• codystovall - December 19, 2012 10:37 p.m.

I guess you could call Transformers war for cybertron mediocre, but it got so much right and did such a service to the franchise that has been abused as of late that loved it so even if it was basically gears of war with transformers. Its sequel is much better at setting itself from other games and individualizing each transformer and their abilities/personalities and lets hope theres a third installment.
  • KN1GHTMARE - December 19, 2012 9:12 a.m.

My favorite mediocre game is also my guilt please...Viva Piñata. That game has a surprising amount of depth to it once you move pass the tedious learning curve. I remember playing it for hours scheming on how to earn more chocolate coins or lure the next great pinata just to sell it for profit. Come to think about it that game just puts a friendly twist on poaching, but what a terrific twist it is!
  • JMarsella09 - December 18, 2012 1:15 p.m.

Twisted Metal Black. First things first, I love the story and the presentation, they are the reason I played through the game. That Stage were you start out on a ship and then it opens up to a prison is one of the best in the series. However, there's just something about the gameplay. It's not bad, but it lacks the charm of the previous games. The weapons lack ridiculousness. Honestly, it's kind of boring. The new Twisted Metal is much better.
  • dizzzydragon - December 17, 2012 5 p.m.

KotoR 2! Since i played the original so many times i was very excited for the squeal. My love for the first game completely carried over. In retrospect the plot sucked, the characters were uninteresting, and the ending might as well of been just a text message from obsidian telling you to go fuck yourself!However, with star wars fanboyism in full gear and my imagination helping to cover up the many plot I still enjoy KotoR2 to this day.
  • Dabenguin - December 17, 2012 3:18 p.m.

Star Wars: Battlefront II! I have logged nearly 150 hours on my steam account, not to mention the hundreds of hours of split screen on my friend's PS2. Sure some of the levels may be shitty, the character/weapon balance askew, and the bots stupid beyond belief but it's still the best Star Wars game ever. The space battles are amazing. Being able to play as any faction and go into an all-out war with the opposing army and going ham to unlock the hero or villain and destroy everything is awesome, not to mention all of the cool game modes! Hero Assault, Jedi vs Sith, and Hunt, indigenous species (EVEN WAMPAS OR GUNGANS) vs troops, and Galactic Conquest, a game mode in which you fight for control of planets in order to conquer the galaxy for the army of your choosing. Also, on Hoth you can ride a tauntaun and take down an AT-AT with a Snowspeeder's tow guns. On the Death Star there is a secret garbage compactor, that can actually kill you! On Jabba's Palace you can get eaten by a rancor. There's even a mod where you can play as KoTOR era people!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8dtuXVGlho) I take it back, Battlefront II is NOT mediocre, it's a goddamn masterpiece.
  • hawkinson - December 17, 2012 11:53 a.m.

Favorite mediocre game has to be final fantasy x-2. Terrible chick flick quality that I beat to completion once, and read about an alternate ending and beat it again just to get the closure for X. My wife even hated it, but not me. A truly mediocre game i loved.
  • AlpineGuy - December 17, 2012 2:24 a.m.

I loved 2010's Splatterhouse way more than I should have. Maybe it was because I was working my first food service job at the time and needed some heinous gut-ripping just to relax, but I got every single achievement, beat it twice, bought some of the music from the licensed metal soundtrack, and recommended it to a friend immediately afterwards. Yes, the game features about three or four enemy types at max. Yes, the Mask helping you is a total douche voiced by Pete from those Mickey Mouse cartoons. Yes, there wasn't exactly an ending, but rather a budget running out. And yes, it had shameless nudity to sell to the desperate male teen crowd. Yet, in spite of all these things, I love this game in all its gory, juvenile, immature awesomeness.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - December 17, 2012 11:35 a.m.

Yessssssss amazing game. All I could hear when the Terror Mask talked was Tigger from Winnie the Pooh, who's also voiced by Jim Cummings. That made his commands to "Paint the walls red" that much more awesome.
  • Kailon791 - December 16, 2012 11:31 p.m.

While the game may not have sold great and the studio is now, sadly, gone, I absolutely loved Blur. While some wrote it off as a generic car game, it was actually one of the best arcade racing games around. It had a wide selection of real cars to choose from that handled in a realistic way (thanks to Bizarre's Project Gotham engine), and a power up system that kept the racing interesting. The best part of this was that the power ups simply aided the racing, and did not define it in a way that Mario Kart does. To win the race, you had to know how to drive on each track and handle it well, with power aiding you in winning, but not handing you victory. The multiplayer was perfectly balanced for this reason and it is to this day, one of my favorite racing games, and so also, one of my favorite mediocre games.
  • g1rldraco7 - December 16, 2012 9:28 p.m.

