• slowthinker - October 16, 2013 5:51 a.m.

Why FF9 has horrible sales despite it's great metacritics score, you ask? It's very simple. It is for the same reason why FF8 has awesome sales despite the fact it is not very well regarded. FF8 sales were great because of the FF7 success. Then people were let down by FF8 (I don't understand why, it was probably too complex for most, story was a little bit cliche, but that's the only flaw for me) and simply didn't buy FF9, also add the fact that when it was released the PS2 was on the horizon...
  • roosevelto - November 18, 2013 5:32 a.m.

I think is more about the PS2 coming. Also, because, indeed there where many people were let down by FFVIII, but there where also many people who actually enjoyed ff8 a lot, and they didn't think the little funny guy with a tale, was going to give an experience like ffviii (Many thought FFix was a step back).
  • FeloniousMax - February 21, 2014 4:18 p.m.

Absolutely hated VIII and IX is my favorite, and no it wasn't too complex, it was just meh overall, IX had personality, and though it wasn't without it's flaws, it still holds up.
  • GameManiac - February 22, 2014 10:22 a.m.

Didn't Nobuo Uematsu regard his musical work in Final Fantasy IX to be his best? I've yet to know that for certain, because I've never (but want to badly!) played that game. All I know about FFIX's soundtrack is "Melodies of Life" and Freya Crescent's Theme (assuming it's actually titled that), and both tracks give off emotion.
  • Vonter - February 22, 2014 11:39 a.m.

I think its hold in the same regard as the WW. It's an amazing game, but for some it rubs them the wrong way, because of it's more charismatic design and also that the MC has a tail [ I've seen people complain for much less.]
  • dark96assassin - October 5, 2013 4:45 p.m.

btw ignore the FFXII I meant to type FFXIII
  • dark96assassin - October 5, 2013 4:39 p.m.

im sick of hearing how great FFXII was it fucking sucked and I have played all the ff series which is why I say im disappointed how little credit FFVIII gets its in my opinion the best and yes I compare it to 6 and 7 in the correct order the best are 8,6,7,10,12,14 only cause the graphics and online play and 13 does not even get a rank it sucks that bad
  • ominous240 - September 23, 2013 10:53 a.m.

And the graphics and soundtrack in XIII the best hands down. Yes the linear part sucked but i got over it and the storyline ok unlike XIII-2
  • ominous240 - September 23, 2013 10:48 a.m.

But to me XIII was not as bad as some people say it had a fast paced battle system with action but still held the true ATB tradition just with multi-segment actions which was cool. half the characters were bad and they were snow, vanille and hope though he became more tolerable later on sazh was the best character personality wise. Also it was challenging which i loved compared to some past FF games.
  • dcbernman - August 26, 2013 5:17 p.m.

I feel compelled to add that despite FFXII's issues, it has a spectacular localization and art style. I mean, think about it. It's a huge game and the quality and detail is still pretty stunning (not to mention consistent throughout). This game would look exquisite in HD (I think) so an HD version would be a nice chance to tweak some of the annoying distractions. I won't say it's my favorite FF game (I would even say I find it exhausting to play because of it's slow pacing between plot development scenes), but it IS my favorite Final Fantasy world, far and away. It's really the one that gives me the impression that there's a world there, with distinct factions, nations, and cultures. Sorry, that kinda gushed out. Anyway, if you're interested in the FF series and haven't treated yourself to XII, I still highly recommend giving it a shot.
  • gamexpert - August 24, 2013 6:23 p.m.

I personally have gone through all ff games and never regretted the great story lines on the series. And I have to say being as is, the best ft games as of 1987 to 2013 games, I have to say the following are the best I've seen. best story line: -final fanatsy III(GBA version) -final fantasy X(with sequel of X-2) -final fantasy IX(with XI too even if look alike) Best battle system: -final fantasy XII -final fantasy IX -final fantasy XII Best graphics: -final fantasy XVI -final fantasy XIII -final fantasy XVII(even though its online) Best leveling system: -final fantasy X(mainly cause of sphere grids) -final fantasy XII -final fantasy I~IX(due to same lvl system) Would write more but getting bored sitting and typing. But over all final fantasy has othe new games so consider the other systems as well to your library known as a brain lol, to clarify I don't have favorite final fantasy games due to most of them takeing my interest to new heights.if this were to be a debate or discussion on best square enix games, I would personally have chosen xenoblade chronicles.due to the graphics design, battle system,and unique story line.even though it has less skills and none of the magic its still one of my top games in history of square Unix games. To haters. These are solely my opinions and do not speak for you.so your oppinon does not matter to me but more of a suggestion more than a fact thank you whoever got to the end of my statement
  • Thirdrawn - August 27, 2013 10:41 a.m.

