We Recommend

• cyclone306 - October 8, 2010 4:37 a.m.

amazing article...fascinating. Great work man.
  • Jacko415 - October 8, 2010 4:28 a.m.

MAAAN sniping in BF:BC2 is so damn satisfying. p.s. the orange and green sniper in the second to last picture looks like a giant weed nug.
  • keefster - October 8, 2010 4:22 a.m.

Very well done article!! Loved it :P i hate snipers in battlefield.. but this was very interesting to a history buff such as myself. thanks gr.
  • Spybreak8 - October 8, 2010 4:16 a.m.

Good article, wonder if it came about after the news of the British soldier who sniped two insurgents a-mile-and-a-half away. Also the military is researching bullets and sniper rifles that will adjust to difficult conditions! I made a post on the forums I freq visit: http://www.gloryofwar.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27036
  • spideralex90 - October 8, 2010 4:07 a.m.

Sniper scene in Saving Private Ryan = Totally Badass.
  • Gavo - October 8, 2010 3:49 a.m.

Great article, super in-depht. "Though with current shooter mechanics, which encourage most players to stay on the run, scoring a kill with more realistic sniping physics may be near-impossible.' So true. Has anyone here played Project Reality? Getting a sniper kill in that game, over a long distance, is amazingly hard to do.
  • NightCrawler_358 - October 8, 2010 3:21 a.m.

nice article! their not crazed gunmen! the difference being ones a mental sickness and the other's a job! (TF2...)
  • BlackElement17 - October 8, 2010 3:02 a.m.

Fuck yea snipers ru-
  • mahabat - October 8, 2010 2:45 a.m.

sniping is well in good in games like COD, but you have to admit, in halo, powering through an enemy team and then destroying their tank and jumping to safety at the last minute is so much better then sniping one person
  • kiwicrossing - October 8, 2010 2:41 a.m.

Oh Snap! I learned something. Great article, I love sniping in BF:BC2 because it actually takes some semblance of skill.
  • AshesOfTheWake - October 8, 2010 2:31 a.m.

I love sniping in video games, but i hate this thing that Call of Duty started called "quick scoping". Apparently you're a noob sniper if you have to use the gun the way it's mean to be used and actually zoom in to kill your target. You have to unrealistically quickly look in and shoot. I understand it's a game, but if someone uses a sniper properly and zooms in (called "hard scoping") it shouldn't instigate a dozen players swearing at you for sucking. I hate it. This is also a reason why I appreciate Battlefield Bad Company 2; because looking in to snipe is what every player does.
  • foxyexplosion - October 8, 2010 2:16 a.m.

I know its about guns and video games but it still looks to me like a school report, not in quality just in overall design. I bet it felt like that to write at least, what with requiring at least three second hand sources and the credit given for the pictures. Its still a great article though since knowledge is power
  • avantguardian - October 8, 2010 1:40 a.m.

"badass" and "sniper" should never be used in the same sentence... yes! please go cower in the corner while the rest of your team picks up the slack! snipers = useless ballbags
  • BoondockSaint54 - October 8, 2010 1:17 a.m.

Nice article, Tyler. For anyone else that's interested in sniping, the History Channel always has some good shows on about the history of sniping and other famous snipers. Oh and Tyler, I would recommend going to a gun range and trying it out. A lot of ranges will rent guns out and a you can pick up a box of ammo at Wal-Mart pretty cheap. I'd go with a .308. Hell, even shooting a .22LR through a scope is fun but .308 packs a punch. I used to have a Savage .308 and I loved it but it got too expensive to shot so I never shot it and sold it. Poor me. :(
  • Turboash - October 8, 2010 12:58 a.m.

I mobile snipe with the Barrett in MW2 probably 80% of the time (map permitting). Fun, fun, fun! And by the way, I don't quick scope or run around like a douche with dual Rangers... F those guys.
  • CocainCuresAll - October 8, 2010 12:40 a.m.

Did you seriously just say the american civil war was in the 1700's?
  • Crabhand - October 8, 2010 12:35 a.m.

I enjoy sniping as well, and I prefer to snipe my opponents while being perfectly hidden. It's pretty easy to do in Modern Warfare 2, but Halo is a whole other monster with nothing more than a crouch to conceal your position and a designated team color. And has anyone else seen the History Channel's special on snipers? That shit is fascinating.
  • Bonesqaw - October 8, 2010 12:21 a.m.

This was a surprizingly well-written article. Combined with his fantastically-run Talkradar, Tyler could easily take over the site. I love sniping, even if I'm only passable to good. It's just satisfying to kill your enemy with one shot from so far away, as there's something thrilling about lining up your shot, getting that head in the crosshair. I'd say BF 1942 has the most satisfying sniping, if only for the large maps (especially Iwo Jima) being perfect for it. The only time I'm annoyed by sniping is when the style of play I want to use is prevented by my having to evade and counter snipers
  • Doctalen - October 8, 2010 12:15 a.m.

You have forgotten another reason sniping became used. In the Colonial Period (1500s-1700s) Europe often fought for controls of the seas. Mostly they used their Navies, in which the ship's best sharpshooter would stay atop of the crow's nest and take pot shots at the enemy commander. As the naval battles grew infrequent as time went on, those sailors lost their jobs, turned to piracy in which they used their skills. Eventually those pirates along with the marksmen you referred to evolved into the modern day sniper.
  • grandinquisitor - October 8, 2010 midnight

well, the sniping in MOH is ridiculously overpowered: it's simple point and click stuff, the rifle goes from your hip to scoped in in a nanosecond and the rifles are effective from close up.