For me, it's Legendary for the 360 is my mediocre. It is a basic shooter only you shoot mythical animals. Controls were sluggish and it wanted to e like a COD clone.
  • Unoriginal - December 16, 2012 3:46 p.m.

So what happens when you take Zelda, God of War, Portal and Devil May Cry and mix them all together? You get mah favorite mediocre game. Despite never ever coming close to the greatness of it's inspirations, Darksiders still managed to be a favorite of mine and probably one of the most replayed current-gen games in my library. Everything about Darksiders screams "meh." But somehow despite having sub-Zelda dungeons, sub-God of War Combat, sub-portal puzzles and sub-DMC combos and gunplay it managed to be so EXTREMELY mediocre that it became special to me.
  • SunniDee - December 16, 2012 1:43 p.m.

For me it would have to be the Mega Man Star Force 2: Zerker x Ninja. It's rpg elements kept me interested with the card collecting part as well. However, my favorite part of the game is the fight sequence where you select your cards and from an over the shoulder third person view shoot the viruses to destroy them. Also, the story wasn't actually half bad and the side missions were actually fun. Even though the reviews for it were mediocre at best, which I don't understand that at all, it is easily one of my favorite games on the DS.
  • ultimatepunchrod - December 16, 2012 11:28 a.m.

My favorite mediocre game is Shinobi on the 3DS. It's got all the brutality of the classic Master System and Genesis games with some nice replay value and bonus challenge stuff, but the game isn't very visually pleasing, and the enemy placement as well as level design seem intentionally cheap instead of truly challenging. Even still, it's one of my favorite 3DS games so far because Shinobi kicks ass!
  • EAC73 - December 16, 2012 10:19 a.m.

my favorite mediocre game would probably have to be bomberman hero on the N64. There was something that made me like so much as a kid, maybe because it was extremely easy besides some boss fights, but my kid self loved that game. The game had terrible camera controls but some how i saw past it and. AND it was one of my few N64 games, and the N64 was just my childhood.
  • thombilous - December 15, 2012 6:35 p.m.

I enjoyed both Overlord games a lot, even though they're really average games. Very nice dark sense of humor. Your Alfred impression sounds Australian and will probably haunt me to my grave.
  • Tranquilbez34 - December 15, 2012 2:52 p.m.

It's got to be Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days, sure the gameplay was repetitive and the setting was blander than the colour of a living room but I have such an ironic/un-ironic love for Kane and Lynch, Especially Lynch. They're two guy's in they're late 40's who do nothing but swear and kill people. That is my favourite mediocre game of all time!
  • Moondoggie1157 - December 15, 2012 11:50 a.m.

Favourite mediocre game ehhhhh? Well, the most mediocre in recent memory was Sonic 4: Episode 1. The physics were off, the levels were pretty unoriginal, and overall it was super easy... BUT! For some reason I keep going back to it, the casino levels are a lot of fun, and as unoriginal as the boss fights are, I find the last Robotnik battle to be a hoot... Even though I did basically the same thing nearly 20 years ago... I guess I'll give a shout-out to the GBA versions of Monster Rancher as well. The stories were pretty lame, the battles easy, and the monsters models were only palette swaps. But, it kept me addicted with collecting and combining countless monsters... For that, it has my heart... The original for PS was the best.
  • BladedFalcon - December 15, 2012 11:06 a.m.

We're getting an extra podcast About Megaman with CHIT ELSTIN??? HELL YEAH Also, very much looking forward to the extra large special for the GOTY awards :D Anyway, about the question of the week, my pick has to be Capcom's Chaos Legion for the PS2. It was a game that had an interesting but ultimately flawed gimmick of summoning pawns to aid you in battle, and it wasn't a game that particularly stood out, but it wasn't bad at anything either, and the combat was still pretty damn fun and the art design was overall very Gothic and striking.
  • Spacewolf - December 15, 2012 10:50 a.m.

My favorite has to be Star Wars The Force Unleashed it got repetitive and in some parts boring but it was the first star wars game that made me feel like a bad ass jedi and I thought the story was pretty good.