Just stick with arabic numbers rather than roman numerals. I doubt very much that you have a valid opinion on FF16 or FF17. Those mistakes cast doubt on your whole post. Unless you're a time traveler, of course....
  • TheGooseinator - February 21, 2014 4:27 p.m.

Final Fantasies XVI and XVII don't exist yet XD. Did you mean XIII and XIV?
  • EZROCK - July 8, 2013 6:41 p.m.

I remembered to rate this article after playing some of the games. Agree with the list (maybe not 8 but we all have our opinions). For those who say anything later than IX is the best I must ask if you have played VI. If not, do it. You will have improved your life. Maybe it was just me but I found it much more enjoyable than any other game when I first played it in 2013. Speaks volumes about the game itself, the graphics may be outdated but the rest is godly.
  • Noddy - May 20, 2013 11:47 a.m.

I think firstly you asked why you play Final Fantasy. It's not for a challenging hard fought game. There are plenty of puzzle or action games that take solving and good hand eye coordination. I only played from 7 onwards but would like to play 6. However for me, Final Fantasy is following a story and the best stories are 7 ,8 and 10 in that order. 12 and 13 were uninspired and linear. Especially with 7 and 8 there was so much to explore and discover. If you simply follow the story it's possible to miss out on quite a bit. The reason 7 has such a huge following is the story was so involved and capturing. It wasn't very difficult to beat the game. However Ruby weapon was time consuming. Anyway for me 7 because the story was so great! 8 was a close 2nd.
  • mike-wallace - June 23, 2013 1:41 a.m.

Dude, go play final fantasy vi. Hands down a better story line than 7 and 8. The character development for all characters is immense and you really connect them through the rich story. I love 7 and 8 as well but 6 is where it's at.
  • ominous240 - September 23, 2013 10:41 a.m.

Did you just say xii was linear lol are you crazy that was the least linear FF. Anyways to me 6 is the best then in order from best first 6,10,4,12,8
  • teejay-utube - May 18, 2013 8:48 p.m.

okay they totally forgot FFX-2. I might be the only one that thinks this, but the game play in x-2 is unbeatable compared to any other final fantasy game. The way they set the game up, so you could do optional missions and go wherever in the world you wanted to, instead of having to follow a story line just like every other final fantasy game, was absolutely amazing. And the dressphere also added a very unique way of changing "classes" like other ff games. Also, I just absolutely loved the final fantasy x/x-2 storyline. I literally cried when Yuna and Tidus get back together at the end of x-2. It was the best thing that ever happened and I was literally just happy for a week straight because I beat the game and saw that ending.
  • awesomeness - April 30, 2013 11:55 p.m.

7, 8 and 9 are my favourites. Whether they're the best, I don't know, but 7, 8 and 9 are what made final fantasy what it is. Some of my best memories where playing those games.
  • CalDirty - April 10, 2013 10:35 a.m.

I just got FF3 for my android. I was looking up info and came across this discussion. After reading all the comments, I wouldn't to put an older perspective spin on the discussion in regards to FF 1 and 2. 1st off, I truly believe FFs should be compared to titles getting released at the same time, not others of said franchise. FF1 was released against titles such as Dragon Warrior, and unlike its competitors, offered choice. This was huge at that time, and set the precedent for what RPGs were to be. One must realize, until NES fantasy titles came out, all one had was arcade games and text based games for PCs like the Apple IIe. Anything you could actually look at was awesome, but Final Fantasy went above and beyond what people were expecting. FF2 was so anticipated that when it was released several friends and I actually ditched middle school for 3 days straight just to play it. Fighting over the chance to grind out levels. The hidden passageways. The fights. Things to do not necessary for completion. When we thought we were close to the end, a whole other "underworld" map comes into play. And just when we thought this must be the end, you go to another planet with another map. Blew our minds. I've enjoyed the commentary as to the more modern titles, some I will be searching for because of them. But I felt someone older needed to put their 2 cents in as for the originals.