• Doctor_Pancakes - February 22, 2014 8:29 a.m.

Don't get me wrong I really like VII but but it is hard to respect when even at the time it still felt like a huge step back for the series. Music wise I've listened to all of the sound tracks many times over the years and when compared to the likes of Chrono Trigger and FFVI which are on old hardware VII's sound track sounds dated and over an over all step back in quality in the music composition it self. The battle system felt dated for the time two when compared to Super Mario RPG, FFVI, and Chrono Trigger too, the material system was a Hassel and the flow of battles just felt janked. Leaving out physical enemies on the field was a mystery to me too after being introduced to it in the she's days. And lastly don't get me started on the giant spoiler midway through the game... I was GLAD the character was slaughtered. Weakest of the cast and Tifa was better anyway. I never understood with gamers and critics alike were so moved by that scene... it had nothing on the Opera scene before it in VI and after that segment the game finally picked back up again. That is my say peeps, cheers on a great list!
  • sephex - February 22, 2014 2:53 p.m.

The fact that FF VI had some better scenes or cast doesn't mean that VII was anything other than a pretty huge game. Besides I think the combat in VII is better. I don't like the personal attacks in VI at all. The game world being better is also a plus. Chrono Trigger might be a better game but then that's the best RPG of all time.
  • timothy-pearson - February 24, 2014 11:54 a.m.

I agree with you, but I prefer Chrono Cross over Chrono Trigger;It is an overlooked game :P FF7 has much more than just a superior combat than FF6; it has fun mini-games, an affection system that wasn't brought back until FF10, and Exciting Optional Bosses like Emerald Weapon and Ruby Weapon.
  • Pruman - February 22, 2014 4:13 p.m.

I never got the huge reaction over that either. For one, it makes no sense in a universe where resurrection from death is just a Phoenix Down away. Second, I never had her in my party due to her nearly total uselessness in any context other than healing. Yet some people who played that game act like Square threw a puppy into a wood chipper. I can name five moments off the top of my head from other Final Fantasies that moved me more than that. I thought that learning what REALLY happened in Nibelheim was a much cooler twist.
  • Doctor_Pancakes - February 23, 2014 8:44 a.m.

Me too 3 of them being from FFX alone Lol
  • sephex - February 22, 2014 7:55 a.m.

FFX looks better than it is. FF VI, VII and XII are the best with VIII and Tactics rounding up the top 5.
  • death4us - February 21, 2014 5:13 p.m.

Final fantasy mystic quest belongs with the top games even though it was on the snes
  • BladedFalcon - February 21, 2014 10:01 p.m.

... Final Fantasy VI is the number 1 spot and it's a SNES game, so your point confuses me somewhat ._.
  • Redeater - February 22, 2014 1:39 p.m.

You must be a blast at parties. :D
  • BladedFalcon - February 22, 2014 1:59 p.m.

Just like you must be as well, no doubt ;)
  • Redeater - February 22, 2014 3:39 p.m.

Why yes, yes I am! I actually owe it all to the advice I got from my grandfather on my 5th birthday. He said, "Redeater, you'll get along great with people as long as you don't walk up to others and feel the need to constantly correct them or question their opinion. Most people find it difficult to tolerate someone who is the answer to a question nobody asked, especially on the internet." Oddly specific now that I think about it since this was decades before most people would have even heard of the internet..... Come to think of it, how exactly did he know what my user name was going to be since I based it on a completely different event? I'm going to have to down a lot more Erdingers if I'm to come up with the answer to this mystery!
  • BladedFalcon - February 22, 2014 5:09 p.m.

Hey, yeah! That was so very specific of him to say,.. Goes to show he was a very knowledgeable, wise man *Nods* I don't suppose that among the nuggets of wisdom he imparted to you, he said anything along the lines of "Be ever vigilant about what you say, take special care of not contradicting your own words too, nobody likes an hypocrite. Oh, an if you're going to voice your opinion in a public place, saying things dripping with sarcasm toward other's opinions, or being self righteous is likely not the best way to get a good reaction from anyone." I dunno, it just feels like something he'd say, I think... But hey, I guess we can't all be lucky to have such wisdom imparted to us, and some of us do end up acting like assholes in the Internet. In that case then, I guess it might be better to just embrace it, and be honest with what you are, instead of pretending you aren't and yet still being a huge asshole anyway ;)
  • Redeater - February 22, 2014 8:49 p.m.

Everybody loves a good charismatic asshole. There are worse qualities to have. :D
  • BladedFalcon - February 22, 2014 9:09 p.m.

Can't argue with that, conceitedness being of one such kind ;)
  • SirNinja - February 21, 2014 4:49 p.m.

A bold choice, putting Tactics A2 up so high, though it's difficult to disagree. The story, while not as "epic" as Tactics or FFTA before it, was simple and light; it wasn't anything more than it needed to be. Gameplay-wise, it's excellent, and that's what really matters anyway. Good list!
  • FeloniousMax - February 21, 2014 4:14 p.m.

Below should read "Meh, everyone's list is gonna be different." Not "Men"
  • Spider3PO - February 22, 2014 2:21 p.m.

Lol. But the error is more entertaining. "Men, everyone's list is going to be..." I imagined a General standing atop a stage in helmet. Like an old US WWII style helmet. The Patton of video games, addressing the crowd. Then he tells them his list of favorites. To the soldiers' bewilderment. Uncertain, where his speech is going. Not a troll post by the way. This is what I imagined reading the comment. I just wanted to share my interpretation.
  • FeloniousMax - February 21, 2014 4:13 p.m.

Men, everyone's list is gonna be different, VIII being above Crisis Core, Tactics and XII is just all out wrong, though (worst straight numbered game in the series). Also ARR is just gonna go up in popularity over the next couple years, mark my words. Top three in my opinion are 3) FFXII 2)FFVI 1)FFIX
  • BladedFalcon - February 21, 2014 2:49 p.m.

...What? FFTA2 is the second bets game of the series??? AND Better than Final Fantasy Tactics??? That HAS to be a mistake... Look, FFTA2 was an alright game, and yeah, the gameplay was pretty good... But the characters and story were mediocre at best, if not downright bad, and I'm sorry, you can't just hand-wave those aspects when talking about Final Fantasy games. In Contrast, the gameplay in FFT doesn't still hold up great, the story is arguably the smartest, most mature one told in the entire series, EVEN counting FFVI. I know we all have different tastes, and I know this list so probably not gonna be changed any time soon... But yeah, I greatly disagree with FFTA2 being that obscenely high... SPECIALLY above FFT, that's a fucking travesty. It's as if you had put FFV above FFVI just because it had a better gameplay even though the story was very meh... Fortunately, at least you got the core games right, FFVI is indeed, no challenge, the best FF game to date.
  • theguyinthecloset - February 21, 2014 3:02 p.m.

This reminded me of Halo Reach.
  • BladedFalcon - February 21, 2014 3:55 p.m.

How so? I'm not personally insulting any of the staff members, and I'm even acknowledging this merely as my opinion. I reacted strongly sure, because I feel strongly about it, but I'm not crying doom and gloom and saying shit like "Man I've lost all respect for GR WAAAH!", "You guys have been totally paid off!" or anything :P
  • GR HollanderCooper - February 21, 2014 3:35 p.m.

As someone who tried to play FFT for the first time recently... it really doesn't hold up that well. If you played it way back when, sure, it's super cool still, but going in blind in 2014 that game has some pacing issues like woah.