• JTRipper440 - October 8, 2012 3:18 p.m.

I was convinced for many years that Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi was a good game after renting it for a weekend when I was much younger and slightly stupider. It was a combination of the Star Wars license and the fact that for some reason the concept of ringouts in fighting games was new to me and this was the first game I had seen it in (I remember once controlling both players in a VS. battle to try and make them fall off at once for a draw, it never worked. Oh the joys). The sad part is that even after much later I read about how awful the game was, I refused to believe it and bought a copy of it on eBay. Appalling in almost every way with some characters almost unplayable, I realised that I had been wrong. F*** that game
  • Spieg89 - October 8, 2012 5 p.m.

I would have to say the game that I loved when I was younger but doesn't hold up is Star Wars Bounty Hunter. I played it so much on the GameCube and I was super excited about it as a pre-teen because I loved (and continue to love) Star Wars. But I went back and played that game recently and it actually sucks. Rogue Squadron is much, much better.
  • lilspooky - October 9, 2012 1:42 p.m.

Showing my age, but one of my favorite games as a kid was Ren & Stimpy: Fire Dogs on the SNES. Played so many hours of that game. Like most of the Ren & Stimpy games, this one just doesnt hold up. Though the second level where you catch the horse and fat lady is pretty funny. Game play video: http://youtu.be/aNGuGzwaQNg
  • Tranquilbez34 - October 9, 2012 2:35 p.m.

The Simpsons Hit and Run. Played it to death in Year 3 and 4 (3rd and 4th grade for you yanks). Recently picked it up at an independent game store along with Spider-man 2 and Pro Skater 4, and it has aged terribly. The Simpsons in 3D is ugly as sin and the missions were incredibly easy but still the game is still fun in an nostalgic sort of way. Makes me kinda glad that The Simpsons Game went with a cel-shaded look.
  • RebornKusabi - October 9, 2012 6:59 p.m.

My game would have to be Doom 3, though some asshats would argue it was never good- well, they're wrong, it WAS good but now it has... issues. What would those issues be? Well, how do I begin? First, the obvious, the flashlight mechanic which at the time was an amazing idea, even though it was still lambasted; now, it's an annoyance that drove me to use the infamous ducktape mod because goddammit this is American. Secondly, the enemies that were once jarring and startling are now just annoying to fight, needlessly hidden behind jump scares and any fear you can obtain by seeing them is remedied by a shotgun to their 37 billion eyeballs they have. Third, the weapons were generic then and they still are now- when Halo came out, it helped permeate the idea of guns aside from pistols, shotguns and assault rifles could exist, like plasma weaponry and a pink needle gun. In comparison to Doom 3, which only had the Soul Cube to sit on... though the chain-gun is still as satisfying as always. Finally, the game just isn't scary anymore. Listen, I understand that fear by and large is a subjective feeling, but back then Doom 3 was, make no mistake, a horror game. A heavily gun-centric, combat emphasized horror game but one nonetheless. After it released, games such as Fatal Frame 2, Amnesia, Cry of Fear and their ilk have scratched that horror itch better and in the case of the Fatal Frame games, which nominally are shooters due to the camera mechanic, and Bioshock, which is an action-horror game, Doom 3 has had a bit of a diminishing return on how scary it is. This is running long, and I had to edit a lot out already, but I could write an entire editorial on why Doom 3 has just not held up as much as I would have liked it to be and even still, I enjoy the game- I am still looking forward to the Big F**king Gun Edition coming soon because I am an achievement slut, but that doesn't change the fact that the game as a whole has not held up very well.
  • RebornKusabi - October 9, 2012 7:03 p.m.

"American" at the end of paragraph two meant to read "America". Also, I feel like I cut too much from my entry but fug it, I probably won't win anyways lol Just had to get that minute amount of Doom 3 hate off of my chesticles
  • sgh341 - October 9, 2012 10:11 p.m.

My choice is somewhat controversial, because it seems so recent, but I will forever love Grand Theft Auto IV. It's graphics are growing more awful by the day, the shooting steadily becoming archaic, the vehicle controls...well, they hadn't aged well even during release. But the pure vibrancy of the city, the engaging commentary on the death of the "American Dream", the desperation of Niko Bellic meeting his Past on the land of his Future evolving into an immensely emotional motif that runs 30+ plus hours; it's fantastic and unforgettable, and was the first Grand Theft Auto game I ever truly LOVED. I will always view it with rose-tinted glasses.
  • spunXtain - October 9, 2012 10:48 p.m.

I remember renting Faceball 2000 on the SNES. I wasn't a PC gamer at the time, and while the PC had Wolfenstein and Doom, for me it was the first time I was seeing a game world in a first-person perspective. Even though the game was little more than a simple deathmatch in a maze, and the characters were just goofy smilies, I had so much fun just hiding in the maze, waiting to ambush someone as they went by my secret hidey-hole. Although I never owned the game for the SNES, I eventually ended up buying it for Game Boy, which to me felt even more incredible. Having this fully 3D first person game on a handheld system was so cool. I took the game with me everywhere, and played it all of the time. I can still hear the music for this game in my head, and it will honestly probably stay with me for the rest of my life.
  • RacoonHail - October 10, 2012 12:48 p.m.

Assassin Creed, the first one, because much like Mikel Reparaz(and his conquistor killing Aztec face) I thought that game was worthy of a 10 after spending 20 hours straight with a buddy of mine playing the game until 5 in the morning just so we could beat and get kicked in the nuts by the cliffhanger ending. But many was that great game, you know until Ubisoft made Assasin Creed 2, Ass Creed Bro Ho, and Ass Creed Remix. Oh, and Assasins Creed 3... but yeah totally a 10...
  • CommandoDS - October 11, 2012 1:06 p.m.

Mine would have to be Pokémon Snap for the N64. When I was a kid I played it for hours on end trying to make Articuno wake up and other pointless tasks in the pursuit of capturing ‘em all. Just recently I re purchased Pokémon snap hoping to capture a time pre responsibilities, and wow is it bad. I will excuse the graphics but the game play feels like your controlling a chipmunk with a camera and a speed addiction. Trying to take a good picture of the Doduo in the first level is insane as you snap a 20 picture collage of its behind as it flails away from you. Maybe my skills have deteriorated over time but I was still super surprised or how bad that game really is, I’ll still play it though just for laughs.