• winner2 - December 14, 2011 3:51 a.m.

Still cannot take his game seriously, when Raiden is running at super speed on the damn ceiling with electricity flying from his boots spouting crap like "you shouldn't have brought a tool to a sword fight" as apposed to his no nonsense ass kicking self in mgs4. The reason he was made so cool is because he's still somewhat human in the aspect that he is not doing stuff so impossible he looks like he's got super powers or something, while still taking out multiple robots and having actual human speed fights that reflect more skill and awesomeness than suddenly being able to run around a moving train on the walls. And seriously, when he spouted the above mentioned line, I did an involuntary face-palm.
  • avantguardian - December 14, 2011 12:11 a.m.

david's gettin' mad....i like it.
  • IceBlueKirby - December 13, 2011 10:21 p.m.

I absolutely love Dave's articles, and love reading the comments from the people who take them way too seriously. That said, I'm actually more excited for Rising now that it's being handled by Platinum than I was when Kojima Productions was making it. Anyone who isn't obviously has never played a Platinum game.
  • rob619 - December 14, 2011 4:26 a.m.

Agree great article by Dave. He seems to be serious about putting his points across and all seem to be vaild by me! Yes I would like a more serious game, as being a massive Metal Gear fan (by display pic says it all) all games in the saga are rather slow paced and serious thinking games. However this does look super cool and fun. Seriously Raidan would suck in a role played by Solid Snake for example he is a fast paced character anyways, he is a ninja for gods sake! So yes the trailer seems to show of this aspect. I will purchase this title anyways :)
  • pin316 - December 13, 2011 9:53 p.m.

Mr Houghton, 100% brilliance...when i first read the title I was expecting something good, but nowhere near as good as it actually turned out to be. Congratulations on comprehensively demonstrating why so much of the negative talk that has surrounded the announced developments of this game is nothing more than sheer dumbassery. I simply can't wait for this game, and right now it's probably my most aniticipated game currently in development.
  • psycho ninja 4 - December 13, 2011 9:18 p.m.

As i've already said i've never played a Metal Gear game so i don't know what all the fan boy are complaining about. This game looks like it's going to be awesome.
  • quincytheodore - December 13, 2011 8:46 p.m.

I might just give this a chance just because Platinum. But you have to ask yourself, before this trailer came out or perhaps years ago, what would you say if someone came to you and said, "Metal Gear is gonna be like Bayonetta!" This is Silent Bomber to Metal Gear Solid (on PSX). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLHPVxGJ66M You'll see what I meant...
  • taterboob - December 13, 2011 7 p.m.

A pretty interesting message to send your readers "you're an idiot, and you should go fuck youself if you don't share my opinion". That's better than a comment thread post how? Oh, and as a fan of Resident Evil from the beginning, 4 did screw everything up.
  • BladedFalcon - December 14, 2011 8:47 p.m.

The thing is that a LOT of what he states aren't opinions, they are facts. people lashed at first because they said platinum took over and killed the original concept, they didn't, they saved a dead, canceled project, that's not an opinion, it's a fact. People whined that this wasn't stealth based at all and didn't have anything to do with MGS. Even from the first Rising trailer, the game was clearly focused to be a slashing action game and NOT a stealth game, at least not primarily. And it always meant to be focused on Raiden and probably not very related to snake or other MGS elements to begin with. Again, that's a fact, not an opinion. A lot moaned that it was too ridiculous and over the top for MGS standards, the video shown from MGS4 up there alone is a fact denying those claims straight up. So there, your post is incorrect, and whine to me all you want, but that's also not an opinion; it's a fact.
  • taterboob - December 15, 2011 7:46 p.m.

"So there, your post is incorrect, and whine to me all you want, but that's also not an opinion; it's a fact." I almost had an aneurysm reading this. I have no problem with the game itself. There's some story-related stuff that I have an issue with, but other than that I'm pretty much looking forward to this. My comment was in relation to the douchey arrogance in his writing (and, I suppose, in yours as well). There's been convincing arguments made by people who don't like the direction this game is going, but people like Mr. Houghton just hand wave it away by saying "you're just a delusional idiot, stop whining". People are allowed to not like this, and that is also a fact.
  • BladedFalcon - December 16, 2011 10:53 a.m.

Yep, I don't disagree there, you're free to dislike any approach of the game you want. And i don't think Dave is against that either. What him,and also myself get irritated at, it's the accusations, or excuses thrown at the game to justify their dislike. One thing is for a person to say "I just simply don't like actions games like that" and another thing entirely is to say "OMG! they ruined MGS because they turned it into a hack'n slash and it looks so over the top and ridiculous and the game is now ruined forever!" Those kinds of reactions are the ones that are being addressed in this article. As for the arrogant tone... Well, I don't debate taht, and i probably sounded like a douche. But again, I was trying to drive the point that what the writer was pointing out weren't just his personal opinions.
  • ThePrivateer - December 13, 2011 6:20 p.m.

