• BladedFalcon - February 21, 2014 2:49 p.m.

...What? FFTA2 is the second bets game of the series??? AND Better than Final Fantasy Tactics??? That HAS to be a mistake... Look, FFTA2 was an alright game, and yeah, the gameplay was pretty good... But the characters and story were mediocre at best, if not downright bad, and I'm sorry, you can't just hand-wave those aspects when talking about Final Fantasy games. In Contrast, the gameplay in FFT doesn't still hold up great, the story is arguably the smartest, most mature one told in the entire series, EVEN counting FFVI. I know we all have different tastes, and I know this list so probably not gonna be changed any time soon... But yeah, I greatly disagree with FFTA2 being that obscenely high... SPECIALLY above FFT, that's a fucking travesty. It's as if you had put FFV above FFVI just because it had a better gameplay even though the story was very meh... Fortunately, at least you got the core games right, FFVI is indeed, no challenge, the best FF game to date.
  • GR HollanderCooper - February 21, 2014 3:35 p.m.

As someone who tried to play FFT for the first time recently... it really doesn't hold up that well. If you played it way back when, sure, it's super cool still, but going in blind in 2014 that game has some pacing issues like woah.
  • BladedFalcon - February 21, 2014 3:53 p.m.

I played the PSP remake back in 2008, and while I agree that the pacing at first can be rough, the core game-play is still stellar, and the story is fantastic, and with an angle that almost no other games have tackled before: A story in which you follow two friends, one who is celebrated trough history as a hero and savior of the land, and the other branded as a heretic and a traitor... And you follow the story of the heretic one and find out the contrivances of politics and religions that twisted history so, but with the reality being vastly different. Even if FFTA2's pacing is friendlier, that doesn't make it the better game, specially when it has a story so meandering and predictable, you already know how it's gonna end one third into it.
  • Pruman - February 22, 2014 4:19 p.m.

Dorter Trade City - which is like, the fourth level? - was more than enough to make me quit in frustration in '98. When I finally picked it up again a few years ago, I pretty much broke the game after about 20 hours of grinding (get two ninjas with Barehanded and two fully trained Calculators). But that puts people off too. It also doesn't help that the original PS translation barely even qualifies as English. From what I hear, the War of the Lions remake fixes that issue up nicely.
  • Jhackler - February 21, 2014 1:54 p.m.

I would love if final fantasy 7 was remade with the final fantasy 13 battle system
  • slowthinker - October 16, 2013 5:51 a.m.

Why FF9 has horrible sales despite it's great metacritics score, you ask? It's very simple. It is for the same reason why FF8 has awesome sales despite the fact it is not very well regarded. FF8 sales were great because of the FF7 success. Then people were let down by FF8 (I don't understand why, it was probably too complex for most, story was a little bit cliche, but that's the only flaw for me) and simply didn't buy FF9, also add the fact that when it was released the PS2 was on the horizon...
  • roosevelto - November 18, 2013 5:32 a.m.

I think is more about the PS2 coming. Also, because, indeed there where many people were let down by FFVIII, but there where also many people who actually enjoyed ff8 a lot, and they didn't think the little funny guy with a tale, was going to give an experience like ffviii (Many thought FFix was a step back).
  • FeloniousMax - February 21, 2014 4:18 p.m.

Absolutely hated VIII and IX is my favorite, and no it wasn't too complex, it was just meh overall, IX had personality, and though it wasn't without it's flaws, it still holds up.
  • GameManiac - February 22, 2014 10:22 a.m.

Didn't Nobuo Uematsu regard his musical work in Final Fantasy IX to be his best? I've yet to know that for certain, because I've never (but want to badly!) played that game. All I know about FFIX's soundtrack is "Melodies of Life" and Freya Crescent's Theme (assuming it's actually titled that), and both tracks give off emotion.
  • Vonter - February 22, 2014 11:39 a.m.

I think its hold in the same regard as the WW. It's an amazing game, but for some it rubs them the wrong way, because of it's more charismatic design and also that the MC has a tail [ I've seen people complain for much less.]
  • dark96assassin - October 5, 2013 4:45 p.m.

btw ignore the FFXII I meant to type FFXIII
  • dark96assassin - October 5, 2013 4:39 p.m.

im sick of hearing how great FFXII was it fucking sucked and I have played all the ff series which is why I say im disappointed how little credit FFVIII gets its in my opinion the best and yes I compare it to 6 and 7 in the correct order the best are 8,6,7,10,12,14 only cause the graphics and online play and 13 does not even get a rank it sucks that bad
  • ominous240 - September 23, 2013 10:53 a.m.

