We Recommend

• Relayer71 - February 22, 2014 1:14 p.m.

Let me fix that list for you... but mine only goes to 10: - Final Fantasy Tactics - Final Fantasy IX - Final Fantasy IV - Final Fantasy VI - Final Fantasy XII - Final Fantasy X - Final Fantasy V - Final Fantasy VII - Final Fantasy - Final Fantasy VIII You've rated XII way too low - that game is just so misunderstood. And V as always is underrated. Square needs to get back to it's roots as they did with IX which was the best of the PS era games AND a fantastic distillation of what their first 6 FF games represented. VII is always overrated but the main problem with that game is the lousy localization - can you imagine if Atlus' Persona team had localized that one? That one had potential.
  • sephex - February 22, 2014 2:59 p.m.

I agree with XII being underrated, but VII is great, too.
  • AgentSmith2518 - February 22, 2014 12:08 p.m.

VII is my favorite because it was my first FF game. 9 and 10 are close second and third. However, 10-2 still has my favorite battle system of any final fantasy game, I just hated that you couldn't get 100% of the game complete without watching those stupid sphere videos.
  • GameManiac - February 22, 2014 10:15 a.m.

Lets see here... Of all of the Final Fantasy games out there, I've played so few. The very first FF game that I've played was Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and I fell in live with the overall formula of that game. Then, I played Final Fantasy IV (the DS version), favoring purchasing that game over The World Ends With You (bought a copy and played that game later anyway). The character cast in that game and the storyline behind it was unbelievably good, and I've played through it a few times. Next, I heard about how Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was getting a sequel (Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift) and I LITERALLY wanted that game right now. That game is easily my favorite FF (spinoff) game, just because it was so deep and so long-lasting. Lastly, and since last year, I was driven to play through all of the main final fantasy games, with a good amount of its spin-offs (especially if they connect to some of the main games). I began with Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls, and it took me well over 50 hours to beat the whole thing, even the Soul of Chaos mode. Overall, I can see where Final Fantasy has grown up from, and how far it has come since those glory days. Next game on my list is Final Fantasy III (the DS version). After that, I'll probably replay Final Fantasy IV DS (again!), then get V and VI (the GBA versions), then VII (to see why it's so well regarded, even though I know it already is), then VIII, then IX (there's something about that Freya Crescent character that I find interesting...), and etc, tackling the spin-offs like Dissidia along the way. Also, I have heard that "Melodies of Life" song from FFIX (because I have a copy of the album "Distant Worlds II: More Music from Final Fantasy". That song is so emotional, which fits with the general theme of its respective game.
  • Doctor_Pancakes - February 22, 2014 8:29 a.m.

Don't get me wrong I really like VII but but it is hard to respect when even at the time it still felt like a huge step back for the series. Music wise I've listened to all of the sound tracks many times over the years and when compared to the likes of Chrono Trigger and FFVI which are on old hardware VII's sound track sounds dated and over an over all step back in quality in the music composition it self. The battle system felt dated for the time two when compared to Super Mario RPG, FFVI, and Chrono Trigger too, the material system was a Hassel and the flow of battles just felt janked. Leaving out physical enemies on the field was a mystery to me too after being introduced to it in the she's days. And lastly don't get me started on the giant spoiler midway through the game... I was GLAD the character was slaughtered. Weakest of the cast and Tifa was better anyway. I never understood with gamers and critics alike were so moved by that scene... it had nothing on the Opera scene before it in VI and after that segment the game finally picked back up again. That is my say peeps, cheers on a great list!
  • sephex - February 22, 2014 2:53 p.m.

The fact that FF VI had some better scenes or cast doesn't mean that VII was anything other than a pretty huge game. Besides I think the combat in VII is better. I don't like the personal attacks in VI at all. The game world being better is also a plus. Chrono Trigger might be a better game but then that's the best RPG of all time.
  • Doctor_Pancakes - February 23, 2014 8:39 a.m.

