• sleepyMexican45 - June 14, 2013 2:48 p.m.

Its sad that MS decided to try to forcefully steer the corporate gaming world into their own mould. They seem to forget people dont like change and certainly dont care about the future of gaming as a whole. People will see this as a greed move, wheher right or wrong. its just too early and too sudden to remove used games and brick and mortar sales from the equation, especially as there'll be a huge increase in non-hardcore active gamers over christmas. To put it simply, people cant and wont stand for being told what they can and cant do with their money. Stupid move MS.
  • WeediestNugs - June 15, 2013 10:07 a.m.

Too early to move to digital media? Do you like that Iphone you have full of digitally DL'ed songs, movies and TV shows? or the Ipad you got? or your netflix watch instantly acct, or your collection of movies DL'ed on your current console? C'mon man! it's past the time for digital media not to soon. Grow up, they are not telling you what you can and can't do with your money,you can go buy a ps4 or a sega saturn for all they care, they are simply trying to keep the industry you claim to love, alive. and just for perspective, I own a modded 360 and have about 60 burned games, but i still support this change to better regulate who profits from our gaming addictions and to see that those addictions continue to be fed with quality games. If i can pay $20 less for a new game because I have to pay a small fee when I buy a used game, so be it. Do you all not realize that you will own these games after you buy the license for them??? if you trade your disc to a friend your license won't disappear. think about that.
  • sleepyMexican45 - June 15, 2013 4:16 p.m.

wow you completely misunderstood my comment/ didn't read it properly. and the problem isn't about digital media.
  • WeediestNugs - June 15, 2013 8:41 p.m.

Then enlighten me. What did you mean by " its just too early and too sudden to remove used games and brick and mortar sales from the equation"???
  • gadjo - June 16, 2013 11:19 p.m.

I believe he means that making such a restrictive and unpopular move alone was a really bad idea. Anyone with any connection to gaming culture would have known how unpopular it would be, and that the only way for it to work would be to make sure everyone else does it too. I figure it must of been some high-level suit, disconnected from the culture surrounding his products, that made the various restrictive decisions about the Xboned, because it sure doesn't seem like a choice made by someone who lives in reality.
  • Lemons - June 14, 2013 10:10 a.m.

Already per-ordered the PS4 launch edition from Amazon the same night as the conference. I'm not too crazy about the PS4's game lineup for launch to be truthful but am going to support it (plus I mean c'mon, ;) its cheaper). I was actually surprised at XBone's conference and the games they will probably have ready for it. I know the XBOXONE will probably not end up being too bad a console and that one would feel ok once having it. However, if you're able to truthfully admit that (like I just did) and still not want to buy one that says a lot for what that system has to offer versus PS4 in terms of consumer want. Micro's move was too heavy handed and they can try and talk down any negativity towards it as "backwards thinking" or "people are not ready yet" but at the end of the day it looks like the consumer (en masse if the internet is any proof) is actually going to vote with their wallet for once and show a company that their product just doesn't have the appeal they thought it did. PS4 FTW, if nothing else because if I want to buy another one of the consoles and a tv and send one to a family member (little cousin) in another country (in my case nicaragua) so they can have one too, they won't be fucked because they aren't able to play it. What good is a box if you cannot take it and play it with a tv anywhere you have electricity?
  • tomthespesh - June 14, 2013 9:27 a.m.

Right having just read the other articles about the xbox one I think it's not as bad as it once seemed. Sure you still need to connect once every 24 hours which isn't ideal but for the vast majority I wager that isn't an issue. My internet is only down when the power is out so no console use anyway. The Kinect can be completely turned off so it's not always filming and listening and you have to use buttons I assume to turn on the console. And Microsoft announced that there's no issue with re selling first party games and publishers choose whether to make an "online pass" or equivalent which EA already do. Now granted I don't want to sound like some Microsoft fanboy because I'm not. It just looks to me that the difference now isn't too great. Sure the PS4 is cheaper and less restrictive but I think it's not as bad as it all first seemed so my decision will probably be down to the games released and the price point mid next year.
  • Lemons - June 14, 2013 10:17 a.m.

I agree with you. I mean I myself pre-ordered a PS4 but I see where you are coming from and you did not make it sound too "fanboyish" (a little lol but I think its safe to say most of us on here are to some degree fanboys of something). Still, you have a valid point from where you stand, especially considering waiting it out till next year. It will be a much better view of both consoles at that time.
  • raz00157 - June 14, 2013 8:51 a.m.

I do believe Microsoft is trying to push the industry in a way that is beneficial to them and not to consumers. I have never owned a PlayStation 2 or 3 but I am seriously considering a PS4. I have owned Xbox consoles since Halo 2 was released and currently have the Halo 4 edition. I really don't like the PlayStation controller of any generation which is the only issue keeping me from making a definitive choice right now. If a third-party made a Xbox like controller I would definitely go with the PS4. I really do not intend to use or see any reason to have to use my game console to watch tv. I do use it to buy and rent movies which wouldn't be a problem with any console. I have kinetic but I don't use it and my family was bored with it within a month. If they were to release a model of the One without the required kinetic I would seriously reconsider. Even with the gating restrictions. I would only buy AAA games for it and other games for the 360. This is my first post on this or any site other than Xbox forums. The Xbox has served me well but Microsoft is trying to govern and control or even dictate if you will and in a democracy no one likes that.
  • graeme-young - June 14, 2013 9:55 a.m.

