We Recommend

• McSpermie - December 19, 2009 1:18 a.m.

thank god, I'm glad to see that someone put Batman as GOTY. Not to say no one else will, just that it's good that people out there still recognize amazing games.
  • njdevils09 - December 19, 2009 1:07 a.m.

Batman, in my opinion, was a poorly made, boring, unpolished, buggy mess. How it is being worshiped like this is beyond me. And yeah, I love Batman. But this game was atrocious.
  • Smiffy99 - December 19, 2009 12:51 a.m.

Nice one! Arkham Asylum was a beastly game by far, but I still think Modern Warfare 2 is my GOTY, for all the Campaign thrills, the Spec Ops skills, and the Multiplayer kills...or maybe because I am obsessed with all things military (Semper Fi, my friends). Don't get me wrong, I'm still in love with Arkham Asylum. P.S. Yes, I'm staying at level 70.
  • Sebastian16 - December 19, 2009 12:47 a.m.

I love you more than ever with the game of the year award going to a proper game. :)
  • John-117 - December 19, 2009 12:45 a.m.

I really wish we could edit comments so I could just add to to previous one's but: I think that you could also say that Tim Schafer's comedy is the feature that saved the mediocre gameplay of Brutal Legend. Atleast for me, the only reason I want to finish the game is to hear what the character's are going to say next while the thought of playing the game deters me. I'd also say the GOW collection should've been atleast the runner up for best re-touch of last generations games. I mean they were on the same disk, 720p support, 60FPS, and trophies for those who cared. For me, Batman is the combination of many games but didn't improve at all from what inspired it. The gadgets and stealth from MGS and Splinter Cell, the world of Bioshock, detective work from Condemned and the combat closely related to Assassin's Creed. I think Batman receives the praise it does because the surprise it was and the nostalgia of hearing Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy. It's definitely a solid game, I own it for a reason, but it never really raised the bar for video games in any significant aspects other than the expected quality of licensed/super hero games. Lastly, NPD only tracks NA sales for games. So while the Wii still beat both the PS3 and 360 worldwide, the PS3 outsold the 360 this year overall by a fair margin up until December, which hasn't finished. Overall, I side with the awards given, but as everyone knows the internet is all about opinion so I'm sure someone else will come along to disagree with those. :P
  • garnsr - December 19, 2009 12:43 a.m.

I think Batman was the most enjoyable game I played this year. I need to play through Uncharted 2 again, and not have to stop to kill bunches of guys for trophies, and see how it goes that way, but Batman really sucked me in.
  • RebornKusabi - December 19, 2009 12:34 a.m.

100-goddamn-PERCENT agree with Arkham Asylum being Game of the Year. I mentioned already that I love my PS3 but I honestly found Uncharted 2 to be waaay too sterile, calculated to the point of monotony and easily forgettable. I also cannot ****ing stand how everyone is calling it "the most cinematic video game ever; it's like a movie that you play; blah blah blah"... which is ironic since that is the EXACT reason people didn't like Metal Gear Solid 4 >_< In essence, I find Uncharted 2 to be highly over-rated and the only reason it did so well is that Sony hyped it to Hell and back. I understand that my opinion is gonna be... polarizing, to say the least but it is my opinion in the end lol Anywhoo, hurray for Arkham Asylum getting it's due it deserves to get while crap continues to get recognition ; )
  • Axcleblade - December 19, 2009 12:20 a.m.

I love how the reader's choice was the same as the official choice. I definitely found a few games here to pick up that I never heard of before now (Retro Game Challenge).
  • KHfan - December 19, 2009 12:17 a.m.

i think assassins creed 2 should of won something, that game sley all others in my opinion but i guess arkham asylam and uncharted 2 are good aswell =)
  • CH3BURASHKA - December 18, 2009 11:59 p.m.

Hee hee hee... anal...
  • iKOemos - December 18, 2009 11:47 p.m.

This site easily has the best End of year Game Awards. Most satisfying gore? No other site does that! Picking the game of the year must have been difficult with so many stellar titles being released this year, but I'm glad that the games that didn't win (even though Arkham was a good choice) still managed to take home a Platinum Chalice. May 2010 bring us even more groundbreaking games!
  • Metroidhunter32 - December 18, 2009 11:31 p.m.

Well you know what? By christmas Muramasa will have sold 100,001 copies in the US, because no way in hell am I missing out on that. Ps. Awsome recaptcha, "to Spud"
  • Samael - December 18, 2009 11:31 p.m.

I still can scarcely believe just how incredible Arkham Asylum is. It has become one of my top 10 favorite games of all time, knocking out the original Ratchet & Clank. Sorry Ratch, you're no match against the dark knight.
  • John-117 - December 18, 2009 11:07 p.m.

Oh, and Demon's Souls sometimes makes me want to rip my eyes out of my sockets and swallow them whole. Of course, if it wasn't from the way the internet, my previous comment was IMO, of course :P
  • John-117 - December 18, 2009 11:02 p.m.

Thank god Uncharted 2 already won G4TV's and the VGA GOTY because it got robbed here. Other than that almost every other choice was spot on. Arkham was good, Uncharted was amazing.
  • JustTheBoBreaker - December 18, 2009 10:57 p.m.

Best website about video games that doesn't put you to sleep: and the award goes to GamesRadar Please allow Paul Ryan to accept the award
  • lilyeister - December 18, 2009 10:52 p.m.

agree 100%, great picks and articles. i expected okami to somehow get a trophy though, extremely suprised.
  • nadrewod999 - December 18, 2009 10:35 p.m.

@GR, Great picks. I completely agree on everything (P.S. Tim Schafer, creator of Brutal Legend, has already stated that he wants to make another game that takes place in the land of Brutal Legend, so your wish is coming true) @zanthox, FREAKING READ AN ARTICLE BEFORE YOU COMMENT! Dragon Age might not have been the winner on anything, but it IS the runner-up in several categories. If I see you do something like this again, I will report your comment.
  • Tomsta666 - December 18, 2009 10:26 p.m.

I really should play Arkham Asylum.
  • breener96 - December 18, 2009 10:15 p.m.

The video with all the voice actors was fantastic! The whole article was fantastic! Oh, and Arkham Asylum is my GOTY aswell!