Topics

Retro

• talleyXIV - April 19, 2013 2:17 p.m.

Maybe I just don't give a shit about graphics but I still love the shit out of my Super Nintendo, N64 and Gamecube. I love buying a new Gamecube/N64 game and see what I missed back in the day and hell the Gamecube games still look really nice.
  • shawksta - April 19, 2013 4:07 p.m.

Whole heartilly agree. I Dont even care how much bullshit DK64 Gets for being king of the collectathons, i love that game to hell
  • Rhymenocerous - April 19, 2013 2:13 p.m.

Some things just age better than others. One thing I always notice, is that games that were hugely popular back in the day feel really old when you play them now, whereas titles that were slightly more obscure (and often more complex gameplay wise) feel less like a simple nostalgia trip and more of a genuine gaming session. Vice City feels really old now... Yet I can still happily play Hitman 2 like it came out yesterday. These games are not as far back as Mega Drive days, but console generations force time to feel longer than it actually is. Games are always driven by technology, and it's one of the reasons they still aren't seen as culturally important as films by mainstream media - the console changes make old titles seem obsolete, as they often are not supported on the new platform due to lack of BC. Only the big new thing is celebrated. You can't go into a shop and buy the original, unopened Metal Gear Solid that's not pre-owned, yet you could still get a dvd (or Blu-ray) of a film that was released in 1972 - because the film industry always supports their entire back catalogue and releases them on the new format, whereas only games released today are supported by the current platform. In a perfect world you could go buy Virtua Racing right now, on PS3.
  • DigitalSensationUK - April 19, 2013 1:06 p.m.

Games used to be well dear back in the day. I remember buying Street Fighter II for the SNES when it first came out and it was £64.99!
  • winner2 - April 19, 2013 10:54 a.m.

"Retro games are getting old" - No shit? Someone had to say it. Interesting article though. We gamers are like hoarders of our old memories. Maybe we just need to put down the ancient stuff until we can redo them on our newer, shinier toys.
  • taokaka - April 19, 2013 10:11 a.m.

When I tried to play my mega drive a while back I discovered the system outright didn't work and ended up getting a new re-released console for $50 with a bunch of built in games. Sonic, Ms Pacman and Streets of Rage still played fantastically and didn't feel old in the slightest but just about every other game in my collection did feel old to some extent which saddened me. And the problem got worse when I tried my childhood ps1 games, most of which aged worse due to primitive 3D gameplay and graphics although a few were still playable. But the nightmare isn't over yet, after a nostalgic gaming week last year I discovered that some of my cherished ps2 games have already started to feel antiquated. I didn't realise how good we have it now, it's odd to think that classics from as little as 10-15 years ago feel lacklustre compared to the types of games modern hardware and services can deliver.
  • TanookiMan - April 19, 2013 9:47 a.m.

I recently pulled out my old Genesis and ran into the same battery problems as Justin. Although I also had the hip (pun) rechargeable battery pak about the size of a potato that comes with a belt clip so you can plug it in and travel with it!
  • BladedFalcon - April 19, 2013 9:40 a.m.

The title for the article is kinda misleading. Since honestly, most of what you're describing in this article are issues with old hardware and technology, but not the game itself. And most of it was ragging on about graphics and performance issues, but regarding the game-play itself, it didn't really sound like that aged poorly at all, which is kinda what matters, I think.
  • JarkayColt - April 19, 2013 9:27 a.m.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold your horses; Virtua Racing was £70? Surely that's a joke? Is that really what those games cost back then? I'm only old enough to remember paying about 30 or so quid for a new PS1 game. People really do have no cause for complaint when it comes to modern game prices! Which ever way you slice it (AAA production costs, inflation) it's what, around £37 for a new game now? It's pretty good when you think about it! But yeah, it's a shame old games don't hold up so well. If any medium is deserving of remakes, it's videogames. The landscape is changing so quickly, or rather, it has been doing. I like your use of the word "curio", that's all I can really think of whilst playing an old game for the first time.
  • GR_JustinTowell - April 19, 2013 11:13 a.m.

Mega Drive games were £39.99 in 1992 then up to £49.99 for games like Sonic 3. Virtia Racing was a special case due to the Sega Virtua Processor built into the cartridge (much like SNES' Super FX chip but only used in one game). I got it from Argos for £59.99. That was a good day :)
  • Bobkatt - April 19, 2013 3:25 p.m.

Some EA games like the strike series and other "Mega ROM" titles also cost nearly 40% plus the average titles. The VR was on of few special cart titles though.
  • GarcianSmith - April 19, 2013 8:52 a.m.

I had this exact feeling when I recently connected up my Nintendo 64. You see, I've moved out of my parents to my own place, so I thought it'd be a good idea to set up the 64, get the lads round and play some 4-Player Goldeneye while drinking copious amounts of booze. But when I finally got the damn thing tuned to my TV, I just stared at the screen. Suddenly, I was unable to play - the pad felt off, the visuals just looked... murky and the framerate was terrible. Now, I do not - at all - subscribe to the "visuals maketh the game" mantra, but as you said, Justin, it just felt... old. I guess some gamers are just at that point, really. Nostalgia and memories can only get you so far - sometimes our experiences are best left where they are.
  • ultimatepunchrod - April 19, 2013 8:51 a.m.

I still have a lot of nostalgia for the games I grew up with, but it's difficult for me to get into games that I didn't play when they were new. I can still give them a try, but I'll never have the same affinity for them as I do with things like Contra, Castlevania, Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles, etc. BUT if I ever do have kids, there is no way that I'm starting them out on the newest games. They have to play some Genesis and NES before I'll give them a PS6.
  • DarknessFisT - April 19, 2013 8:29 a.m.

Hm...
  • TheCakeIsaPie - April 19, 2013 8:52 a.m.

I agree. Hey, be glad the Nomad doesn't have wood paneling like the Atari VCS did.
  • Bobkatt - April 19, 2013 3:20 p.m.

That wood have been sweet though.