Problem solved check this out http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Elite-Wireless-Controller-Playstation-3/dp/B003V4AK8E/ref=sr_1_20?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1293230926&sr=1-20
  • raz00157 - June 14, 2013 10:36 a.m.

Thanks. I knew those were available for ps3 which is why I thought of it. Got to wait and see if they license for ps4. Xbox could still win me back though. And it wouldn't take much.
  • lockman30 - June 13, 2013 12:49 p.m.

Well im new to this site and ive been reading the messages and i agree with most i mainly preferred xbox360 this gen because of xbox live etc and the exclusives but now most of the exclusives ms had are on ps now and its 100 dollars cheaper no internet check in and in my opinion ps had the better show and dont even get me started on the ALWAYS ON CONNECT. (I E low power state still means its on so it can hear you say "xbox on") And so what if you dont buy used games thats not the point , point is if you ever felt the need to you should BE ABLE TOO bottomline every generation a company gets lazy and thinks that they can feed the consumer some bs and still keep selling systems you have to show us every generation your commited to the gamer so microsoft will lose the next gen war period you cant tell some one to pay 60 dollars but oh you cant take it to a friends house if not on your friends list for atleast 30 days GTFOHWTBS.
  • death4us - June 13, 2013 12:28 p.m.

The fact is you wont own your games or your gaming console with Xbox. The whole point of them telling you to buy the new Xbox is pointless because you wont own it. You are just paying lots of money so you can have it in your home and pay to lease games for it. What next a yearly charge on all those games and for the right to have the console connected to your TV? A charge for them to do that daily check on your games?
  • Fireninjastar - June 13, 2013 10:34 a.m.

Microsoft is cheating. Putting amazing games on a crappy and overpriced console. Seriously, they're using Minecraft as a launch title. They're trying WAY too hard.
  • mikehoncho - June 12, 2013 8:32 p.m.

Lewis Black was just talking about how bad Microsoft screwed up on the Daily Show. You know you fucked up bad when a none gaming oriented tv show is talking about you.
  • n00b - June 12, 2013 7:42 p.m.

For me it's really a matter of the path of least resistance. PS4 will do practically everything the XBone does, will have most of the same games, will have plenty of Japanese games, is not region locked so i can import stuff, less restrictions and a 100 dollars cheaper. There's no question really. Plus I'll be getting a Wii U for Bayonetta and X so It'll be like last gen where i Had a Xbox and Wii.
  • kazimierz3000 - June 12, 2013 5:15 p.m.

The quick solution for Microsoft to jump back into the fight swinging would be to change their policies, update some firmware, and release the Xbox One without the camera for the same price as the PS4...but I doubt they will do that. Also being a gamer in an area without steady internet, It looks Like PS4 will be my next console.
  • hunter-payne - June 12, 2013 4:49 p.m.

Gamers are just babies and whiners right now. Microsoft is offering a big boy system and threw itself out there knowing that it wouldn't be liked and they didn't care and I applaud that. The $499 price point everyone is whining about is only $100 more than the 360 launched at in 2005, so to say it's too expensive is crazy especially with everything the system has to offer. Maybe none of this bothers me because I have internet and don't buy used games so none of these problems affect me but i'm also not a baby. To think that people think this system is going to fail is crazy, the Xbone will sell millions of units and it will still be a success, sure Sony will win this next era of the console wars but this does not mean the One can't be a successful system, especially with it taking games like Kingdom Hearts that was a PS exclusive and now adding their games to its system, clearly the developers think this system will be successful because the games list was huge and incredible. Being someone that has a 360 and PS3..I have always used my 360 more simple because of the entertainment concept that it brings to the console. I am not a fanboy but you can't read an article without having Sony fanboys just being completely annoying and well wrong about their thoughts on the One. I don't understand why people can't like what they want and why all this hate between us gamers have to occur..it's childish and needs to stop.
  • Jonnypan - June 12, 2013 5:41 p.m.

Wow, you completely missed the point. The price is a non issue here, Sony could have said $600, and people still would have been excited about it because they also rejected Microsofts draconian policies. For one, calling gamers "babies and whiners" for being outspoken and steadfast in not wanting their rights as consumers to be violated is asinine. Don't applaud Microsoft for attempting to screw over a good portion of its fanbase to capitalize on one "profitable" sector. Even if you will always have good internet does not ensure it will never go out for a while, or Microsofts servers won't go down and not allow you to check in regardless. This whole games checking in process also makes it so you don't actually own the game, you would pay $60 and be allowed to play it, the disc is simply a facade. You are also being extremely selfish by saying you don't care if they restrict the system because it won't affect you. What about everyone else who isn't as "fortunate" as yourself who also want to play the next generation of games on an Xbox? Do they not matter? Overall it's a matter of ethics. Will we as consumers allow Microsoft and game publishers to dictate how we consume their products? Or will we say no and go our own way? I'm with you, I much preferred the Xbox 360 this generation, and swore off Sony, but I will not stand for these practices even though, like for you, they don't affect me as much as others. I won't sit here and allow Microsoft to convince the rest of the industry that this kind of thing is ok and have it become standard and increased. Everyone is completely entitled to their own opinion, and can buy whatever console they please. Saying "Sony fanboys" are being annoying for, for the most part, concisely discussing and trying to understand Xbox one's policies is ridiculous. I am certainly not a Sony fanboy (I'd wager I'm closer to an Xbox fanboy, (at least Xbox 360)), and we're not just trying to get people like you to not buy and Xbox, we're trying to get you to understand what's wrong with it. If you still want to buy it after all that, then fine, there's nothing I can do about it.