• agentkuo - May 24, 2013 10:34 a.m.

Microsoft is kinda dumb. If this is how they're going to handle used games, then it would be smarter for them to just make the console Download exclusive, with no physical discs. It doesn't make sense to publish and distribute millions of copies of a disc that's only going to be used in the actual console once. If you have to hold onto the disc anyway, while you're playing the game (owning it), then why not just make it Downloadable, and forget all this nonsense?
  • ParagonT - May 24, 2013 10:52 a.m.

Since it seems that its mandatory to install the games onto your drive, now it just means that the system is no different than a PC. They want to give people the false sense that things are the same when it is not, and the games might as well be downloadable. But also because of what Squander said in a majority although.
  • ZeeCaptain - May 25, 2013 3:20 a.m.

Well it's like the PC but you need the disc to install then you won't need it again, this is true for the PC as well but only if you download a patch to not need the disc. Not to mention the entire concept of installing the game and not needing the disc is useless and is what's causing all the dumb ideas behind pricing used games, and that games can be bound to only one profile.
  • Bear266 - May 24, 2013 3:05 p.m.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The primary reason to have a disc would be to distribute to places that can't download them, but since they are requiring the internet, that's out the window. About the only other logical reason would be to save people from having to download tons of data on a possibly restricted data plan. But seeing as how the industry is greedy enough to go down this path, why would they care about that?
  • death4us - May 24, 2013 10:21 a.m.

OK say they do this with other industries. You buy a car and now want to sell it but you gotta give a cut of your sales to the car maker now. Now Microsoft and gang want to be paid again for games they already been paid for just because another person owns the game. One last thing the whole force check online once a day thing is basically calling all of Xbox owners untrustworthy and have to be kept and eye on.
  • MayorOfAmerica - May 24, 2013 11:20 a.m.

Lol. Except you can't make a copy of a car, keep it in your garage and resell the original...
  • death4us - May 24, 2013 5:01 p.m.

Except this is about used games and not about illegal copies.
  • ZeeCaptain - May 25, 2013 3:26 a.m.

That and you can't copy these games either, they use a special brand of blu-ray disc only available to participating companies that are deemed worthy of producing for the console's owners, that's why you'll never see any indie games on discs
  • dden45 - May 24, 2013 10:19 a.m.

I predict Valve is now going to fast-track a SteamBox real soon and have Half-Life 3 as a Steam exclusive. They’d be stupid not to. I mean, if they can get the price down (and potentially allow for hardware upgrades), keep offering the awesome scaled pricing for games, and offer system exclusives like Half-Life and Portal… they could make a serious dent in the console wars. The timing just feels right.
  • jason-t-ayresa - May 24, 2013 9:57 a.m.

so who wants to play Dungeons and Dragons, if this type of money hungry behavior continues I think I will be backing out of video gaming. This is as many things in life a step down a dark path for gaming in general. Maybe I will just have to go back to PC gaming, might as well and at least that is backwards compatible. This whole thing with Xbox one is putting a very sour taste in my mouth for the industry.
  • Sinsational - May 24, 2013 10:11 a.m.

It's never too late to give the Playstation a shot. Sony has already stated that the PS4 won't require an internet connection to play, won't charge you for playing used games, and as far as we know, the PSN is still free. The PS4's specs are superior to the Xbone's, and even stands square with some high-end gaming rigs. For a quarter of the price (if the rumored $450 price tag is true).
  • BladedFalcon - May 24, 2013 10:14 a.m.

Actually... they haven't actually said they won't charge you for playing used games. They said the PS4 would allow used games to be played, but remains to be seen if they won't charge anything. One hopes they won't, of course.
  • jason-t-ayresa - May 24, 2013 10:17 a.m.

That will probably be what happens, its not that I don't like Sony its that most of my buddies are on Xbox or PC. Xbox is a social thing for me as well, I keep in contact with some old Army buddies and such that way. But with the price gouging maybe we will all switch to Sony.
  • ZeeCaptain - May 25, 2013 3:30 a.m.

Are you really trying to recruit for Sony? Has the console war become this serious. Also I find the PS4's efforts to become incredibly social hilarious, they even have a button on their controller for sharing. Don't get me wrong, I'm siding with the PS4 for now I suppose, because at this point no news is good news. But really the thing I liked about the PS3 was the anti-social feel of it all.
  • Sinsational - May 29, 2013 6:12 p.m.

Well, when the worse console company finally shows its true colors, that's the perfect time.
  • ParagonT - May 24, 2013 10:53 a.m.

Actually, funny you say that. I just played last night as a DM.
  • mafyooz - May 24, 2013 11:18 a.m.

I'll dig out the old Monster Manual and roll up a Ranger! :) Although to be fair I've not played since 2nd edition and from I've heard the D&D market is nearly as divisive and money hungry as video games these day.. Also, no THAC0, I don't think I could handle that level of change....
  • jason-t-ayresa - May 24, 2013 11:29 a.m.

other than the baldurs gate games ive actually never played but i dont care i would rather play that then have to repay copious amounts of money for something that was pre owned
  • mafyooz - May 24, 2013 11:44 a.m.

I don't know if GR will give me grief for posting this link, but this is a site where they review board games (Monopoly need not apply). I started watching mainly because they're fellow Englishmen and have the same slightly warped sense as me, but I'm increasingly finding these games more appealing, not least because of the direction the video game market seems to be taking. http://susd.pretend-money.com/
  • jason-t-ayresa - May 24, 2013 12:52 p.m.

my girlfriend and I found the X-men board game from the 90's and we had a lot of fun playing through it, granted it took two days to finish the match but I think we will both be checking stuff like this out more, and when we have kids someday we will own a whole lot of this kind of stuff. but thanks for the link I am gonna check it out.
  • SpadesSlick - May 24, 2013 9:15 a.m.

I'm frankly surprised it has taken as long as this for something to be implemented. Anything that get developers their fair share is good, who cares if gamestop's profits get eaten into.