• Elix - January 3, 2013 2:58 p.m.

Remember when Nintendo got too big for its britches? Yeah...
  • Zeedar - January 3, 2013 2:50 p.m.

Another reason for me to sick to the PC and digital distribution.
  • dcobs123 - January 3, 2013 2:20 p.m.

So basically if we want to buy old or discontinued games then we're screwed. Honestly, That makes pc drm sound pretty appealing. PS4 better have some damn good exclusives.
  • ZuzuPachulia - January 3, 2013 1:34 p.m.

But then I can't even let anyone borrow these games...
  • Bob_Caulk - January 3, 2013 1:26 p.m.

Thinking about this, this might not be a completely terrible idea for a couple reasons. For one, if 100% of sales were new, then the developer would be making more money, therefore this could drive down the cost of new games. People have been complaining about the $60 cost of new games for a while, so this could be a solution. Also, next gen games are going to be extremely expensive to develop, so if spending a few extra bucks to buy a new copy as opposed to used helps support the developer, then I'm all for it. I like the idea of investing into the future of gaming. And besides, do we really want another THQ on our hands...
  • iluvpkmnmonday - January 3, 2013 1:37 p.m.

Games have been around that price for a while now and I don't see it going anywhere but up. N64 games were around if I remember correctly and that was 10-15 years ago.
  • Tjwoods18 - January 3, 2013 3:25 p.m.

Mandating a NFC chip in every disk would surpass the 60 dollar price range. As it is cost, develop, and distribution run it up to 59.99. Either way big corporations win and low paid workers who play video games lose.
  • ParagonT - January 3, 2013 5:05 p.m.

I seriously doubt they're going to cut their consumers a break once they have you by your balls with their 400+ console. Why would they? You already bought their system. Once you buy a system with these shady tactics, it's pretty much 'game over' and a snowball effect takes place.
  • brickman409 - January 3, 2013 7:43 p.m.

I doubt it, new prices would most likely go up. The only reason games haven't gone up from $60 is because publishers fear that a large part of the market could stop buying new and start buying used or even pirating. If anything this DRM would make new prices go up, because the average consumer would no longer have a choice and publishers could easily take advantage of that.
  • FoxdenRacing - January 4, 2013 9:48 a.m.

Your take is good intentions...but this scheme is going to have some awful repercussions. How many people see a game for $10 and say "I don't know if I'll like it, but for that price why not? ... ... Hey, that was fun. When's the next one coming out?". Now, how many people do that at $60? How many people talk to their friends, and the conversation ends with "Here, try it; I won't miss it from my bookshelf", before having the same "That was good...I'll get my own copy so I can finish it" reaction? Eliminating second-hand, rental, and etc for games also eliminates second-hand advertising, it eliminates the ripple effect. Locking out potential customers today shrinks your playerbase tomorrow, and will cause more trouble down the line than it solves. THQ's in the position they are because they took very customer-unfriendly stances while simultaneously expecting to be seemingly immune to repercussions the way the bigger boys [namely EA and Acti, neither of which is particularly healthy either] appeared at the time. It will also put a stop to 'retail renters'...but not in the beneficial way Sony expects. These are the people that only buy new games because they can 'borrow' them long enough to finish them for $10-$15. They aren't going to buy anyway, they'll instead spend their money on something else. Sony's really trying to cut off their face to spite their nose on this one [yes, that was intentional]...
  • wampastompa - January 3, 2013 1:08 p.m.

If this is the direction that next-gen consoles want to go, I will happily keep my current-gen 360 and continue to fill my library with second-hand games. Seems like a massive misstep for any of these companies to try and pull this.
  • lordbhaal9 - January 3, 2013 1:04 p.m.

WTF!? if this system is inplemented by sony i really would prefer paying my xbox live account that buying another sony console a lot of my ps3 games are second hand except for a few day 1 purchases
  • ParagonT - January 3, 2013 12:45 p.m.

If implemented, this narrows down my next choice of consoles, but at the rate things are looking, I'm thinking about going full dive into PC gaming and will be convincing my mates to do the same.
  • avantguardian - January 3, 2013 5:12 p.m.

i wouldn't expect you of all people on here to be so absolute. pc gaming is great. but ONLY pc gaming?
  • ParagonT - January 4, 2013 5:43 p.m.

Wait..What?
  • Omrikon - January 3, 2013 12:43 p.m.

As far as used-game prevention goes this is pretty ineffectual, and sadly about par for the course for Sony since PS3 and PSP began. Since it's built into the game case, what's to stop me from just removing the disc from the case and ditching the case? Nothing as far as I can tell. My bet is enforced game registration, by way of restricting or otherwise gimping standard levels of play when you don't have a PSN account registered to the game.
  • The Mad Prophet - January 3, 2013 1:30 p.m.

It's not built into the game CASE, it's built into the game DISC. The first time the disc is used (presumably after being bought new), the chip in the disc marks it as such, linking it to the first account that used it. So i'd say this would be very effective in used-game prevention, should Sony be stupid enough to implement it.
  • iluvpkmnmonday - January 3, 2013 12:22 p.m.

If I can't buy used games or even take my games over to a friend's house to play I will be far less interested in buying a PS4.
  • Unoriginal - January 3, 2013 12:12 p.m.

If this eliminates the need for me to register online passes and download and install the 0.01 kb online patches I'm all for this. If this makes it impossible for me to lend my games to my mates I think this is horrible.