Topics

Comic-Con

• protospasm - August 12, 2010 8:38 a.m.

I meant to say "Double Dragon theme" music for the boss fight... but I don't type so well.
  • protospasm - August 12, 2010 8:37 a.m.

Vol. 5, #5 is close. While the Double Hurricane Kick does indeed herald back to the Double Dragon series, this reference in particular is yet another River City Ransom reference. The twins that kidnapped Cindi (from whom you hear from Roxy at the bridge cut-scence) talks about the clowns Randy and Andy who're working for Simon. Alex and Ryan ought to take them seriously, blah-blah-blah. Anyways, the fight scene before the rooftop battle with Simon is the double boss fight with the twins, Randy and Andy. The music is most definitely the Double Dragon team. And if one is goofing off and not pummeling them Grand Slam style with a trashcan, they can team up and execute the Double Hurricane Kick.
  • BlackElement17 - August 12, 2010 8:09 a.m.

The Sonic 2 title screen reference evokes unsettling imagery.
  • Valntyne - August 12, 2010 7:59 a.m.

Hmmm, I always thought that Scott's last sword looked like the one from Bleach.
  • Ganonpork - August 12, 2010 7:55 a.m.

XD good article, ima watch the shit outta this movie
  • meridious - August 12, 2010 6:04 a.m.

i thought the triangles looked like the one link had on his hand in zelda and the twilight princess
  • garnsr - August 12, 2010 4:54 a.m.

I was wondering if anyone would actually bite on the Layton bit, and someone has. I haven't read any of the books, but I've played through most of the game, and it was interesting to see some explanations here. I'd like an article that's more focused on stuff that's in the game, maybe there wouldn't be much that was different, but it'd be easier to navigate for those just playing the game and looking for clues.
  • AlpineGuy - August 12, 2010 4:53 a.m.

Man, the article IGN did on this absolutely pales by comparison. As per usual, Mikel, you put an extreme amount of work into this with awesome results!
  • CaptCOMMANDO - August 12, 2010 4:41 a.m.

I really enjoyed this article. But i dont know why Mikel had to be an asshole the whole time.
  • Smeggs - August 12, 2010 3:24 a.m.

I call bullshit. Out of all of the references they never once make a joke of "It's dangerous to go alone, take this!" or "DUN-DUN-DUN-DUUUUUH!"? Really? Not once? They have a forest scene that may or may not have been Zelda based and one volume titles after one of the games but they don't use even one of the two most recognizable things from it?
  • Amaster - August 12, 2010 3:23 a.m.

The video game in Vol. 2 is Sandopolis Zone from Sonic and Knuckles. Once I recognized the brick pattern in the slope, the rest is obvious.
  • whiteknight1981 - August 12, 2010 2:58 a.m.

Wow, not one hissy fitting nerd with no sense of humor whining that the tee shirt reference was the TriForce (otherwise known as Brett's Dick and Balls) and not the Professor Layton stated in the article? Allow me to nerdify the comments!!!!! Hurray for anal douche baggery!
  • br1zzo - August 12, 2010 2:07 a.m.

Amazing.
  • CountFenring - August 12, 2010 2 a.m.

BIAS. There was only one PS3 exclusive IP referenced. BOYCOTT. ;D
  • Limbo - August 12, 2010 1:59 a.m.

This article has officially convinced me to read Scott Pilgrim. And see that movie. ........my recaptcha had an exponent. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO TYPE THIS!!!
  • RebornKusabi - August 12, 2010 1:57 a.m.

I'm skimming through most of this just in case the movie has a lot of it in which judging from the trailer, it does, but really indepth from what I see! Perfect!
  • TizzleSniper - August 12, 2010 1:52 a.m.

@ridgley possibly, Selphie's dress had straps though. and she didn't have a hair band. but either way it does look very similar.
  • juicenpancakes - August 12, 2010 1:50 a.m.

Jesus. Mikel you seem to put more time and effort into your features than I would ever dream to put into my work. Well done. I'm only in Volume 4, but I clicked on page 5 and 6 because I was just too damn curious.
  • 510BrotherPanda - August 12, 2010 1:42 a.m.

Poor Zangief. He's my fave SF character, and he got turned into a comfy chair.
  • Robusken - August 12, 2010 1:41 a.m.

Man this must have been a ton of work. The one obvious one I was missing the whole time was the name Chaos Theater. Argh its killing me that I have to wait about two weeks for the xbla version of the game.