• FoxdenRacing - November 4, 2010 5:34 p.m.

Love the sense of humor in the video; I imagine it was pretty rough keeping your chin up through all that. Your place looks similarly sized to mine; I could see what the Kinect was claiming, but what's the actual distance from telly stand to sofa? I'd like to measure my own living room tonight as a comparison. Guessing from a quick glance, it looks like I'll be standing on the couch or passing on Kinect myself; a shame. I was planning on waiting until after the tacky-waggle-controls fad passed anyway, but not being able to play at all is still saddening. I'd love to play an RTS like it's on a telestrator, and if they don't build a mind trick into 'Star Wars: Force Kinected', there's going to be a lot of unhappy fans out there. I get the feeling Kinect will be best as a subtle addition to otherwise traditionally-controlled games; I imagine a racing game where I no longer have to flick the stick and get disoriented to see beside me...rather, through Kinect turning my head to look around.
  • InFeRnOg - November 4, 2010 5:32 p.m.

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone every time I hear people talking about Kinect like it is a good idea.
  • RebornKusabi - November 4, 2010 5:28 p.m.

Unless a firmware comes out that reduces the Kinects stringent standards for room, I highly doubt it'll take off like the Wii did. The strength of the Wii, and I'm assuming this goes for the Move (haven't used it yet, but I assume it's the same) is that it could be used anywhere for about 80% of it's games so there was no reason to rearrange your furniture.
  • ithurtstopoop - November 4, 2010 5:25 p.m.

So I have to balance my kinect on top of my eyetoy which is on top my wii sensor bar. This is turning into some sort of gaming totem pole.
  • GR_JustinTowell - November 4, 2010 5:12 p.m.

@bschroth - That is indeed a great idea, but in rented accommodation, you can't just go putting up shelves and wall brackets. It's top of the telly or nothing, sadly.
  • tuomotaivainen - November 4, 2010 5 p.m.

Well... Looks like I'm not getting this at all. Only one room in the house that would be big enough, and that's occupied by other people living with me who would not appreciate me putting my xBox there.
  • bschroth - November 4, 2010 4:57 p.m.

My living room itself is abit bigger than the room you're using, but I sit a similar distance from the TV. I've been planning to get my hdtv wall mounted, and Kinect might be the thing that finally makes me get off my lazy ass and do so. Mounting the tv on the wall and having the kinect on top of it might actually help out Justin too. You considered that yet?
  • Clovin64 - November 4, 2010 4:34 p.m.

My living room has more than enough space, but my bedroom (where I actually play games) is a box, essentialy. I don't have an XBox anymore so I'm obviously not going to get Kinect, but the point remains that a lot of people are going to have trouble with Kinect. Most likely after they've just paid the full price for it. Shame.
  • ninjastovall0 - November 4, 2010 4:31 p.m.

never planned on getting one anyway...waiting for 3ds the pic of the two people reminds me of the robot chicken sketch of the humping robot wii game
  • Scotty2Hotty - November 4, 2010 4:31 p.m.

I still want it. Just not $150 want it.
  • jameseverett - November 4, 2010 4:17 p.m.

My bedroom is medium-sized and I only have to turn my PSEye slightly diagonally for it to work perfectly :D
  • Baron164 - November 4, 2010 4:08 p.m.

On the plus side I just measured and have exactly 9ft from the TV to the couch. So if I do end up getting Kinect at least I know it will work.
  • Baron164 - November 4, 2010 4:02 p.m.

Well this makes me happy I'm waiting :-)
  • KishouTenpi - November 4, 2010 4:02 p.m.

I have the new 360 all set up for kinect, but my room is that small I cannot use it and judging by your experience I won't have any luck downstairs either.... screw you microsoft
  • myguyfromthe80s - November 4, 2010 4:01 p.m.

I would almost guarantee not one Microsoft employee has ever been inside a two up-two down terrace house anywhere in the North (UK). A cat can barely swish it's own tail, let alone swing it.
  • 510BrotherPanda - November 4, 2010 3:44 p.m.

WiiMote & Move: "Son, I am disappoint." reCAPTCHA: for forkhood...???
  • GR_JustinTowell - November 4, 2010 3:35 p.m.

@illusion4dreams - Once we moved the sofa, we could both play Kinect Adventures and did enjoy the ride. We then put on Kinectimals and took turns to play. The sofa was still in the way a little bit, off to the left, but it was playable. Menu navigation is weird. If you point straight at the centre of the screen, the on-screen hand is somewhere in the top-left quarter. Seems to bear no relation to actual area you're pointing at, it's just like a mouse controlled by your hand in the dashboard. I'm not a fan of the interface, but I hear Dance Central has superb control.
  • QWERTYCommander - November 4, 2010 3:30 p.m.

Microsoft, Rare, you guys failed. Hard.
  • litaljohn - November 4, 2010 3:27 p.m.

I rather liked that it was quickly pointed out the eyepet for the girlfriend..... its okay, you don't need to be ashamed of it, we all have dark secrets
  • TheWhitestMexican - November 4, 2010 3:24 p.m.

I swear, the more I find out about Kinect, the less I like it. And I was really looking forward to it when MS debuted it at E3.