• DaveGoose - February 24, 2014 8:34 a.m.

I disagree with the list entirely. I think part of what makes FF great is how different the games are and how people react to them. If you ask 10 people what their favourite FF game you could get 10 different answers. But I am all for any articles on Final Fantasy! Keep them coming!
  • Clovin64 - February 23, 2014 7:29 a.m.

It makes me sad to see FFXII so low, as it's easily one of my absolute favourites. A huge explorable world, more mature story-telling and dialogue, no real random encounters, almost limitless character customisation and an enormous amount of optional content. Not to mention Balthier is a sexy beast, and is possibly my favourite FF character ever. I'm currently finishing up another playthrough of FFVI (the World of Ruin takes me quite a while to get through!), and I'm planning on going back to FFIX after that. Personally, I'd love FF16 to go back to its colourful medievil fantasy style, with fun, warm and lovable characters. FF15 currently looks far too po-faced and serious right now.
  • Doctor_Pancakes - February 23, 2014 8:30 a.m.

Pretty sure they made Bravely Default to satisfy old school Final Fantasy fans and they did a fantastic job of it! So your wish had happened!
  • Clovin64 - February 23, 2014 11:26 a.m.

Maybe I'm just being greedy, but I'd love a proper current gen old-skool style FF :P Can't wait till I actually get around to buying the full version of Bravely Default, the demo was awesome sauce!
  • mafyooz - February 23, 2014 12:50 a.m.

No Dirge Of Cerberus? For shame.... ;)
  • sephex - February 24, 2014 9:55 a.m.

Thank God!
  • timothy-pearson - February 24, 2014 11:19 a.m.

For real lol, one of my favorite Final Fantasies XD
  • Pruman - February 22, 2014 4:05 p.m.

My top three have always been VI, VII, and X, in that order. I have a theory that Final Fantasy is like Mario Kart - your favorite is whichever one you REALLY got into first. For me, that's VI. It kindled a life-long love of RPGs, which was confirmed and reinforced by VII. Sadly, the ones after that were responsible for effectively killing my interest in the Japanese branch of that genre. It took some dabbling in Dragon Quest to bring it back. If you think RPGs are too damn easy these days, fire one of those up and prepare to be educated. My bottom two are definitely VIII and II. Squall is the douche of douches, and I was rooting for the villains to kill him the entire time. Also, they removed any sense of progression by leveling the enemies with you. II's leveling system is just weird, and I HATE HATE HATE the trap rooms. Disclaimer: I haven't played XIII or its sequels yet. I hear opinions are a bit divided on that one. :)
  • timothy-pearson - February 24, 2014 11:28 a.m.

Funny, I got into Tactics first, then 8, then 9, and then 7 lol which by then I decided 7 was my favorite and still is today :) And now I have played em all. FF13 Lightning Returns is awesome as shit...but Original FF13 was terrible :l As for 8...you must hate people that get picked on js XD Squall has to go through a lot of shit and keep his badassness from falling out of his pants. He gets into a romantic relationship with Rinoa. SHE was character I couldn't stand, reminded me of preps. Squall is a legit badass soldier. But in the end *spoiler* he never gains all of which he traveled so far for. And walks the lonely desert, lost. But overall I enjoy all the Final Fantasy games lol
  • Pruman - February 24, 2014 12:08 p.m.

Eh, to each his own. I really like Tidus and Wakka, and a whole chunk of the fanbase can't stand them. Also, Jecht picked on him pretty bad, but he had a reason for it. :) My problem with Squall is that I've known guys like him in real life, and I generally avoid them. It's no fun to hang out with people who are quiet and pissed off all the time. :)
  • Spider3PO - February 22, 2014 2:48 p.m.

This list needs to be shorter, in my opinion. Even a top twelve would be better. Not that I have anything against sequels and spin offs. Well, when I think of FFX I also automatically think of FFX-2 as an extension. So, I would never separate them if I were to make a top ten in my case. Chocobo Racing is fun, but it would never make my list. Maybe in my list of Top Ten Kart games. It'd probably be number Ten. For easy to use power ups, variety of racers, and vast list of unlockable racers. Though, some tracks of Chocobo Racing are painful to race on. Much like Rainbow Road, multiplied. Anyways, that's my two cents. It was still a good article, just seemed a bit too long.
  • Relayer71 - February 22, 2014 1:14 p.m.

