• codystovall - May 24, 2013 8:27 a.m.

So if you buy the used game, do you have to pay the used game fee later?
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - May 24, 2013 8:32 a.m.

Nothing has been confirmed by MS, but here's my guess: The "used game fee" has nothing to do with buying a game at a retailer. That ONLY applies if, say, I took a game linked to my account over to a friends house, and he wanted to link that same game to HIS account. Then he'd be prompted with the "used game fee." If I bought a "used" game at a store, according to the above-mentioned model, there is no fee for it--once it's purchased, even if it had been pre-owned, I'm buying the disc and the license to use it for one price. Make sense?
  • FoxdenRacing - May 24, 2013 9:34 a.m.

That's what I'm reading into it now too: The 'Fee' is if you get your 'used' game through any 'unauthorized outlet'. A retailer that doesn't buy into the system, bartered with a friend, etc. I really wish I could build credibility as an analyst. I called that as soon as I read about the phone-home thing...
  • BladedFalcon - May 24, 2013 9:37 a.m.

Lol, you wanna be Michael Patcher Jr.? :P
  • FoxdenRacing - May 24, 2013 10:14 a.m.

No, I want to good at it. :P I jest, I jest...but I'm more interested in predictions and observations by this gamer for gamers, rather than for Wall St.
  • BladedFalcon - May 24, 2013 10:19 a.m.

Oh, I agree. Joking aside, I definitely trust your opinion way more than patcher's, or any other of those analysts and pundits out there XD
  • BladedFalcon - May 24, 2013 8:23 a.m.

Right now, MS and publishers are the last people I want to give money to. To clarify, I mean the publishers alone, not developers, because really, with these kinds of things, it's the publisher that gets the benefit, NOT developers. Which is part of the reason I'm getting sick and tired of publishers in general. They're the middle men, they don't really make the games, but they get in the way and dictate what should and should not be done, and the way most big publishers have been acting lately, it's getting clearer and clearer that they are bloated, and choke out true creativity and even punish it if it doesn't sell to the outrageous standards they have set. So yeah, fuck Microsoft for going this route, they make it sound all so pretty, but the reality is that they are only going to cripple the used sales market and straight up destroy any local or small retailer, and curiously, it will only the big, hated retailers such as gamestop that would be able to carry on with this. Shit like this really makes me root for indies and kickstarters even more, and hopefully sooner than later, most of those greedy as fuck companies will either die, or change the way they do business for the better.
  • garnsr - May 24, 2013 9:19 a.m.

In the music industry the labels used to use the money they took from big acts to cover the smaller ones. It doesn't seem like the same thing is happening in games, the smaller developers get closed down by publishers when they don't sell the same as the big ones.
  • BladedFalcon - May 24, 2013 9:36 a.m.

Precisely, which is why the big publisher needs to die since nowadays it's becoming progressively easier for developers to get the funds necessary to sell their games without requiring a publisher.
  • ParagonT - May 24, 2013 11:12 a.m.

I wholeheartedly agree, but alas, the ignorance of the masses that cannot live without sucking publishers 'D' is far from us. This is a reason I always said that the game industry needs more stringent regulations in the selling of products.