Yeah it was pretty, my jaw was dropped during the entirety of the game pretty much and yes it was a huge world... but as for it's battle system I just never liked it... well at least until they introduced the Junction system THEN I was missing the materia system pretty hard but that was just an other example of getting worse. Never played IX so a can't comment on it but what they did with X felt like the first real step in the right direction with the Sphere Grid and they improved upon it with the licencing in XII. For me the PS1 era was just a huge letdown for me innovation wise with the franchise.
  • timothy-pearson - February 24, 2014 11:54 a.m.

I agree with you, but I prefer Chrono Cross over Chrono Trigger;It is an overlooked game :P FF7 has much more than just a superior combat than FF6; it has fun mini-games, an affection system that wasn't brought back until FF10, and Exciting Optional Bosses like Emerald Weapon and Ruby Weapon.
  • Pruman - February 22, 2014 4:13 p.m.

I never got the huge reaction over that either. For one, it makes no sense in a universe where resurrection from death is just a Phoenix Down away. Second, I never had her in my party due to her nearly total uselessness in any context other than healing. Yet some people who played that game act like Square threw a puppy into a wood chipper. I can name five moments off the top of my head from other Final Fantasies that moved me more than that. I thought that learning what REALLY happened in Nibelheim was a much cooler twist.
  • Doctor_Pancakes - February 23, 2014 8:44 a.m.

Me too 3 of them being from FFX alone Lol
  • sephex - February 22, 2014 7:55 a.m.

FFX looks better than it is. FF VI, VII and XII are the best with VIII and Tactics rounding up the top 5.
  • death4us - February 21, 2014 5:13 p.m.

Final fantasy mystic quest belongs with the top games even though it was on the snes
  • BladedFalcon - February 21, 2014 10:01 p.m.

... Final Fantasy VI is the number 1 spot and it's a SNES game, so your point confuses me somewhat ._.
  • Redeater - February 22, 2014 1:39 p.m.

You must be a blast at parties. :D
  • BladedFalcon - February 22, 2014 1:59 p.m.

Just like you must be as well, no doubt ;)
  • Redeater - February 22, 2014 3:39 p.m.

Why yes, yes I am! I actually owe it all to the advice I got from my grandfather on my 5th birthday. He said, "Redeater, you'll get along great with people as long as you don't walk up to others and feel the need to constantly correct them or question their opinion. Most people find it difficult to tolerate someone who is the answer to a question nobody asked, especially on the internet." Oddly specific now that I think about it since this was decades before most people would have even heard of the internet..... Come to think of it, how exactly did he know what my user name was going to be since I based it on a completely different event? I'm going to have to down a lot more Erdingers if I'm to come up with the answer to this mystery!
  • BladedFalcon - February 22, 2014 5:09 p.m.

Hey, yeah! That was so very specific of him to say,.. Goes to show he was a very knowledgeable, wise man *Nods* I don't suppose that among the nuggets of wisdom he imparted to you, he said anything along the lines of "Be ever vigilant about what you say, take special care of not contradicting your own words too, nobody likes an hypocrite. Oh, an if you're going to voice your opinion in a public place, saying things dripping with sarcasm toward other's opinions, or being self righteous is likely not the best way to get a good reaction from anyone." I dunno, it just feels like something he'd say, I think... But hey, I guess we can't all be lucky to have such wisdom imparted to us, and some of us do end up acting like assholes in the Internet. In that case then, I guess it might be better to just embrace it, and be honest with what you are, instead of pretending you aren't and yet still being a huge asshole anyway ;)
  • Redeater - February 22, 2014 8:49 p.m.

Everybody loves a good charismatic asshole. There are worse qualities to have. :D
  • BladedFalcon - February 22, 2014 9:09 p.m.

Can't argue with that, conceitedness being of one such kind ;)
  • SirNinja - February 21, 2014 4:49 p.m.

A bold choice, putting Tactics A2 up so high, though it's difficult to disagree. The story, while not as "epic" as Tactics or FFTA before it, was simple and light; it wasn't anything more than it needed to be. Gameplay-wise, it's excellent, and that's what really matters anyway. Good list!