• mozaralio - October 16, 2008 12:56 a.m.

I think some people didnt get the concept of this article but i thought it was amazing all these games are pretty deep I think Kayne & Lynch should have been on there (Remorse,Regret,Self preservation or Redeeming yourself) Also starcraft should be up there you have to play every races campaign to get the whole story it has (Betrayal,Sympathy,Regret and Corruption) Also I think that that new game, Mirrors Edge? will be a deep intricate game but i guess well find out.
  • StupidFaceXD - October 15, 2008 11:15 p.m.

You're right when you say these games are mature. They tackle MATURE subjects. When I first saw the title I thought it was gonna be telling everyone why our kids shouldn't play these, but after reading this I realize you meant that the subject is adult. I (being but of the lowest of the teenage years) understand what you mean. Most of these I have seen or heard of (don't have any money, sucks I know), and reading this I see the symbolism behind the gameplay. I've played all the GTA games except Vice City & the 2-D games. The difference between the earlier games and GTA4 is the character himself. In all the other games the character seemed so, so fake. They didn't have human emotions, but when they added the emotions of a human being the game changed dramatically. Claude was just your average hitman, he did what he was told. CJ was a former gang-banger who was forced back into crime by crooked cops, but he did what he was told. He didn't think for himself. In games like Bioshock (and all other FPS's for that matter), the character has no mind of their own they blindly follow orders without thinking first. They rush into battle blindly to complete a suicide mission, which no human being would ever attempt by themselves. I probably just trailed off and forgot the whole point of what I was saying, but this is long enough and whatever I said hopefully gets a point across. Great article Charlie, keep 'em coming.
  • Graham - October 15, 2008 9:04 p.m.

Nice read, I can really appreciate the idea of games tackling hard-to-swallow issues. I <3 shades of gray. =)
  • CptCHARLES - October 15, 2008 8:32 p.m.

Ha, Bioshock: Stem cell research. Funny
  • LuckyNumbr73 - October 15, 2008 7:51 p.m.

What about Banjo-Kazooie? Seriously watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpPnK2Bl0Pk
  • sarge_51 - October 15, 2008 7:30 p.m.

Wow... I wanna say that this is amazing. Very good choice of games here. It's a shame how the mature rating is only percieved as sex, blood, violence, etc. Great job.
  • ELpork - October 15, 2008 7:03 p.m.

I would have liked to see you KOTOR... That would have been intresting.
  • GreyDay - October 15, 2008 6:26 p.m.

One of the rare articles on GR that in of itself is "mature". Great job, Mr Barratt!
  • Corsair89 - October 15, 2008 5:48 p.m.

This is a fanatastic article. It explores the depth of "mature" games. Instead of the violence and sex which is what polititians, ignorant, and immature people only see. Hotel Dusk Room 215 would have been great for this list. It conveys maturity in the gripping story, the serious plot, and the depressing charactors. The whole game grips the feeling of sadness, loneliness, and complete obsession. The pencil graphite charactor graphics seem to convey that this game could easily have been an mystery novel. Hell, you hold the DS sideways like a book. The ending was sad and yet fulfilling.
  • odders - October 15, 2008 5:33 p.m.

top article, i love games that are solely aimed at adult gamers. Keep the mature games coming! Roll on God of War 3!!
  • Hexateuch - October 15, 2008 5:05 p.m.

I hate to be redundant, but Deus Ex definately had a lot of mature situations, especially political dilemas.
  • georgeg1994 - October 15, 2008 4:53 p.m.

saints row's plot twist was fairly immense
  • Slique - October 15, 2008 3:12 p.m.

What about Lost Odyssey? The funeral for Kaim's daughter is pretty damn emotionally heavy. And then there's the 100 Years of Dreams, too. One of those were absolutely heart-breaking!
  • jimsondanet - October 15, 2008 2:02 p.m.

what about fable?! yea i know its hardly deep thought provoking stuff, but its simple good or evil choice show's what really lies beneath the surface of us all (i know you went on a killing spree and enjoyed the sense of power! dont deny!) and yea the absent spoiler warning was a bit rank! a sequal would be well received on this most exemplary topic.
  • Sirprize - October 15, 2008 1:18 p.m.

Tactics. Xenogears. Word.
  • DarkSpidey - October 15, 2008 10:12 a.m.

This is probably the best article I've read on this site. I'm sure I played Shin Megami Tensei except in my country its called Lucifer's Call which kind of says it all :)
  • c4tuna - October 15, 2008 9:53 a.m.

Excellent article. I agree that Assassin's Creed deserves a mention (although it goes downhill from the revelation on). How about Disgaea? Though the issue is never overtly dealt with, it's HEAVILY implied that both of Laharl's parents kill themselves, and then end up helping him in mysterious ways. Among other things. I'd also support getting a Fallout up there. Myst? Portal? Both highly thought-provoking games.
  • Jason.Darksavior - October 15, 2008 9:41 a.m.

Nice Article, many many good points!
  • understudybass - October 15, 2008 4:08 a.m.

any game where you get 'used' could reasonably make this list (assassins creed and army of two come to mind) but i wouldn't say that they really are the essence of what Charlie is talking about. He hit the nail on the head when he put braid, which isn't even an M rated game, onto the list because of the subplots and the feeling of the game as a whole. Really, really interesting article. more like it!
  • EmoMuffin - October 15, 2008 3:32 a.m.

@Urock- The thing avout Fallout is that the player makes the decisions, not the writers. So even though it is deep, Fallout is more like a piece of paper to write a sory on, rather than a novel to read through. The maturity essentialy depends on the player's own maturity.