• AqueousBoy - May 24, 2013 9:10 a.m.

So... what stops the retailers from making Sony the winner of the newest generation? If Sony doesn't have the same restrictions, they could just put all the PS stuff up front and not carry any used Xbox games. The presence of all that PS product would no doubt have a positive effect on new PS sales too.
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - May 24, 2013 9:20 a.m.

There's no guarantee Sony's not going to be doing something similar. It hasn't talked at all about its pre-owned plans.
  • BladedFalcon - May 24, 2013 9:55 a.m.

Yep, Sony HAS been pretty vague on that front, which is certainly suspicious. They did say after the PS4 reveal that the PS4 certainly plays used games... But that was it. Let's hope that when they shed more light into this it won't be to reveal a similar crooked tactic.
  • SpadesSlick - May 24, 2013 10:01 a.m.

Sony's bleeding money out the butthole, don't think they will mind all that much making some extra change. I actually wonder if this might lead retailers to pushing the Wii U more, as they will get bigger cuts of game sales. Of course without a similar system in place, third parties are going to flock from the wii u in droves (as if they haven't already). But really that's par for the course for a post n 64 nintendo console.
  • BladedFalcon - May 24, 2013 10:12 a.m.

Actually... Sony's making a return to profitability right now. Also, This is not at all the reason why the Wii U lacks third party support. It lacks third party support for the same reason every single Nintendo console has lacked party support since the N64: Nintendo doesn't know how to make good deals with them.
  • SpadesSlick - May 24, 2013 11:31 a.m.

Well that and the fact that their is no money in it for the publishers. Given the choice between Madden on the PS4/ One or on the Wii U, a consumer is going to take it on the former 95% of the time.
  • BladedFalcon - May 24, 2013 11:40 a.m.

You're already jumping to the conclusion that PS4 is going to embrace this, when in fact, you don't know, none of us do.
  • ZeeCaptain - May 25, 2013 3:39 a.m.

Let's not forget that these are both multi-billion dollar companies that sell far more than video games, as an example Sony has the market on television and electronics, while Microsoft had it's OS in ~89 % of computers not to mention mobiles and tablets...
  • Squander - May 24, 2013 9:02 a.m.

Now it also makes sense why GameStop president Paul Raines was "so excited" about Microsofts Next Gen console a few weeks ago - he knew this shit will coming and he knew that this will result in some sort of alliance with Microsoft becoming its prime retailer. And as BladedFalcon already said, smaller retailers may go away with empty hands. monopoly anyone? Damn, what is Microsoft thinking these days?! They love money, they all do of course, but Microsoft is doing it in such an obvious, shady and arrogant way.
  • BladedFalcon - May 24, 2013 9:09 a.m.

Which is exactly why it's important for us as consumers to vote with our wallets, and make sure not a SINGLE of our pennies go to them, or anything that encourages that kind of shit practice.
  • Squander - May 24, 2013 9:11 a.m.

Amen to that!
  • MrXLiebezeit - May 24, 2013 9:22 a.m.

Viva la Revolución!
  • sxh967 - May 24, 2013 9:55 a.m.

Yeah if things are going the way I think they're going I might have to eat my hat and go out and buy a Wii U. I'm not worried so much about the used games (although that is a problem) but I will not be forced to adopt the Kinect and be forced to have it switched on at all times. Not happening.
  • BladedFalcon - May 24, 2013 10:17 a.m.

Well, if you want my two cents, I would hold out from buying a Wii U until we know exactly what's going on with the PS4. I mean, it's fine if you genuinely want a Wii U for what it has right now, but personally, I don't really see the Wii U thriving in any way other than with First party exclusives and not much else. That is of course, unless Sony shoots itself in the foot like MS has, which is why I'd advice to wait.
  • ParagonT - May 24, 2013 10:57 a.m.

I shall swear upon whatever God you believe in that I shall not buy an Xbox One as long as Used games have a fee and the console must require a connection.
  • BladedFalcon - May 24, 2013 11:03 a.m.

Ayup, same. And if Sony ends up pulling that shit, then screw 'em as well. Might as well get a proper PC at that point.
  • ParagonT - May 24, 2013 11:21 a.m.

What now makes me even more up in arms is that just yesterday, my internet was down. I just got it back a hour ago or so. So that just showed me how easily my 'what if purchase' of Xbox One, would've became a brick.
  • BladedFalcon - May 24, 2013 11:22 a.m.

Ayup, and sometimes, the Internet back home has the tendency of not working on arbitrary times. So out of nowhere, if the I-net shits the bed at the same time a verification comes in, I would get boned without a warning.
  • BladedFalcon - May 24, 2013 9:43 p.m.

You're not alone buddy. And man... it's sad that now I want apple to do well... Just so it can screw the Xbone over >_>;
  • codystovall - May 24, 2013 8:27 a.m.

So if you buy the used game, do you have to pay the used game fee later?
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - May 24, 2013 8:32 a.m.

Nothing has been confirmed by MS, but here's my guess: The "used game fee" has nothing to do with buying a game at a retailer. That ONLY applies if, say, I took a game linked to my account over to a friends house, and he wanted to link that same game to HIS account. Then he'd be prompted with the "used game fee." If I bought a "used" game at a store, according to the above-mentioned model, there is no fee for it--once it's purchased, even if it had been pre-owned, I'm buying the disc and the license to use it for one price. Make sense?
  • TanookiMan - May 24, 2013 9:15 a.m.

Sounds complicated. And then if I want to sell my used game back after my friend has linked it to his account? How do they make sure to wipe it from my account but not his? I didn't think that I really cared about the whole used game thing, but this is turning into a rather pungent clustershart.
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - May 24, 2013 9:22 a.m.

Think of it this way: If your buddy installs off your disc, he has the option to buy a license to activate it on his own account, without needing to own a disc himself. If that's not the case, then it's likely that 1 disc = 1 license, which can only ever be active on one account at a time.
  • TanookiMan - May 24, 2013 9:39 a.m.

ahhh, that does make more sense.
  • FoxdenRacing - May 24, 2013 9:34 a.m.

That's what I'm reading into it now too: The 'Fee' is if you get your 'used' game through any 'unauthorized outlet'. A retailer that doesn't buy into the system, bartered with a friend, etc. I really wish I could build credibility as an analyst. I called that as soon as I read about the phone-home thing...