• GamesRadarCollanderCooper - May 24, 2013 2:45 p.m.

Is this an Onion article?
  • JAZ9030 - May 24, 2013 1:39 p.m.

I just realized that if the xbox needs to be online all the time, then what happens when microsoft has to do maintenance. Would the xbox just become a paperweight for a day?
  • Redeater - May 24, 2013 12:18 p.m.

I will always support games that I love. When I know I am going to love a game I will always try to buy it for full price. The problem with this business model is that it will cost more to take a chance on used games. I will buy anything Ninja Theory puts out BECAUSE I found a used Enslaved copy while I was bored one day. Alternatively, I lend out a lot of my games and if friends like them I encourage them to support the devs. The days of "Hey try this game if you are bored" will be gone and people will be willing to take less chances on devs if they find out they have to pay for games they borrow from friends.
  • Redeater - May 24, 2013 12:21 p.m.

If I hadn't found No More Heroes in a bargain bin I wouldn't have bought: NMH2 Lollipop Chainsaw Shadows of the Damned all bought for new......all bought full price. Go fuck yourself MS. Your heart is in the right place but this isn't the way to save the industry.
  • FoxdenRacing - May 24, 2013 1:34 p.m.

They're not trying to save the industry. They're trying to get a piece of the used pie while the getting's still good.
  • Redeater - May 24, 2013 2:23 p.m.

I understand that but every press release about these fees has them saying they are doing it for publishers. I was addressing that particular item.
  • FoxdenRacing - May 24, 2013 2:29 p.m.

And I was in a snarky mood when I wrote it. I don't doubt that their strategic partners [namely EA] had a lot of say in them pursuing this half-baked scheme, but MS is hardly altruistic; they're getting some cash out of the deal too. That's what I was trying to get at, but was too cranky to say the first time.
  • Angelusbane - May 24, 2013 11:05 a.m.

This makes no sense. If the percentage is correct that would mean from a £35 preowned game the shop would only £3.50. This means that they would only pay 50p in the first place. Who would trade in £40 for 50p. The stores would die and people would be a lot more careful with their purchases. I have over 100 PS3 games in my to do pile. I wouldn't have that many if I didn't have the option to trade them. No more impulse buys and definitely no purchases of games with less than 100 hrs gameplay.
  • FoxdenRacing - May 24, 2013 2:30 p.m.

I'm impressed, a backlog that's bigger than my own. I have a nasty habit of saying "I better buy this now, in case I never see it for sale again" more often than I have time to game.
  • agentkuo - May 24, 2013 10:34 a.m.

Microsoft is kinda dumb. If this is how they're going to handle used games, then it would be smarter for them to just make the console Download exclusive, with no physical discs. It doesn't make sense to publish and distribute millions of copies of a disc that's only going to be used in the actual console once. If you have to hold onto the disc anyway, while you're playing the game (owning it), then why not just make it Downloadable, and forget all this nonsense?
  • Squander - May 24, 2013 10:43 a.m.

I totally get your point. However, that would mean that MS throws the whole system that defines the videogame-industry overboard. There must always be some form of physical, haptic media, we are not ready for that... yet. Plus there is a huge distribution/supplier system working behind the scenes. And again, I totally get your point. Buying a nicely-boxed game whose disc I will probably just touch once in my life is not a heart-warming feeling. It actually feels unsustainable and wrong...but thats appearantly how the industry evolves. It'll be interesting how Sony approaches this issue.
  • ZeeCaptain - May 25, 2013 3:16 a.m.

This and we all saw how the PSP Go turned out, they didn't have an up and running system capable of holding a fully stocked online store, and even if Microsoft achieves that, there are always those who enjoy the experience of going to a game store and getting a physical item.
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - May 24, 2013 10:50 a.m.

I think that's where we are headed--eventually. A majority of the console crowd is unfamiliar with a Steam-like service; digital-only distribution freaks a lot of people out. I think the boxed versions of games are mainly there to provide a sense of familiarity to those too intimidated by a foreign digital licensing format.
  • FoxdenRacing - May 24, 2013 1:52 p.m.

I view it as two separate markets, even though they share a lot of product. Consoles are an appliance; they're for the gamers that want to put the game in, push the power button, and go. They trade the versatility of a PC and the freedoms enjoyed by PC gamers for low price and reliability. Anything that doesn't 'just work' isn't going to go over well with the console crowd...they have a very, very low bar for deeming something 'more trouble than it's worth', and any hardware manufacturer that ignores that does so at its own peril. If console gamers wanted the headaches of PC gaming...they'd own PCs. At least there, the headaches come with significant advantages: Steam sales, mods, dedicated servers, a much higher ceiling for graphics quality, upgradable, etc. Any attempts to PC-ify consoles are going to run into trouble.
  • ZeeCaptain - May 25, 2013 3:24 a.m.

You do know that both Dell and HP either create their own brand of gaming pc or have a subsidiary i.e. Alienware
  • ZeeCaptain - May 25, 2013 4:30 p.m.

I suppose, and that sounds good in theory, but the console market is tough and there's the two leading monster corporations that aren't going to let new competition in so easily. Have you heard of the indie console OYUA? That thing is suffering from harsh criticism as we speak, it's already a few months behind schedule release; and Nvidia is trying for a mobile handheld, the Shield, don't thing Nintendo doesn't have some choice ideas on how to handle that. There are however computers that hook up to tv's, you still need a mouse and keyboard mind you, but once your in the game, i have yet too see many that don't except a 360 controller. All I mean by any of this is the Dell/HP console can be the exact same thing as a computer and vice versa, but its all how you market it, MS won't care if your putting out a computer but they sure will get a little hot under the collar the moment you say here comes a third party console.
  • ParagonT - May 24, 2013 10:52 a.m.

Since it seems that its mandatory to install the games onto your drive, now it just means that the system is no different than a PC. They want to give people the false sense that things are the same when it is not, and the games might as well be downloadable. But also because of what Squander said in a majority although.
  • Scoob - May 24, 2013 4:52 p.m.

The reason games need to be installed is the load times from a Blu-Ray. You can really notice this going between Xbox 360 and PS3 regularly. I would imagine the PS4 will have the same thing happening. Even if it didn't, you'll probably want to install to a hard drive anyway simply because it's faster than disk, and also help extend the life of your machine (and perhaps disks) by not running the optical disk drive all the time.