Google+

Mega Man Legends 3 cancelation was your fault

The decision to cancel Mega Man Legends 3 may not have been a huge surprise after the prolonged silence about the game's development that preceded it. However, if there had been a little more noise from fans, the game might still be in the works.

Mega Man Legends 3 was set up to update people on progress and include fan feedback in the development process through the dev room, but according to the Capcom Europe Twitter account the lukewarm activity on the site may have contributed to the game's end.

"The game was meant to show people how games are developed,” Tweeted Capcom in response to a disappointed fan questioning why the game had been canceled. Capcom later elaborated, stating that “unfortunately so few fans took part in the creation of the game. It was felt the project was not worthwhile. :-(”

The sad face frown of the emoticon leads us to believe that Capcom doesn't harbor any resentment towards Mega Man fans, yet those same eyes are clearly still blaming them for what happened.



Other members of the development team handled the cancellation with a bit more grace. Former Mega Man producer Keiji Inafune wrote on his blog (translated on 1UP.com) that "The decision for the cancelation was out of my sphere, but as someone who took part in the development, I'd like to convey something to the staff: I'm sorry that I couldn't be of assistance."

Since the cancelation, Capcom Europe has attempted to clarify its Twitter comments, responding to a fan who claims they tried to blame fans minimal participation for the game's cancelation by saying “No [the former Twitter comment] conveys that the dev room website and concept wasn't as good as we wanted it to be.”

There's also this helpful back and forth.

July 21, 2011

Source: 1UP.comTwitter 

35 comments

  • Xifihas - July 24, 2011 2:38 p.m.

    Just as I thought, it got cancelled because most people didn't care about it.
  • ThatGuyFromTV - July 22, 2011 4:20 p.m.

    they could have done a better job of getting the knowledge out... and hey, if the devs see how much hate there is for the games cancellation, they'll put it back into development. Trying to stay positive about this.
  • jmcgrotty - July 22, 2011 12:35 p.m.

    Jesus Christ, people. Capcom didn't do a damn thing wrong. Based on the comments, I really think that people misunderstood the article. They're talking about a Mega Man game. Who gives a damn?! The MM universe died years ago. And quit taking it so personally, you guys. It was a business decision. These things happen. Want an example? Mega Man titles sell an average of 218715 copies per game (128 tiles, 28million sold. And those sales figures are very, very much focused around the initial games). Street Fighter titles sell an average of 469697 (66 titles, 31million sold. Doesn't account for arcade plays). With the high cost of game development these days, if a general lack of interest with their key demographic is apparent, it's irresponsible to keep developing it. ALL companies will continue to release "recrapped out games" when they sell as well as they do. Other comments: SirNinja said "the fact that there's now a huge outcry from fans means that development should resume, no?" Where is this "huge outcry?" Even with the story being out there, no one is really talking about it. Collectively, the game playing population have said "meh" and moved on. People have said that it is stupid that they used the excuse that people weren't going to their dev room site as a reason to cancel the game. Don't blame only them. Look around the web and you'll see that most news sites also didn't cover it too often. Someone said "We should've, oh, I don't know, fucking advertised it?" Are you out of your fking mind?! You are really suggesting that companies now should be advertising a game that isn't even out of development?! That is dumb on just massive levels. Additionally, I KNOW I shouldn't say this, and might get in trouble for it, but to those that say they would rather pirate Capcom games than pay for them now, please go die. Literally. The world is worse off with you being in it. (Hard to believe it, but that last paragraph was the tame version of what I wanted to say) OK, now I'm just all pissed off. Can't stand you people sometimes. Grow up.
  • reveffect - July 22, 2011 10:12 a.m.

    Sorry for double post but I meant to say that you can't blame the fans not that you can.
  • reveffect - July 22, 2011 10:10 a.m.

