Topics

Top 7

• Jimmyjammy - January 27, 2009 8:25 a.m.

Personally my favourite is Half-life 2's beginning. "Rise and shine Mr. Freeman, Rise and shine..." and then the train arrives and you're like where the fuck am I and what has happened to the earth?
  • Ravenbom - January 27, 2009 7:28 a.m.

I seem to have more memories of FPS's grabbing me straight from the start. Not my favorite viewpoint, but it does tend to lead to more immediate immersion. Maybe its just the shorter and sweeter tutorial levels. You look with one analog stick or mouse, move with the other. You fire your weapon with one button, reload it with another and open doors/press switches with another. Short and to the point. Lets us actually play the game instead of messing about with tutorial levels for 30 minutes before we ever get to start the game.
  • kanucksfan - January 27, 2009 5:53 a.m.

Bioshock's beginning is truly amazing. When you just start and don't know anything about the game, it just seems alright. But once you venture further into the awesomeness, you realize just how cinematic it is, in the sense of what the spoiler said. If you haven't played this game, go do so. Just don't play on easy, you'll beat it WAY too quick
  • schmeidenkamp - January 27, 2009 5:53 a.m.

i lolled @the pic of Raiden. haha, good article.
  • Sylizar - January 27, 2009 5:17 a.m.

What about Gears of War 1 or 2. I love how you start off in a prison (1) and a hospital (2). And instantly shit hits the fan and Locust are crawling up your ass, Corpsers explode out of the ground etc.
  • netlatnu - January 27, 2009 4:46 a.m.

The intro to FF8 was amazing at the time. I hope it was at least considered.
  • alexg223 - January 27, 2009 4:43 a.m.

"Because you received a lengthy and immersive tour of his office before the extraterrestrial shit hit the interdimensional fan..." Priceless!
  • Revanofsith - January 27, 2009 4:06 a.m.

Shoulda showed Devil May Cry 4 some love. No game before has, in the beginning, made me feel like a badass. And watching Dante and Nero, it was without a doubt, my favorite game intro. Even the singing goes well.
  • magicwalnuts0 - January 27, 2009 4:03 a.m.

I would contest the Bioshock one, but otherwise this is a good one. Although I don't know why you guys put MGS2 instead of MGS cause Metal Gear Solid's beginning was mega awesome.
  • bioshocker - January 27, 2009 4 a.m.

I agree with manbearpig (one of my favorite episodes) I played hl2 before hl1 but still it kept me in the game and I beat it in a couple days I feverishly await for episode 3. I can't agree more with your decision of fallout 3 on the list either. Is it just me or do most of these games have you start out as "just another guy"? reCAPTCHA: khaki day
  • game-thugsta - January 27, 2009 3:42 a.m.

I thought doom 3's somber intro before hell was quite the memorable one... or niko comin off the boat in gta, seeing what it's like to be an imigrant and such
  • nicksayswatzup - January 27, 2009 3:22 a.m.

kinda sad about no SSB but i understand :)
  • sourpunch - January 27, 2009 2:51 a.m.

My favorite opening is still final fantasy VIII. It sets up the storyline amazing.
  • ManBearPig - January 27, 2009 2:25 a.m.

Awesome list. Though I prefer Half-Life 2's intro much better. "Wake up and... Smell... The ashes..." Such a great opening monologue. Not to mention the initial of realizing how screwed up this world became in the time you've been gone. Still haven't played Bioshock yet (shame on me!) but that one's coming soon. But yeah, agree with everything on that list.
  • Gourdmaster - January 27, 2009 2:17 a.m.

This article is 100% correct. i believe in every single game on this list couldnt have written it better
  • revrock - January 27, 2009 2 a.m.

hows 'bout Final Fantasy 3? That long slow march and the soundtrack were pretty sweet.
  • bron1417 - January 27, 2009 1:48 a.m.

man bioshock,fallout 3 and MoH:Frontline are the best 3 in my mind i will never forget these beginnings truly epic.
  • sl33pythyme - January 27, 2009 1:41 a.m.

this has a great opening http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/67512
  • HEYpoleposition - January 27, 2009 1:38 a.m.

(srry for double post *embarrassed*)
  • SuperScuttles - January 27, 2009 1:34 a.m.

Great article Resistance 2 opening was sweet even though the rest felt so linear. Oh yeah. Theres a fly in the ointment. Shit has hit the fan. The lion will speak