: no matter what you played. The way the game worked and ran its system was logical, and exclusive. The battle system it had was completely exceptional, to the point that I honestly don't expect any other game to come near it. Difficulty? Check. Play against Yaimat and the Omega Mark just to feel the long battles that actually take a lot of planning and effort to get them right. Those battles against the Espers were quite honestly some of the most suspenseful fights a Final Fantasy has had. Characters and story were considered dull to most people, but it was a story that basically was for more mature audiences and people that could understand its value. It had a lot of great involved, and was quite sophisticated. I enjoyed it. Hunts and the fact that Gil was rare created a lot of appeal in that game. It wasn't like in FFX or any Final Fantasy before that where you could dominate due mainly to raking up money and purchasing armor with relative ease...This game's currency was difficult as shit to collect and you had to basically do hunts in order to even purchase some basic armor early on in the game. The way the Espers worked pretty nice, although it'd have been better if they acted as a fourth or fifth, rather than a small summon. Honestly, this was the best game of the series, and had the most to offer in terms of playing. They even had an in game trophy list, which you could max out and keep track of completing everything in the game. FF7 was weak, fact is Crisis Core was better than that shit. 8 was horrible. 9 looked like shit and played like it... 11 sucks. 14 sucks. 13 has honestly the most faulty battle system and quite a few problems every where... The whole "listen to people's conversations" part is horrible. X was pretty good, however, it eventually became a breeze unless you started doing challenges that didn't involve the sphere grid. X-2 was a pretty good game. I honestly don't understand why people don't give that game its fair chance... It has one of the most challenging battle system around, especially when you refuse to use a cat nip. 1-4 are completely outdated. They cannot compare because they were weak as heck. 5 and 6 are what'd you call pathetic. They didn't add anything at all to the series, never had changed the worldview of Final Fantasy like 7 and 10 managed to do. 12 is the greatest game of the series; it looks the best, runs the best, and feels complete unlike the predecessors. 13 is a shame, as it wasn't ever fully completed, it's like an incomplete game...
  • Jusutiin - September 29, 2011 4:18 a.m.

Hmmm, seems to me like you (Wombatic) haven't beaten, or let alone played more than an hour of any FF game other than X and XII. To say FFIV-IX were horrible and pathetic is disservice to both the series and it's fans. In your opinion XII may be the best, and I respect that; however, I recommend you play the other games in their entirety before you bash and tear them apart. I know it's tough for younger gamers to appreciate the older entries in the series due to graphics and what not, but there is beauty to be found in each game. I only became interested in the Final Fantasy series a couple weeks ago, and right now my favorite entries are FFIX and FFVI. Those are the only two I've beaten though, haha. VI, and IX have caused me to fall head over heels for the Final Fantasy series. Right now I am working my way through the original Final Fantasy and I plan to play through each game in sequential order after I beat it.
  • FordFiesta - April 9, 2011 9:30 p.m.

Absolutely loved Final Fantasy X. It was my first ps2 rpg, and it shocked me at how good it was. Visually, and audio wise it was at the top of it's game. It's the final fantasy I remember the most, due to it's impact. FF6, 7, 8, 1 and 2 were all amazing as well. Final Fantasy 12, in my opinion deserves more credit. I believe it was totally unique for the franchise, and it's sad to see how much hate it got. After I finish the game I'm playing right now, I'm going to play Final Fantasy 13.
  • dcbernman - April 1, 2011 10:55 p.m.

I've been playing all the FFs starting with the SNES era. So far I've complete 4,6,7,8, and 9. I started 5, and bought a PS2 and a copy of X. Can't wait to get started on that. I have found every FF to be totally unique, and I love all of them so far! It's really hard to cluster them together as a franchise because they can be pretty different from each other when it comes to the art, story, and music, which are really important to me in games. While I'm not sure I can have a favorite FF, 6 will always have a special place for me. It was the first FF I ever played and had an amazing cast. The visuals and the music on the SNES are top notch, comparable (and perhaps losing) only to Chrono Trigger. I just hope that I'll be alive to see at least a dozen more FF titles down the road. FF is like my Studio Ghibli of gaming : )
  • masterdon8 - March 30, 2011 5:19 p.m.

In all seriousness, as someone pointed out, how you rank the FF (main series) depends on the order you played them; and whether you're going to rank them independently against particular criteria (objective or subjective) or comparatively against each other against a set of criteria. Most 'best lists' are far too simplistic, aimed at masturbatory satisfaction or inciting hate... The order I finished (not necessarily 'first' played) FF is: 8, 7, 9, 6, T, 5, 10, 13, 12. Putting aside feelings and emotions (at best), I think FF games should be graded against storyline (execution, depth, structure, originality), gameplay (battle mechanics), replayability (longevity + fun), playability (learning curve), music + a weighted grade for graphics or some defined standard of how you're going to grade it since you cannot seriously give FF6 a '8' and give FF8 a '7'... That's just stupid... When grading a RPG its the whole package that counts; and I think most fans focus overly on one or two aspects in a certain game that made it shine, or mixed their own nostalgia with actual grading. So rather than pick ones' own, why not try use a proper nutted out grading benchmark? Finally while I can accept FF6 can reign top spot, I cannot stomach the fact FF12 is noted positively for its story and characters. If anything, FF12's gameplay probably saved it from being the slapdash mess it felt; however even that was dogged by several quite damning aspects - bad programing making high-level magic take forever to queue and cast via gambits; plenty of useless gambits; lack of useful gambits; gambits failed in crowds; gambits almost always failed at bosses unless you had a walkthrough etc. It also has one of the poorest replayabilities of any FF I've played because it has some of the most tedious and unstimulating sidequests. But for the aesthetics, FF12 I would've ranked this last along with the bore FF13 was!
  • RAF - January 20, 2011 2:29 a.m.

How do you all still get this so wrong, the best FF is TACTICS, TACTICS, TACTICS!!!!!!! then 7, 10, 8 and THEN 6! Everyone has been good, most of them great but FF6 is sooooo overrated.
  • tj06jackson - December 17, 2010 5:48 a.m.

ive played FF's 7,8,9,10 all of them are masterpieces in my opinion. i just cant rank which ones the best because they're all great in there own rite. if i were to choose a favorite it would be FF10 because i really got connected to the characters story music and gameplay more than the others.
  • deathwish - September 26, 2010 8:58 p.m.

People that want to be cool hipsters that like stuff that nobody ever heard about like Final Fantasy VI, most people know that Final Fantasy VII is a far superior game.
  • deathwish - September 26, 2010 8:52 p.m.

I'm sorry but this list is retarded. The best Final Fantasy's are IX, X, and XII, and VII. Final Fantasy VI? what are you guys smoking the game looked so retarded.
  • Locust - September 8, 2010 8:54 p.m.

No mention of Tactics? For shame.