    It kind of is everyones fault when you think about it but most of the fault goes to capcom. Just typed a paragraph long list of reasons why but I'm not posting that. But all of the other major gaming news sites and magazines could have done better to get the news out. You can really blame the fans though because of the lack of news, info, and advertising. Plus not everyone has enough time to scour the net for info on a game that they don't even know is coming out.
  • Syncmaster - July 22, 2011 6:50 a.m.

    fans wanted a full sequel, not a half assed demo for a portable for a start. but anyway, it was legends 3. too bad huh. But hear me when I say if it would turn to shit later, its better to be killed right away, right Parasite Eve fans!? I still hope the series return someday, like Parasite Eve 3..
  • meh - July 22, 2011 6:43 a.m.

    @BurntToShreds WTF do you mean niche title?!! What about TvC?!!! Half of those damn characters don't even exist in the US and it came out!!! And as far as I know that game bombed!!!
  • SerpentineZERO - July 22, 2011 5:51 a.m.

    PAUL RYAN?! Anyway, Capcom's been making weird decisions lately.
  • ObliqueZombie - July 22, 2011 5:38 a.m.

    I agree. We should've, oh, I don't know, fucking advertised it? How can a developer take on SUCH a big task as letting the FANS create a game, when hardly anyone has even heard of it? I heard of it ONCE, and that was from you guys as Games Radar. After that, not one magazine article, website advertisement, or anything even closely related to it. Honestly, with such a unique and amazing task for fans and developers alike, that should've earned a HUGE spot in Game Informer. I absolutely love you guys, but information comes in fast, which is good, but also makes some people who don't have the patience to click "Older stores" and see what's up with EVERYTHING. At this rate, everyone is to blame.
  • NanoElite666 - July 22, 2011 4:49 a.m.

    Yeah this smells like a load of shit.
  • RebornKusabi - July 22, 2011 4:36 a.m.

    That's cute, Capcom is trying to blame the fans for its f*cking cancellation[s] and not because of their own Japanese bureaucratic bullshit. Yeah, this cancellation has changed my mind on the next couple of Capcom games because, fact, I'm going to pirate the next games they release.
  • super0sonic - July 22, 2011 4:33 a.m.

    Hurr durr be more excited. durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Gawd dam Capcom why you do this?
  • Nintendophile - July 22, 2011 2:51 a.m.

    Fine Capcom, then give us access to the development programs, and we WILL make the damn thing!
  • Thequestion 121 - July 22, 2011 1:22 a.m.

    Well, this is even more disappointing
  • BurntToShreds - July 22, 2011 12:48 a.m.

    Let's look at it this way; Mega Man Legends has always been a niche series. Compared to the other megaman games. Capcom may have seen that releasing such a niche title for a platform that, honestly, isn't doing very good in the sales department woul be a bad idea.
  • codystovall - July 22, 2011 12:45 a.m.

    If we made the game and knew everything about it then what would be the point of playing it?
  • usedforglue - July 22, 2011 12:42 a.m.

    Come on. Most people that grew up with megaman legends are now in the full-time work force. I looked at their development/fan input site and it was poorly laid out and confusing. I don't have time to devote to the development of their game (my spare online time is spent on GR) but that doesn't mean I wasn't really excited and ready to buy a copy of the game. I see this as a poor bases to make the decision to can the game. Capcom's call. I'm sure they were only thinking about the bottom dollar and resident evil is eating all the spare cash-flow.
  • bigwill1221 - July 22, 2011 12:41 a.m.

    Lol. Lame excuse capcom. Keep releasing recrapped out games... SF:AE ULTIMATE MVC
  • SirNinja - July 22, 2011 12:25 a.m.

    So, Capcom: if that's true, the fact that there's now a huge outcry from fans means that development should resume, no? Nice job for blaming US for all this, by the way. Protip: we might have been more "active" fans if we had a good reason. No new info doesn't give the fans much to work with. Delays don't exactly cheer them up, either. Neither does canceling the damn thing, surprisingly.
  • shadowreaper72 - July 22, 2011 12:23 a.m.

    This is yet another reason why Capcom is one of the worst game companies ever.

Showing 1-20 of 35 comments

Join the Discussion
Add a comment (HTML tags are not allowed.)
Characters remaining: 5000