We Recommend

• Bloodstorm - June 23, 2013 11:50 a.m.

This article reads very "I 'worked' hard for my gamerscore, and I don't want anyone to be able to get there easier." I've got 45K gamerscore, and I could care less if someone on the Xbox One could get that in a day. Meaningless metrics are meaningless. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy achievements in games that I like, but people who play ever piece of refuse that comes out because they can get a quick 1000 or 400 impress me about as much as if someone does get an achievement for watching a deodorant commercial. You wasted you time torturing yourself to play/watch something stupid to achieve some meaningless digital icon with a meaningless digital number tied to it. Make you look like a tool.
  • ParagonT - June 23, 2013 1:02 p.m.

As BladedFalcon said, that applies to almost every sort of entertainment. I could replace a few of your own words with video games and it would infer that we must all be tools for playing a game. "You wasted you(r*) time torturing yourself to play something stupid to achieve some [sort of entertainment]* with a meaningless [impact on your life]*. Make(s*) you look like a tool" Revisions= (*) Tools we are then.
  • Bloodstorm - June 23, 2013 4:04 p.m.

Well, no, because the context of that statement was directed at people who play games that they know are terrible, just to gain gamer-score. But I agree, video games are pointless beyond pure entertainment, but who out there is playing video games just to somehow improve their image to other people (as was the context of my post about certain types of people and their need for pointless gamer-score)? I say anyone who spends time doing something they don't enjoy just to improve their image is a tool to someone.
  • ParagonT - June 24, 2013 5:41 a.m.

If people buy video games just for 'gamerscore', I believe they're okay to do so. Do I believe its weird? Yes. But people gain 'gamerscore' for fun just as we play games for fun. Our goals may be different, but were still playing video games. Even if they know the games are terrible, getting 'gamerscore' is fun to that person. If it's not fun for them and they play games they dislike.... then they just like the abuse.
  • KA87 - June 23, 2013 11:32 a.m.

"Oh great, another GR article bashing the XBOX One. Can the hole get any deeper?" -Microsoft right before it digs right before it digs one block deeper and falls into a pit of lava in Minecraft.
  • TheCakeIsaPie - June 23, 2013 11:29 a.m.

Shhhh! Henry, don't give them ideas! Maybe everyone at MS was too stupid to think of this and you just wrote them a recipe for success!
  • PolarBearsInHeat - June 23, 2013 11:14 a.m.

Microsoft stated earlier on (I'm not a 100% sure whether it was during E3 or right after the xbone's reveal) that even though you can get achievements for completing media-related goals, those achievements will not be associated to an amount of of points and will not increase your gamerscore.
  • BladedFalcon - June 23, 2013 12:23 p.m.

Doubtful, if those don't give any points in any way, then what would be the point of having them?
  • GOD - June 23, 2013 12:42 p.m.

Advertisement through association. "Hey look your friend likes to eat ____" Encouraging you to eat ____ way more than some annoying ad would.
  • BladedFalcon - June 23, 2013 2:27 p.m.

I'd think this to be stupid... But then again, masses have fallen for lamer methods of advertising.
  • StrayGator - June 23, 2013 12:42 p.m.

quick option: game achievments contribute to the gamerscore, non-game points contribute to, i don't know, "mediascore"". you'll have an "Xscore"combining both, but gamerscore will still be easily visible and comparable. voila une solution.
  • BladedFalcon - June 23, 2013 2:27 p.m.

I suppose that'd be one way, and perhaps the ideal option, leaving gamescore intact and "mediascore" easy to ignore XD