• Loleus - August 24, 2012 2:50 p.m.

Well, if they're going to offer certain GC downloads, then they'd better put Tales of Symphonia on that list.
  • IceBlueKirby - July 21, 2011 8:12 p.m.

I've been using my Wii to play GCN games and will continue to do so, but this is good for those people who might have skipped the GCN, sold theirs, or whatever. There's some great games for the little purple box that could (although mine was the little jet black box that could...it had platinum envy though) and to keep their memory alive for future generations is a sure way for Nintendo to not only keep their existing fans but draw in new ones who may not have played games until the current generation.
  • codystovall - July 21, 2011 5:41 p.m.

Dont like this one bit, reselling older games again and again and again.....nintendo has become hollywood.
  • reuben0110 - July 21, 2011 5:34 p.m.

I don't see why people are upset about it not playing gamecube games, it's like expecting the Wii to play N64 games.
  • jodywwe@yahoo.com - November 13, 2012 1:25 p.m.

ya people dont realize it like pc games after 2 or so new windows come out games r considered too slow for the new hardware
  • metroid2099400 - July 21, 2011 2:49 p.m.

Eh, I've still got my Gamecube from before the Wii came out, so I can just use that. I'd really like some sort of transfer system, where the Wii U reads which GC discs you have and automatically downloads them, but I have a feeling that Nintendo is too tight-fisted to do anything of the sort.
  • db1331 - July 21, 2011 1:38 p.m.

Wow, what a dick move. I know it's not THAT simple, but it stands to reason that if a Wii is GC compatible, and the Wii U is Wii compatible, shouldn't it inherently be GC compatible as well? They probably had to take something OUT to remove GC functionality, rather than put something in to enable it. Step 1: Make the Wii U incompatible with GC games Step 2: Sell digital copies of the same GC games for the Wii U Step 3: Problem? In the last year I have played MGS: Twin Snakes, Wind Waker, Eternal Darkness, and the RE Remake. I won't be getting the Wii U though, so it doesn't matter to me really.
  • ReasonableFanboy - July 21, 2011 1:23 p.m.

So will games available for the Wii's virtual console be up for purchase on the Wii U at launch? And if so, will virtual console purchases on Wii be able to transfer to the Wii U? I just have to know this stuff before I choose between getting a Wii U and tracking down GC games right now. Dammit, Nintendo, get to stepping.
  • Ariel - July 21, 2011 noon

This is confirmed: http://www.zeldainformer.com/2011/07/gamecubes-will-be-avaiable-for-download-on-the-wii-u.html
  • shawksta - July 21, 2011 11:21 a.m.

@Burnttoshreds Because nintendo has a shit load already, as you can see, they are revolutionizing old ones as if they were new like kid icarus uprising, its NOTHING like the original so technically it IS a new IP. Oh and Captain Rainbow,Sin and punishment,and Xenoblade says hi.
  • jackthemenace - July 21, 2011 10:20 a.m.

Oh, well this almost clinches it. I went out and bought a Gamecube controller for my wii like, 2 days ago, so I could once again play all my GC games. Knowing that I couldn't do that on a Wii U kinda puts me off the idea of buying one again.
  • DrFred79 - July 21, 2011 7:21 a.m.

So they're planning to make it a downloading retro games Hub as the Wii was ??? The Virtual Console was the only thing that kept me coming back. Good news for the GameCube, might make me want to try the WiiU... Might... maybe....
  • BurntToShreds - July 21, 2011 5:51 a.m.

How about some actual NEW IP? The last original IP that Nintendo released was Pikmin, and that was 10 years ago.
  • PhantomDave - July 21, 2011 5:40 a.m.

Jeebus Cripes..... Nintendo I'd like you to meet Sega. Sega...Nintendo.
  • tturchan96 - July 21, 2011 5:30 a.m.

All the great classic Gamecube games would be nice, since my brother traded in almost every Gamecube game we ever owned to buy Rockband while I was away at college.
  • hughesta - July 21, 2011 3:57 a.m.

How does Luigi already have one Boo when he faces the first Portrait Ghosts. WHAT SORCERY IS THIS
  • D0CCON - July 21, 2011 3:06 a.m.

Why not make us repurchase items we already own instead of just giving us backwards compatibility? Sony did it, so it must be cool, right?
  • GringoStar - July 21, 2011 2:46 a.m.

@Victorjaime Why would they release Resident Evil 4 when they remade it for the Wii? Here are more titles I'd like to see anyway: Viewtiful Joe Legend of Zelda Four Swords Adventure XIII F-Zero Star Fox Assault
  • GringoStar - July 21, 2011 2:43 a.m.

@QWERTYCommander It also got a Gamecube remake. If I'm not mistaken it was released only in the UK and Japan, skipping out North America. That's the version I was speaking of. :-)
  • victorjaime - July 21, 2011 2:34 a.m.

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, Super Mario Sunshine, Windwaker, Super Smash Bros Melee, Mario Kart Double Dash, Resident Evil 4 and Luigi's Mansion. That's a decent start-off list.