And the graphics and soundtrack in XIII the best hands down. Yes the linear part sucked but i got over it and the storyline ok unlike XIII-2
  • ominous240 - September 23, 2013 10:48 a.m.

But to me XIII was not as bad as some people say it had a fast paced battle system with action but still held the true ATB tradition just with multi-segment actions which was cool. half the characters were bad and they were snow, vanille and hope though he became more tolerable later on sazh was the best character personality wise. Also it was challenging which i loved compared to some past FF games.
  • dcbernman - August 26, 2013 5:17 p.m.

I feel compelled to add that despite FFXII's issues, it has a spectacular localization and art style. I mean, think about it. It's a huge game and the quality and detail is still pretty stunning (not to mention consistent throughout). This game would look exquisite in HD (I think) so an HD version would be a nice chance to tweak some of the annoying distractions. I won't say it's my favorite FF game (I would even say I find it exhausting to play because of it's slow pacing between plot development scenes), but it IS my favorite Final Fantasy world, far and away. It's really the one that gives me the impression that there's a world there, with distinct factions, nations, and cultures. Sorry, that kinda gushed out. Anyway, if you're interested in the FF series and haven't treated yourself to XII, I still highly recommend giving it a shot.
  • gamexpert - August 24, 2013 6:23 p.m.

I personally have gone through all ff games and never regretted the great story lines on the series. And I have to say being as is, the best ft games as of 1987 to 2013 games, I have to say the following are the best I've seen. best story line: -final fanatsy III(GBA version) -final fantasy X(with sequel of X-2) -final fantasy IX(with XI too even if look alike) Best battle system: -final fantasy XII -final fantasy IX -final fantasy XII Best graphics: -final fantasy XVI -final fantasy XIII -final fantasy XVII(even though its online) Best leveling system: -final fantasy X(mainly cause of sphere grids) -final fantasy XII -final fantasy I~IX(due to same lvl system) Would write more but getting bored sitting and typing. But over all final fantasy has othe new games so consider the other systems as well to your library known as a brain lol, to clarify I don't have favorite final fantasy games due to most of them takeing my interest to new heights.if this were to be a debate or discussion on best square enix games, I would personally have chosen xenoblade chronicles.due to the graphics design, battle system,and unique story line.even though it has less skills and none of the magic its still one of my top games in history of square Unix games. To haters. These are solely my opinions and do not speak for you.so your oppinon does not matter to me but more of a suggestion more than a fact thank you whoever got to the end of my statement
  • Thirdrawn - August 27, 2013 10:41 a.m.

Just stick with arabic numbers rather than roman numerals. I doubt very much that you have a valid opinion on FF16 or FF17. Those mistakes cast doubt on your whole post. Unless you're a time traveler, of course....
  • TheGooseinator - February 21, 2014 4:27 p.m.

Final Fantasies XVI and XVII don't exist yet XD. Did you mean XIII and XIV?
  • EZROCK - July 8, 2013 6:41 p.m.

I remembered to rate this article after playing some of the games. Agree with the list (maybe not 8 but we all have our opinions). For those who say anything later than IX is the best I must ask if you have played VI. If not, do it. You will have improved your life. Maybe it was just me but I found it much more enjoyable than any other game when I first played it in 2013. Speaks volumes about the game itself, the graphics may be outdated but the rest is godly.
  • Noddy - May 20, 2013 11:47 a.m.

I think firstly you asked why you play Final Fantasy. It's not for a challenging hard fought game. There are plenty of puzzle or action games that take solving and good hand eye coordination. I only played from 7 onwards but would like to play 6. However for me, Final Fantasy is following a story and the best stories are 7 ,8 and 10 in that order. 12 and 13 were uninspired and linear. Especially with 7 and 8 there was so much to explore and discover. If you simply follow the story it's possible to miss out on quite a bit. The reason 7 has such a huge following is the story was so involved and capturing. It wasn't very difficult to beat the game. However Ruby weapon was time consuming. Anyway for me 7 because the story was so great! 8 was a close 2nd.
  • mike-wallace - June 23, 2013 1:41 a.m.

Dude, go play final fantasy vi. Hands down a better story line than 7 and 8. The character development for all characters is immense and you really connect them through the rich story. I love 7 and 8 as well but 6 is where it's at.
  • ominous240 - September 23, 2013 10:41 a.m.

Did you just say xii was linear lol are you crazy that was the least linear FF. Anyways to me 6 is the best then in order from best first 6,10,4,12,8