Another fucking "my opinion is right, you are stupid" piece from Dave. Although I agree with him for once.
  • shyamapyjama - December 13, 2011 5:14 p.m.

I think this article is absolute delusional whining... It's just been written so all the fanboys change there minds, but its good to have an opinion about these things as most people have grown up with the metal gear solid saga; but this change is completely random, personally I'm not impressed by the game and it's another game ill be missing out on, for the simple fact that its not going to be any good, it does not look impressive, and ill be honest most games this generation have been absolute rubbish, or just carbon copys, so far I've only got 15 games really didnt bother, if I need a game I just go blockbuster and buy after a month and it would have dropped to 15 pounds, any how, the tech demo I first saw was impressive and it was cool, yeah so what if it was cutting melons, it was the accuracy of the blade which made me so curious, imagine actually doing that, cutting up people and all sorts of things with that accuracy it would be mind blowing, as you would never cut in the same place twice, but now I might as well buy the new DMC because that is looking more interesting than this... the trailer did look alright, but its not growing on me, Ill just end up watching all the cutscenes on youtube, and it just looks like vanquish bayonetta but with a cyborg, even with all the humans now being cyborgs as well its not looking too good or any emotinal connection as theres the relization that its not living cut the hell out of it, also raiden really did grow on me, but the last line "I think it's time for Jack to let it rip" is not the raiden that I know, when I first saw him sacrifice his life for snake buy stopping that tanker, and seeing those flashbacks was a beautiful and emotional moment seeing his flashbacks, but this is just not right
  • StoneDreadnaught - December 13, 2011 10:55 p.m.

*offers sense of humor as Xmas gift*. True, this is his opinion, but that doesn't make his points any less true. You should probably play MGS4 again to remind yourself of all the other utterly crazy shit Raiden does (ANY of the Vamp fight scenes) BESIDES stopping that tanker and the no-armed fight, and realize he's very fun to watch go nuts, like he was in the trailer. But you could control it all. And Red Steel 2 already had the sword accuracy before MGS:R, just an F.Y.I.
  • MeanwhileGuy - December 14, 2011 1 a.m.

I completely agree with you, this "artical", if you can call it that, was pure nonsense. And completely wrong. Saying that Platinum make the best action games is complete b******t, it entirely depends on subjective opinion, and I for one thought Bayonetta played like crap and had needlessly confusing and dodgy combat, and Vanquish was simply a generic third person shooter with bullet time. And as for Platinum apparently making "sharper, deeper, more nuanced, more intelligent, pure action games this generation." I say two words: Naughty Dog. Also, the whole point about gamers being protective is utter crap, yes, we're protective of certain games because we've grown to love them and don't want to see them butchered by guys who aren't even part of the original development team. Case in point: the upcoming (and entirely UN-necessary) DMC reboot. Yes, the gameplay looks vaguely interesting in that game, but it's simply not a DMC game, which is why the fans are up in arms about it. How exactly was DMC 4 "stale"? It looked and played great to me, and is my favourite in the series behind DMC 3. I'm sorry Dave, but this article was exactly the opposite of what you were preaching: it was an exceedingly whiny attack on fans of the series who have very legitimate concerns about this game. In fact, I would rather have had it cancelled than turned into an OTT slashfest that makes no sense within the world of Metal Gear. I mean, Raiden throws a Metal Gear Ray fer chrissakes. In future I suggest you don't write any more articles like this, in case you make as big an idiot out of yourself as you have on this one.
  • DKmanden999 - December 13, 2011 2:48 p.m.

The major issue with the trailer is that it gets too cheesy when Raiden starts wallrunning and slashing up soldiers while they stay intact, and then suddenly they get sliced somehow - doesnt make sense, and breaks the immersion.
  • n00b - December 13, 2011 2:17 p.m.

i agree on all points except Ninja Theory taking over DMC they have yet to prove themselves to me.
  • Claymore65 - December 13, 2011 2:14 p.m.

While I am not a fan of the "Revengance" title, Platinum has a fantastic track record of action games. I love Metal Gear Solid and Hideo Kojima's work on it, but he simply has much less expereince with an action game. I see the game as a side game, not a true part of the seires, so it will be fitting. Plus, I completely want to throw METAL GEAR RAY (or at least what looked like it) at an enemy.
  • gilgamesh310 - December 13, 2011 2:04 p.m.

@Fullmetallegend, that is a valid complaint. It's something that annoys me with a lot of games in the hack and slash genre. Dante's Inferno more than any other, but I suppose it's something that just needs to happen in order for te game to remain challenging. If all enemies died after only being swiped one, it wouldn't be a very challenging game.
  • inkyspot - December 13, 2011 1:44 p.m.

I am no fanboy of anything (Just to clear that up). I don't care who develops the game as long as they make a wicked product exploring the character's full potential. I was pissed off that this tech demo was shown as a game and then no word as to if it was cancelled or not, when clearly people was asking about it. I am glad to see it's being picked up by someone and I hope they do it justice. I also support the New Devil May Cry by Ninja Theory. I also enjoyed Vanquish (Which I own).