• nathstyles - June 29, 2011 4:21 p.m.

You make an excellent argument and i'm hovering over the rent button on lovefilm but just cant bring myself to click. Everything i've seen of this game makes it look unforgivably terrible (no i dont just mean graphically) and loveability alone just isnt pushing me over the edge - it really does sound like one of those games where the people who play it and can get past the bad parts form an obsessive cult - it clearly isn't the greatest game ever - that is a fact. But i just dont know if i can spend those hours of my life on a charmingly weird b-game.
  • jmj542 - June 29, 2011 3:23 p.m.

One of the greatest articles I have read on GamesRadar. I want to buy this game but I usually avoid very scary games.
  • BleedingHatMcGillicutty - June 29, 2011 3:20 p.m.

I'll play it if I can find it, but after watching that scene about the sandwich with awkward voice acting, bad music, and downright horrible animation I'm seriously doubting it's better than GTA or Resi. Although, Resi 5 was admittedly lackluster.
  • RonnyLive19881 - June 29, 2011 3:18 p.m.

Lol I have been saying all of this for just over a year! GR has really warmed up on me(despite hating Nintendo) since you started posting all the great articles/videos about Deadly Premonition! If you like Resi, Silent Hill, GTA, Shenmue, Heavy Rain, the Dreamcast classic illbleed and yes the mind frack that is the show Twin Peaks you HAVE TO play this game because it is simply made by one HELL of a game designer SWERY! I'm a hardcore Nintendo fanboy and my favorite games was Link's Awakening and my top ten list was completely full of Nintendo titles for years until Deadly Premonition came along... the game is THAT good it currentally rests at the top of my list Lol
  • jackthemenace - June 29, 2011 2:48 p.m.

I've been playing this in response to you banging on about it constantly hoots :P I've got to say, the game is balls. The Graphics are horrible, the controls are horrendous, and the script is like something out of a B-movie. Which is why I love it so much. Me, and one of the guys who won one of your Shadows of the Damned T-shirts, along with a few other mates, are trying to watch as MANY B-movies as we can. So HOW could I pass up an INTERACTIVE B-movie!? And the bad controls? At first, I thought they were crap. But, as I was playing it yesterday, I realised that the game works SO WELL as a Survival Horror, because it IS scary, and because it IS hard to survive. It's what makes DP (Giggity) such a brilliant horror game, and also one of the only games that has ever really, truly scared me.
  • mothbanquet - June 29, 2011 2:21 p.m.

Wow this is freaky. A mate of mine was saying exactly the same things that are in this article and was trying to convince me to give it a go just the other day. Must be fate.
  • GR_DavidHoughton - June 29, 2011 2:14 p.m.

I'm not sure. You'd be better taking it up with Ignition. They picked the 360 version up in the US.
  • Tyboy - June 29, 2011 2:04 p.m.

Curious...is there any known reason why this isn't on PS3 in North America?
  • bread_or_decide - June 29, 2011 1:51 p.m.

I think what people love most about DP is that it's a Dreamcast game at heart. It's the little things about the game that I really loved. The windshield wipers on the car, the turn signals, and the movie talk inside the car. The story was truly surprising and the final battles were on-going and built up to a truly satisfactory final battle; something most games have difficulty with in this day and age. I would set the difficulty to EASY so you can enjoy the game without some of the annoying fights along the way. Also, the sooner you get the automatic the better. Shot gun as well.
  • slayr - June 29, 2011 1:49 p.m.

the japanese version apparently has english audio, but then are all the written prompts etc in japanese? Coz that could be playable or just very frustrating?
  • ConnivingMango - June 29, 2011 1:45 p.m.

It's always awesome to see more support for Deadly Premonition! I'm currently trying to reccomend it to my friends to play, but they just can't get past the prologue without quiting. I understand it's not for everyone, but it's silly to pass judgement having only played such a small portion. Youtube clips out of context doesn't really help properly convey the game, so I'm at a loss. You'd think a real time beard growing mechanic would be enough for some people but nooooooo. Also, my first post so yay? :P
  • HereComesTheHypeTrainCHOOCHOO - June 29, 2011 1:38 p.m.

Good read Mr. Houghton although it is starting to sound like you have Stockholm Syndrome in regards to this game.
  • kodesy - June 29, 2011 1:27 p.m.

P.S. the reason I mentioned that....thank you DP for phone booths!
  • KidKatana - June 29, 2011 1:20 p.m.

Are me, Yaro, Clovin and slayr gonna be enough to start a petition to get the ps3 version released here? Any chance it could make it onto PSN? Dave, investigate please, your enthusiasm has infected me.
  • BMW89 - June 29, 2011 1:20 p.m.

You. Referenced. Brecht!? I...I don't know if I can handle this awesome.
  • slayr - June 29, 2011 12:56 p.m.

really do want... but only got a ps3 and the import prices are crazy... Did read there after a quick search that there was an ESRB rating for the ps3 version..not much help here in ireland tho...
  • Clovin64 - June 29, 2011 12:50 p.m.

Wait, I can import a PS3 version? Frickin' heck, the only reason I wasnt buying this on Dave's recomendation was because I thought it was a 360 exclusive. I'll have to get this now. Also, thanks for defending the clunky old Resi/Silent Hill tank controls. I'm has so many arguments in which I've tried to tell people that the controls are vital to the feeling of vurnability.
  • mockraven - June 29, 2011 12:47 p.m.

Good job! You made the game sound amazing and with well thought-out points. Too bad I'm terrible at shooters. Maybe the hubby will end up getting it so I can enjoy it vicariously through him.
  • Crofto - June 29, 2011 12:41 p.m.

@FauzFurry You're right to point out Destructoid and GameCritics as being supportive of this game for a while, but initially the first review for the game at GameCritics was negative (the reviewer has a very bad taste in games though, so that it went over his head isn't a big surprise) while Jim Sterling kinda mocks it as "so bad it's good" rather than for the actual reason(s) it's great. Don't get me wrong, I both respect Jim Sterling and the guys at Game Critics, but it's worth pointing out that not everyone appreciated the game in the way a lot of us DP fans do. It's clear David is on the same level as many of us, and I'm glad, even after over a year of the game being out, that he's still made the effort to write an article about it. @Yaro If you really REALLY want to play it -- and I say you should -- then, assuming you have a PS3, it's possible to import it from sites like Play-Asia. From what I hear the game can be played with English voices and subtitles, but item descriptions are in Japanese. Of course, it would have been better if Rising Star made it available on the PS3 in the West, and I honestly don't know why they restricted it to the 360. Heck, if it's going on Xbox Live then they may as well get it on PSN too.
  • JohnnySpazwhacker - June 29, 2011 12:25 p.m.

I've only read the first page but you've sold it to me already.