• texasgoldrush - January 7, 2011 12:57 a.m.

@GamesRadarCharlieBarratt The story is really Trip's. She is the lynchpin character. She drives the entire plot of the game, Monkey just tags along. Yes, he develops as a character, but so does Trip. Sometimes, your protagonist isn't the character that drives the story. Really what leads to Trip killing Pyramid is that she realizes, even with the best intentions (her survival and hitting back at the slavers), enslaving Monkey was wrong. Not only did she not let Pyramid enslave people with "good intentions", she did what she said she was going to do, kill the one responsible for attacking her home. Pyramid's schemes were not really important past the "good intentions" part. The ending is not so much about Pyramid's motives as much as it is about Trip's reaction to them. Trip and Monkey's relationship is far from romantic (even when Pigsy thinks it is). In fact, Monkey says that he wouldn't "hit on a girl thats just lost her father". Its more of Monkey's development of his humanity, not any sort of romantic love, that leads him to support Trip emotionally. Its very uncliched for a videogame to have a relationship like the one Monkey and Trip had. Its very subtle.
  • ZukotaIsoba - January 7, 2011 12:18 a.m.

@8bitBaby, Pruman, and everyone else who hated Samus' characterization in Other M: The version of Samus portrayed in OM was based more or less exactly off of the Metroid manga released in Japan. I read it on a manga scan site, and the issues you all listed (her paralyzing fear of Ridley, her more girly behavior, her submitting to the will of her former superior/love interest) are all depicted in that manga. She corrects those issues by the end of the manga, and I would assume the same is true for the game. Treat this as an origin story, this is how she became the bad@$$ she was in earlier installments.
  • DreamWeaverPL - January 6, 2011 11:39 p.m.

"Unwanted Nudity" category makes GR staff look like a bunch of kindergarten sissies. So what, you saw two naked guys covered in blood from dozens of cut wounds. Oooh, that must've been bad, go cry to mommy. And it really pains me to repeat two things - the original Dante was the gay and emo one, not new, also I think that 8 is too high for Reach, lol.
  • Mamudo - January 6, 2011 10:43 p.m.

Shuma and Jill aren't day one DLC unless you get the collectors edition of Marvel3...
  • FauxFurry - January 6, 2011 10:23 p.m.

@KaiokenKid-Perhaps it is cool,but not ideally functional for a menu screen,that is, when it even properly functions. Lionhead has yet to work out the bug that not only silences Jasper but disables instant travel between chambers using the D-Pad.
  • TheHolyHandGrenade - January 6, 2011 9:34 p.m.

Been waiting for this since Christmas. THANKS GR!
  • humpiedumpie - January 6, 2011 9:20 p.m.

As always, great great article guys :)
  • KaiokenKid - January 6, 2011 8:44 p.m.

Am I seriously the only one that thought that Sanctuarey thing in Fable 3 was cool?
  • rickrossthaboss - January 6, 2011 7:28 p.m.

yea dude, that 8 out of 10 for Reach was crap. I think it's cause Charlie is probably terrible at halo.
  • Pruman - January 6, 2011 6:38 p.m.

Other M was probably my biggest disappointment of the year. I am a massive Metroid fanboy, and the hype had me convinced that it would be amazing. Then the mediocre to bad reviews started pouring out...but I held fast to my faith, and bought the game anyway. I really didn't mind the controls, but the "simulated enivironments in space" setting cribbed from Fusion, along with the awful, awful characterization of Samus, totally ruined it for me. I ended up trading it in shortly after I beat it. One thing that should have been mentioned: the horrific camera in Epic Mickey. I am playing enjoying it, but the camera is like something out of the Mario 64 days.
  • GamesRadarCharlieBarratt - January 6, 2011 6:06 p.m.