Let me fix that list for you... but mine only goes to 10: - Final Fantasy Tactics - Final Fantasy IX - Final Fantasy IV - Final Fantasy VI - Final Fantasy XII - Final Fantasy X - Final Fantasy V - Final Fantasy VII - Final Fantasy - Final Fantasy VIII You've rated XII way too low - that game is just so misunderstood. And V as always is underrated. Square needs to get back to it's roots as they did with IX which was the best of the PS era games AND a fantastic distillation of what their first 6 FF games represented. VII is always overrated but the main problem with that game is the lousy localization - can you imagine if Atlus' Persona team had localized that one? That one had potential.
  • sephex - February 22, 2014 2:59 p.m.

I agree with XII being underrated, but VII is great, too.
  • den21 - May 28, 2014 5:34 a.m.

first of all, let me re-fix that list for you: 1. Final Fantasy X 2. Final Fantasy VII 3. Final Fantasy VI 4. Final Fantasy XII 5. Final Fantasy VIII 6. Final Fantasy IX 7. Final Fantasy IV well, to begin with, no offense, but your list is nothing more than a personal "my favorites", of course every single person make their list based on their favorite ones, however this time my list is depending on the: storyline, gameplay, battle system, fanbase and on the sales! 1. Final Fantasy X Final Fantasy X/X-2, the second best selling game(s) ever in the Final Fantasy Franchise (FFX was the third for long because of FFVIII was the second, by now it has changed) and Final Fantasy X is the most popular and the most famous Final Fantasy game along with FFVII, it was the one when it moved onto PS2 and the FF series got voice-acting and now it has got the second best selling title after FFVII, furthermore FFX has got a huge fan-base, a very big one and here goes the best reason to put FFX/X-2 into the top3: Final Fantasy X had a wonderful storyline and a very sad and touching ending, in FFX-2 there are multiple endings, everyone can pick their favorite ending and in addition here comes the real deal: Final Fantasy X-2 has got the best Final Fantasy Battle System ever (ATB), moreover even the GamePlay, while Final Fantasy X has got the best Final Fantasy Turn-Based Battle System (CTB) which is wanted to be back by many Final Fantasy Fans, to continue with in FFX you can swap the characters during the battle, finally, need another real deal? well here goes an other, here is the real deal: FFX has got the best leveling system with the "Sphere Grid" and you are able to select "Sphere Grid" / "Garment Grid" between the "Standard" and the "Expert" on, so it's available to go on the given character's path or the one can choose and select freely where to go and what job to take on and X-2 also has the best leveling system with the "Dresspheres" too as well, you can costumize your character (Yuna, Rikku, Paine) the way like you couldn't do before and it is the only Final Fantasy game where you have got control over the Aeons (Summons). Priceless. 2nd. best selling game best storyline best battle system by both of the FFX (CTB) and FFX-2 (ATB) best leveling system best soundtracks love goes for Yuna and Rikku 2. Final Fantasy VII so Final Fantasy VII is the first due to the fact that it reached the 2nd place of the best selling games on PlayStation 1 back then and not because of I'm a FFVII fanboy but as everybody know Final Fantasy VII is the most overrated FF, but it deserves the love, FFVII is a freaking awesome game, so it has got the best sales and have the most fanbase and the story is just like a miracle the leveling system is based on exp, like in the classic ones, but the job system called "Materia System" is the 2. best after FFX's SphereGrid / FFX-2's Dresspheres. enough said. 1st. best selling awesome storyline best soundtracks mass fanbase (and fanbase don't come by itself, it must be deserved) love goes for Cloud and Tifa 3. Final Fantasy VI Final Fantasy VI the one which should be the top1 according to many. in my opinion graphics doesn't matter in JRPGs / RPGs, well it was the first Final Fantasy on PlayStation 1. this game simply kills it's brothers by it's storyline and with the OST "Terra's Theme", this is the game which prepared Squaresoft up for FFVII. what could I say in short: it has got a great fan-base again like FFVII and FFX have, it's battle system is the classic one, FFVI is a treasure. best storyline again love goes for Terra 4. Final Fantasy XII Final Fantasy XII, the game which brought back some FFVI and FFIX feeling with "Alexandria" and the Castles, very nostalgic but still modern, the Zodiac job system is just amazing, the new battle system that you can walk around during the battle was interesting, very new from the Final Fantasy, but still it has came out just perfectly. In fact, the real and the true main character is "Princess Ashe", Vaan is just her asslicker, sorry for that but that's the truth, I loved to play as a protagonist to serve, defend and protect "Ashe", well it's similar to FFX, the story is more about Yuna than Tidus, Tidus is just her guardian like Vaan. Personally I would say: the Zodiac job system is the best one right after FFX's Sphere Grid, FFX-2's Dresspheres system and FFVII's Materia system. Wonderful Storyline Great Battle System Enchanting Job System Well done GamePlay love goes for Ashe
  • AgentSmith2518 - February 22, 2014 12:08 p.m.

