• doewnskitty - July 1, 2009 5:48 p.m.

I also would like to mention a disdain for simplistic choice systems when it comes to having morality as part of the gameplay. I'd really like more to it than a simple "Good choice, evil choice," especially with how often the choices really represent differing shades of grey. It's even worse when that's the difference of choice given for a consequence that is very ambiguous, such as some of the choices that can be made in series like Fallout (and the main questline in Fallout 3's The Pitt is a prime example of too simplistic a definition of the choice contrasting with the implications and consequences of each). People understand what moral relativism is, even if they've never heard the term. Many people know the meaning behind the expression "Sometimes you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette." Sometimes the better choice requires an ugly compromise, and I'd like to see greater depth in those choices. Plus, by extension, mechanics like the karma system in Fallout 3 are often implemented far too simplistically and often unrealistically. Why not enable the player to decide what his character's moral leaning is at the beginning, and then base it off that? That could add an interesting wrinkle of depth to the mechanic.
  • PlatypusFan - July 1, 2009 4:20 p.m.

well i have a lot 1)timed events like i can deal w/ super mario bros because they give u a decent amount of time but in super mario galaxy i dont see y i have to find the bunnies in the snow place while under a time limit also those comets that time u while u go through the level 2)races not driving races i mean super mario galaxy boo race loz oot running man race and super mario 64 koopa race 3)escort events y in loz tp do i have to guide this stupid caravan that keeps catching on fire and having bombs dropped on it only for me to use my gale boomerang and have it catch on fire again 4)UNDERWATER LEVELS especially those that u have a breath meter like i can handle games where ur a fish(or a magic star from Pufftop) and u can breath underwater but when i have to get a stupid gold shell from penguins i gt annoyed 5)bad maps i kno im supposed to find hima by myself but could u give me an arrow or something so im not circling around cliffs looking for the path
  • DarxStar - July 1, 2009 10:32 a.m.

I hate it when the game has a cool reward you can only get for 100% complete! I've beat the game and saved the world, why do I need all those stars to play as Luigi? SMG (Super Mario Galaxy not Submachine Gun) drives me insane! Why do I have to beat Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga to use Super Force Powers? Why do I need all those gold mrdals for that acheivement? It makes me ANGRY!!!!!!!!
  • FamousMortimer - July 1, 2009 8:24 a.m.

I'm not exactly sure what the feature I'm thinking of is called, but it's definitely overused. I'll try to describe it. The feature I'm thinking of involves the stalking, aiming and shooting of enemies from the perspective of an unseen protagonist (you can only see his hands, really). The player is typically the animating force behind this protagonist, who assembles a veritable arsenal in the pursuit of some vague group of individuals known as "enemies." This game is usually played fromt the first-person, or "first-person" perspective. I daresay, if I have to play one of these "first person shooters," (my name for them), I'll simply scream.
  • xillance - June 30, 2009 11:34 p.m.

Your in a laboratory/military base/structure that is owned by some evil organization. You reach a point in the game where you fight a boss or around where a major twist in the story occurs. Then suddenly: THE SELF DESTRUCT SYSTEM HAS BEEN ENGAGED AND YOU HAVE 4 MINUTES TO ESCAPE!! Then some of the most difficult enemies in the game are blocking your exit, or you need to fight yet another boss battle to escape. You will fail at least once, and then the timer resets and you need to run the gauntlet ONCE AGAIN. Why does happen in every single Resident Evil game?
  • DontEatRawHagis - June 30, 2009 10:24 a.m.

Im sick of open world. Most games just make something so big that it feels desolate or too artificial.
  • BannedInDC - June 30, 2009 7:43 a.m.

@VoodooPanda: They have done second person games...Dungeons and Dragons comes to mind. Congratulations, you've met a masturbating bear at the end of the third dungeon. Would you like to use your ten-point power sword?
  • winner2 - June 28, 2009 2:56 p.m.

Oversized swords.
  • Tabinabinamina - June 28, 2009 7:23 a.m.

