• GarysLaptop - March 1, 2010 5:23 p.m.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS LIST 1000000% FF6=BEST STORY & BEST SOUNDTRACK If your asking "But why?" go play the game already. Or just re-read what they just said up there about it.
  • Xplosive59 - March 1, 2010 5:16 p.m.

completly agree with tthe top 2 but i think tactics shoud of been number 1 with vi second if you allowed spinoffs. great article GR
  • Amnesiac - March 1, 2010 4:54 p.m.

Seeing as how I'm a raging FFVI fanboy, your no. 1 pick pleases me greatly. And I couldn't agree more with FFV: one of the lamest stories in the series backed by some of the best gameplay. However, no FFVIII makes me a sad panda.
  • CrashmanX - March 1, 2010 4:53 p.m.

Granted I'm not a huge fan of the whole FF series (You can blame the FF7 fan-boys for that one) I did play through FF4 and FF8 and I loved FF4 the most. Hands down one of my favorite games of all time, and I usually hate Turn Based RPGs. Glad to see it make the #2 spot.
  • Teazey - March 1, 2010 4:52 p.m.

I disagree with this list a bit. Everyone has their own opinions, so here are mine. FFIX is the best Final Fantasy because of the story, the characters, and the gameplay. It is no wonder that the PS1 era days are the best in FF'S history. FFX is next because it introduced new features such as voiced characters. FFXII would be next on my list. I liked it despite it being different. I also think that while FFVII is a very good game, it is much overated. It is almost to a ridiculous level how much the game is praised. I did not leave this comment to pee anyone off. Thank you.
  • Embolado - March 1, 2010 4:38 p.m.

7, 9, & 10 are the only ones that I cared enough to beat multipule times.
  • garnsr - March 1, 2010 4:28 p.m.

I waited a long time for the first FF, and loved it, didn't care that much for 2 (IV,) loved 3 (VI,) then didn't think that much of VII or VIII, and haven't played another since. VI is definitely the best in my opinion.
  • RedOutlive10 - March 1, 2010 3:53 p.m.

Great article. I've played FF VI and then VII and seriously, I felt totally underwhelmed by VII's weak plot, music and everything. FFVI was justmore mature and all characters had personality to spare, plus no huge swords of the size of buses, that's totally lame.
  • Unoriginal - March 1, 2010 3:44 p.m.

Are you taking 13 into the equation in this article? (With your fancy advanced review copies)
  • Xtapolapopotamus - March 1, 2010 3:32 p.m.

Bah you said VII wasn't the best game ever you ruined my life, GR! YOU RUINED MY LIFE! That said, awesome to see VI take the number one spot that it so rightly deserves. Great game.
  • OnyxOblivion - March 1, 2010 3:28 p.m.

TDar is gonna be crazy this week.
  • solsurvivor - March 1, 2010 2:54 p.m.

FFVI's soundtrack is quite good, but I wouldn't put it up amongst the best all time. The opera scene is fairly overrated. Chrono Cross, Super Metroid, FFX--all feature better soundtracks, in my humble opinion.
  • Vagrant - March 1, 2010 2:32 p.m.

Since you've used pictures from the goddamn Compilation of FFVII, more specifically a godawful spin off movie - this article had failed before it was published. You might as well judge FFIV on the mobile phone games, or the plot of Dissidia. Instead of judging it for being a terrible dungeon crawler with a story that starts well and has good ideas but goes off-the-rails (and all the way to the moooooon) to an almost Fahrenheit extent. Pretty much all Final Fantasy outside of VII and VI (and if you can put up with it's horrible flaws and the SHAME of liking it; VIII) suck, anyway. It's always the week of hate for me, Gamesradar!
  • EnragedTortoise1 - March 1, 2010 1:27 p.m.

I put over 120 hours into 4... loved it.
  • Riska - March 1, 2010 1:16 p.m.

Before I even read the rest of this article, to add FFXII because "story and character" is the most rediculous reason I can think of. The game itself has a few things going for it but dull, lifeless characters with (mostly) little progression - bar 2-3 of them - are not among those things. Nor is a generic story encased in overly-convoluted plot devices that is neither interesting nor satisfying.
  • OnyxOblivion - March 1, 2010 12:40 p.m.

Aww...8 didn't even make it in. 8's my favorite my far. Screw 7 and 6. Although, 5 would have been an awesome surprise #1. The job system is just perfect.
  • allthegoodnameswheretaken - March 1, 2010 12:32 p.m.

i just hate final fantasy even though I've never even played any of them.
  • bamb0o-stick - March 1, 2010 12:25 p.m.

I hate myself for not playing these games during my childhood. FF7 was my first Final Fantasy game and might've been my first RPG ever. I have an issue with playing really old games, its hard to look past the really outdated graphics. Maybe someday I'll give FF6 a try.
  • superdude22 - March 1, 2010 12:22 p.m.

I do agree that FFVI was the best in the whole series. All the characters were awesome and the music was epic.
  • GR_DavidHoughton - March 1, 2010 11:37 a.m.

VI wins, so I don't have to murder any colleagues. This is good news. Not that my comments avatar implies any kind of raging fanboy bias at all...