VII is my favorite because it was my first FF game. 9 and 10 are close second and third. However, 10-2 still has my favorite battle system of any final fantasy game, I just hated that you couldn't get 100% of the game complete without watching those stupid sphere videos.
  • den21 - May 28, 2014 3:58 a.m.

finally, someone who has got the taste! no matter what people say: FINAL FANTASY X-2 HAS THE VERY BEST BATTLE SYSTEM IN THE ENTIRE WHOLE FINAL FANTASY FRANCHISE! it's a mathematical fact. hands down!!
  • GameManiac - February 22, 2014 10:15 a.m.

Lets see here... Of all of the Final Fantasy games out there, I've played so few. The very first FF game that I've played was Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and I fell in live with the overall formula of that game. Then, I played Final Fantasy IV (the DS version), favoring purchasing that game over The World Ends With You (bought a copy and played that game later anyway). The character cast in that game and the storyline behind it was unbelievably good, and I've played through it a few times. Next, I heard about how Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was getting a sequel (Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift) and I LITERALLY wanted that game right now. That game is easily my favorite FF (spinoff) game, just because it was so deep and so long-lasting. Lastly, and since last year, I was driven to play through all of the main final fantasy games, with a good amount of its spin-offs (especially if they connect to some of the main games). I began with Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls, and it took me well over 50 hours to beat the whole thing, even the Soul of Chaos mode. Overall, I can see where Final Fantasy has grown up from, and how far it has come since those glory days. Next game on my list is Final Fantasy III (the DS version). After that, I'll probably replay Final Fantasy IV DS (again!), then get V and VI (the GBA versions), then VII (to see why it's so well regarded, even though I know it already is), then VIII, then IX (there's something about that Freya Crescent character that I find interesting...), and etc, tackling the spin-offs like Dissidia along the way. Also, I have heard that "Melodies of Life" song from FFIX (because I have a copy of the album "Distant Worlds II: More Music from Final Fantasy". That song is so emotional, which fits with the general theme of its respective game.
  • Doctor_Pancakes - February 22, 2014 8:29 a.m.

Don't get me wrong I really like VII but but it is hard to respect when even at the time it still felt like a huge step back for the series. Music wise I've listened to all of the sound tracks many times over the years and when compared to the likes of Chrono Trigger and FFVI which are on old hardware VII's sound track sounds dated and over an over all step back in quality in the music composition it self. The battle system felt dated for the time two when compared to Super Mario RPG, FFVI, and Chrono Trigger too, the material system was a Hassel and the flow of battles just felt janked. Leaving out physical enemies on the field was a mystery to me too after being introduced to it in the she's days. And lastly don't get me started on the giant spoiler midway through the game... I was GLAD the character was slaughtered. Weakest of the cast and Tifa was better anyway. I never understood with gamers and critics alike were so moved by that scene... it had nothing on the Opera scene before it in VI and after that segment the game finally picked back up again. That is my say peeps, cheers on a great list!
  • sephex - February 22, 2014 2:53 p.m.

The fact that FF VI had some better scenes or cast doesn't mean that VII was anything other than a pretty huge game. Besides I think the combat in VII is better. I don't like the personal attacks in VI at all. The game world being better is also a plus. Chrono Trigger might be a better game but then that's the best RPG of all time.
  • Doctor_Pancakes - February 23, 2014 8:39 a.m.

Yeah it was pretty, my jaw was dropped during the entirety of the game pretty much and yes it was a huge world... but as for it's battle system I just never liked it... well at least until they introduced the Junction system THEN I was missing the materia system pretty hard but that was just an other example of getting worse. Never played IX so a can't comment on it but what they did with X felt like the first real step in the right direction with the Sphere Grid and they improved upon it with the licencing in XII. For me the PS1 era was just a huge letdown for me innovation wise with the franchise.