Zelda ice levels, every time I manage to barely stay alive with my one and a half hearts. The whole level is me constantly on the verge of death slideing around into things with the low health beeps constantly reminding me of my failure. "Excuse me did you notice you have only two hearts." "Yes I noticed it five minutes ago and it still hasn't changed you can stop warning me" "nope I'm gonna keep on beepin" arrrrrrrgh.
  • Solstice - June 28, 2009 2:58 a.m.

Well, I have many complaints about video games. Let's start the list, shall we? 1.) Unskippable cutscenes. 2.) Endless wave of enemies until you reach a certain checkpoint. 3.) Stealth missions. 4.) Always being the hero. 5.) Deadly water. 6.) Always helping someone out.(You're knocked out! Get someone else to wake you up!)(MGS4) 7.)Never having to buy things for yourself in video games. They're always given to you. 8.) Game Over screens. (They creep me out. I don't know why, they just do.) Let's see... what else? I guess nothing else. OH WAIT! 9.) Dumb AI. 10.) Did I mention unskippable cutscenes? That really grinds my gears.
  • Finklemeyer - June 27, 2009 9:39 p.m.

You know what pisses me off to no end? Effing good/evil systems in EVERY GAME!!! I mean, some games do it right, but in others its just there to make you fell like an asshole. SCREW YOU FALLOUT 3!!! I WILL KILL THOSE INNOCENT POEPLE AND I WILL ENJOY IT!!!
  • AntistasBoneShield - June 27, 2009 8:38 p.m.

A list in no specific order. -Open world: Does 'Open World' count if there is a 'Quarantine Zone' or endless nothingness. -Unskippable cutscenes: If i wanted to hear Cortana explain why she picked Chief over and over, I would have read the books or went on Wikipedia. Just let me play the damn game! -Button press cutscenes: " Oh great! I did it. I think I'm going to drink my Dr. Pepper. Oh F@$%! GAME OVER! -Endless wave of enemies: Play CoD WaW on Veteren...Nuff said. -Realism: Does it look like I really want to be in the Middle East or on a race track.
  • WolfAeter - June 27, 2009 6:23 p.m.

gore control in videogames... specially in star wars games, c'mon the lightsaber is supposed to be able to cut almost all type of material in the galaxy, but seemingly stormtroopers are cutproof
  • secretsearcher - June 27, 2009 5:39 p.m.

The "stealth level". Why is it that almost EVERY SINGLE GAME that goes on the market just HAS to have a stealth level in it? It's almost like the developers have a checklist or something before a game gets released: "Ok...let's see here...Developed Characters? Check. Detailed worlds? Check. Awsome combat system? Check. Stealth level? OH S***!!!" I mean, seriously, a random stealth level can ruin an otherwise perfectly good game. I'm not saying that stealth games like Sly Cooper and MGS are bad, I just am so sick of game developers throwing in stealth levels to give a game "diversity" or "a change of pace." It's not either of those. IT'S JUST ANNOYING.
  • VoodooPanda - June 27, 2009 3:07 p.m.

First-person and third-person gameplay. Someone should take a risk and try second person.
  • Sandman89 - June 27, 2009 12:46 p.m.

The open game world thing. Works for games like gta and fallout, but i dont understand why almost every single game these days wants to force you into a massive, confusing and boring open world. Freedom is overrated -_-
  • Pepsuber88 - June 27, 2009 1:55 a.m.

Also, I am tired of making decisions for the main character. ¿don`t they have free will? i.e. all games.
  • Wizrai - June 27, 2009 12:05 a.m.

The green plastic button?
  • shelcobsohn - June 26, 2009 6:05 p.m.

boss fights where the only thing you have to do is shoot, stab, or punch a glowing body part. developers need to be a little more creative with using the environment to fight bosses. and don't knock regenerating health, it beats looking for health packs any day.
  • onesweetdream11 - June 26, 2009 3:34 p.m.

Definitely have to get rid of save points. You should be able to save any game, any time, and any where. Unfortunately the games that this is most relevant in are the ones that still utilize the stupid save points!