@texasgoldrush I'm sorry, but I disagree with you. Monkey is just as much of a "true main" character as Trip... perhaps more so, since he's the one with the clearest, most satisfying character arc. "Never romantic"? You and I were not watching the same cutscenes. And if you believe that "Pyramid's motives were never that important," then you should agree with me that the twist ending - which is ALL about Pyramid's motives - is jarring.
  • Aletheon - January 6, 2011 5:28 p.m.

Worst moment of the year: THIS ARTICLE.
  • cem_ulutash - January 6, 2011 5:12 p.m.

I beg you to read this post. DMC is being critisized not only based on the trailer but based on a lot of other things, just read the post to get a better understanding :/ http://www.capcom-unity.com/devil_may_cry/go/thread/view/7401/26122569/Read_Before_Posting:_Fans_Arguments_Against_DmC
  • HereComesTheHypeTrainCHOOCHOO - January 6, 2011 2:44 p.m.

@stogsijena: Gamesradar has a spoiler quota to meet. They hadn't spoiled a relatively recent game yet today so it had to be done. Gamesradar, ruining game endings for years. "Failing to fix obvious flaws so crucial to a specific experience is not only conflicting for reviewers like us, who have to weigh such oversights in their final appraisals" How is this conflicting for reviewers? If a game is buggy or locks ups on you during your review process then mention it and reflect that basic lack of effort in your final score. Unless you are scared of a potential backlack from the publisher and if that is the case then you are in the wrong line of work. You have a responsibility to your readers, not the publishers.
  • stogsijena - January 6, 2011 2:37 p.m.

There should be a spoiler alert here... I'm playing Heavy Rain right now and you just ruined it for me. Thank you.
  • philipshaw - January 6, 2011 1:03 p.m.

I always enjoy these more than the actually game of the year awards, I think the cast of Halo:Reach wasn't too bad compared to COD:Black Ops
  • sugaplz - January 6, 2011 12:56 p.m.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU LOL 2+2 4TW
  • RicePuddingUK - January 6, 2011 12:50 p.m.

I agree with the "Who are you again" awards. Halo has never had accents, everyone is American (Strange for a Universal government hmm?), then suddenly there's Spartans everywhere and they all have cheap accents with no explanation to why? But Call Of Duty is worse, I couldn't care about any of the characters, Black Ops was a complete mess at least with Modern Warfare you can distinguish characters, American? British? Russian? Soap with his Scottish accent, Price and Ghost with their regional English accents? The unmistakable voice of Keith David as an American?
  • FauxFurry - January 6, 2011 11 a.m.

I'd say that Dead or Alive Paradise should have bagged that Anti-Game of the Year trophy if it isn't the contender for anti-game of the decade (depending on if one counts 2010 as part of the first or second decade of the 21st Century). It stands in place of a gaming series for which eye-candy (or beefcake) was the dessert while the silky smooth gameplay was the main course,using resources and man power better spent on continuing the DOA series proper or one of Tecmo's other superior series. If Tecmo loses its place in the current market,it will have nothing but itself to blame. Considering how casual depictions of simulated female flesh is on course to becoming as commonplace as that of your average artficial androgen augmented polygonal pectorals(though you can't count on any female version of Conan the Adventurer or a Breastfeeding Mama game),what little niche appeal the DOA Paradise series has will be lost due to desensitization and a lack of the kind of artificial scarcity of the female form that has been so good to peddlers of mild erotica over the years. The DOA series looks as if it will be joining those romance novels with little to offer but a generic shirtless hunk on the cover and failed soap opera DVDs in the bargain bins or thrift stores around the world and its all thanks to a ploy to gain easy money presumably based upon questionable comedy routines about how little it takes to part hormone addled fools from their money.
  • jamesMay - January 6, 2011 10:29 a.m.

reading the entire article (I was only linked to the DMC comment) I understand now. You suck at these kind of games. That's why you prefer the NT hand holding approach. Even on my first play through, i dont think i got more than 3 stone statues in bayo. If you keep getting them, you must be really really bad at the game. God forbid a game actually has a element of challenge.