• shawksta - April 8, 2014 8:16 p.m.

I just got off the direct with my brother GLORIOUS Im a bit sad Pokemon Trainer is gone but hey Atleast Charizard Stays.
  • BladedFalcon - April 8, 2014 10:56 p.m.

GRENINJA ATE THE STINKING TRAINER AND USED SQUIRTLE'S BONES TO PICK HIS TEETH WITH THEM
  • shawksta - April 8, 2014 11:33 p.m.

I remember you saying you wanted Hawlucha for smash Instead you got the next best thing as one of your favorties. I knew you would go nuts. Im already content with the game as far as characters goes, but i will lose it if King K. Rool comes in, especially given that Kremlings actually appeared in the Smash Run footage.
  • BladedFalcon - April 9, 2014 10:26 a.m.

Well, Greninja was always gonna be the one I wanted the most, one, because he was more useful in game, and two, because he was way more feasible. Love me some hawlucha, but I never seriously held hope that they'd put him in smash. He was always gonna be very niche, and simply put, ninjas have way more mass appeal than Mexican luchadores :p in
  • shawksta - April 9, 2014 5:02 p.m.

They do, hawlucha's still awesome though. Funny really, Charizard is considered the most popular pokemon next to Pikachu and for the newest gen, its Greninja, the complete opposite type. Really neat putting them together like this.
  • BladedFalcon - April 9, 2014 10 p.m.

well, they pair up very nicely. It still baffles me that Lucario is there though... I mean, is he really that popular? Or is he jsut one of those pokemons Nintendo decided to champion and jsut keep on with it?
  • shawksta - April 9, 2014 10:23 p.m.

Lucario was fairly popular if only because Gamefreak pushed him as the face of Gen 4. As Sakurai states himself regarding Pokemon Choices: "Well first of all, we talk with The Pokémon Company. What’s the hot Pokémon? What Pokémon are in the movies right now? And really do a lot of research on that front." "For example, X and Y are coming out – of course, we haven’t done any market research because they’re not out yet, but we look at the animated series or movies and anything like that and again, find out which ones are going to be central to any of conversations in Pokemon going forward. “But it’s not just that – going back to just what we talked about, what’s unique about them? Where do they fit in with the rest of everything else? What do they have? It’s a combination of those things.”
  • shawksta - April 9, 2014 10:29 p.m.

The main key point here is the fact that Gamefreak does what they want, and sakurai is looking into said series to see what he can pull from recent and old popularity. Kind of the same issue with Smash trying to choose a rep for Fire Emblem that isnt a Prince being hard because Intelligent Systems made all the main characters of the same class. Then there's Kirby and Kid Icarus Uprising, which Sakurai can freely pull anyone he wants. and given that fake out with Psuedo Palutena as the Trophy Quiz Answer, he's possibly teasing her as a character.
  • BladedFalcon - April 10, 2014 1:30 a.m.

Hrm... Palutena as a character though? aesthetically, she honestly isn't that different from Zelda and Peach and Rosalina, there's enough bland ladies in pretty dresses I say! Why not use Viridi instead? ...Heck, why not use Ares? He'd be fucking ace in my books. But yeah, I get the rest of your post. Still kinda sad though, because really, Lucario isn't really that unique in it's fighting style... He's basically Ryu in Pokemon form.... And Ryu is perhaps the least unique fighting character style out there...
  • shawksta - April 10, 2014 9:33 a.m.

Viridi is a stage background on the 3DS Kid Icarus Uprising stage which is based on the Chapter that Viridi first appeared in, Chapter 12. To be fair, Palutena has shown how she differs from the rest of the ladies in due part to how she fights you back in Chapter 20 when she was possessed by the Chaos Kin. Personally i would perfer Medusa or Hades (You said Ares, this aint God Of War :P) We need more actual villains. But then again, this is just teasing, something Sakurai frequently does. The thing about Lucario is that he was actually last minute placement in Brawl, just like Sonic, they were put in late in development and the gimmick they came up with was his Aura making him stronger the more damaged he is. They basically kept him up to this point.
  • Frieza - April 9, 2014 6:04 a.m.

You sir, are a swine.
  • BladedFalcon - April 9, 2014 10:28 a.m.

*Hoink!* (Don't tell anyone, but I'm actually the patient zero of the swine flu epidemic ;D )
  • Chris_Danger_Donahue - April 8, 2014 7:57 p.m.

Great article Lucas! The final destination improvement was probably my favorite announcement today...other than 5 characters added to the roster.
  • BladedFalcon - April 8, 2014 7:25 p.m.

This IS fantastic news, and I'm not taht interested in competetive play... Even so I like my games absed more on skill rather than random luck, and certainly, it annoyed the shit out of me whenever seemingly unfair and random occurences often happened to hinder me or falt out make me lose in Smash Bros. Melee. And i never played Brawl, but tripping sounds like an awful idea and one that would have driven me crazy. So all in all, this does make me really happy. And yeah, awesome news taht transformations are now gone, never really saw the point of them, and like J-Fid pointed out in another article, the fact that Sheik's transformation took one special move space did nothing but hinder her for me. So hurray for the new changes!
  • g1rldraco7 - April 8, 2014 6:49 p.m.

I'm shocked Megaman's Final Smash wasn' mentioned, I saw it and it's too EPIC to type, but I don't think I'll be playing the 3DS version of this game.
  • Vonter - April 8, 2014 7:10 p.m.

That Final Smash hits right in the childhood.
  • shawksta - April 8, 2014 9:12 p.m.

Sakurai really wants to do right the wrongs Capcom has done.
  • Vonter - April 8, 2014 9:30 p.m.

Also Sonic's. I hope he's at least decent now, because he was kind of a hit and run character and took forever to launch someone. Also the blue shell is an item, bringing the joy of breaking friendships now to the fighting genre.
  • shawksta - April 8, 2014 9:50 p.m.

Sonic's character model is already a mix of the body of Modern Sonic with the Smirk of Classic Sonic and from the gameplay footage he's all fast and did a ton of combos. The blue shell doesnt have wings, interesting...
  • J-Fid - April 8, 2014 6:41 p.m.

I agree. I think this was the most important thing to come out of today's Direct. Now I won't have to get upset with cool levels with awful stage hazards. One complaint though is how these modified stages all act like FD. Many have come out and said FD favors fast characters, to the point that some people don't even believe FD is a neutral level. I'd like it if some of them had platforms, just to shake things up without causing an unfair interference. I mean, who doesn't love Randall the Cloud form Yoshi's Story? Also, I find it funny that the For Fun picture shows Kirby and Pikachu. Those are my two best characters, and if you don't think they're good, I'll just have to show you myself.
  • J-Fid - April 8, 2014 6:43 p.m.

Meanwhile, Link and Samus are usually bottom-tier characters. Oh, the irony.
  • shawksta - April 8, 2014 9:14 p.m.

They are all getting updates, you can see Link has something new where he dodges back and swings forward
  • J-Fid - April 9, 2014 6:05 a.m.

Until they fix his terrible recovery, Link will always be bad.