Topics

Microsoft

• bluscorp - November 2, 2010 8:31 p.m.

I can see it being fun, as you all say, if you've got company round(or your drunk), but apart from that i cant see the use of this with real games. I mean, say Konami had a Silent Hill made for it, it could only use Kinect to let the player run away, use a torch and hit things with pipes/bats, but you would'nt be able to just explore with it.
  • FoxdenRacing - November 2, 2010 8:22 p.m.

I'm waiting to see whether it does anything useful or remains a gimmick doomed to obscurity. The thing has a lot of potential. Imagine, if you will, RTS 2011, with Kinect integration. Select units by drawing a circle around them, teleprompter style. Use voice recognition to say 'attack', point where you want it to go, and say 'there' to lock it in. The screen would need a little laser pointer on it at all times to show where your finger is, or somesuch, but c'mon... If I'm going to be playing games with Kinect, I want it to be Minority Report or Iron Man [the recent movie, where he interacts with his screen by touching the air], not Wii Sports without a controller. There's plenty of potential here, don't waste it! I'd gladly pay $150 to play RTS games without needing a clunky controller-based interface.
  • elpurplemonkey - November 2, 2010 8:16 p.m.

Can't say I care about Kinect, but I definitely enjoyed this feature. It'll probably end up like the Wii- decent hardware but unimaginative/lazy developers that will result in mostly shovelware.
  • Yingsin - November 2, 2010 8:02 p.m.

I found waldo!
  • n00b - November 2, 2010 7:42 p.m.

you know, you guys said the same thing a lot of ppl said about the wii when it first came out. It was fun for a while based on the few games that came out and it was a wait and see to see what the developers would do with it. And look what they did with it. so i guess we'll just have to wait and see. waiting for child of eden though
  • Waldo - November 2, 2010 7:36 p.m.

It is going to be interesting to see where Kinect is going. I am impressed with the tech so I'd hate to see games stop evolving just because us hardcores love to mash the A button. I still wish we could skip a few steps and get right to the holodeck, but that would be bad for business wouldn't it? Kinect is going to be a hit with women and children, which nowadays have there own money to spend however they want. Any game that occupies my wife for a little while is worth double what Microsoft is asking for.
  • MichaelFlynn21 - November 2, 2010 7:36 p.m.

hahaha "I'm good at games!" made me lol
  • JakeyBaby - November 2, 2010 7:33 p.m.

Great article, I enjoyed it! :)
  • AlmightyFuzz - November 2, 2010 7:32 p.m.

I want to get Kinect.... eventually. Right now it just doesn't seem like a sensible purchase for me, as it's a lot of money and there is only one game I'm interested in, that being Child of Eden. (Also I'm flat broke...) I'm quite certain though that given time developers will come to understand Kinect much better and create things that use it to improve upon what they are able to do with games at the moment.
  • Onedown - November 2, 2010 7:29 p.m.

Like Jadenkotor said I'm not going to buy this for the games. The non-game things it can do are why I want it.
  • CoffeeForTheAdmiral - November 2, 2010 7:26 p.m.

I hate to bring down the curve (and up the estrogen), but that fluffy black cat thing was ADORABLE. I don't think I'll get Kinect, but I am hoping to get Move. It seems like Kinect has been trashed from the start though - is the bad reputation deserved? (Judging by the raft thing...yes, it is.)
  • AnonymouZ - November 2, 2010 7:04 p.m.

imma have to say it DON'T look like you're playing games. but ya... if you guys follow up and get used to the controllers, another vid of flailing arms around would be due. xD
  • Zepaw - November 2, 2010 7 p.m.

I can see myself getting one for the same reason as I had a Wii and DS. A vast majority of the games are utter garbage, but a few fun ones will make it seem (and hopefully be) worth it.
  • JADENkOTOR - November 2, 2010 6:58 p.m.

Im definitely getting Kinect but only for every other reason than gaming. The gaming on this is very gimmicky and not worth its weight in salt. Everything else about it is fucking awesome and I can't understand why a current 360 owner wouldn't pay 150 dollars for it? Unless you are minor and still live off your parents there is no reason not to pick one up.
  • ventanger - November 2, 2010 6:50 p.m.

Oh bother, you weren't bowled over by the INCREDIBLY COMPLEX MATH??!! Ugh. What depresses me the most is that even though we all know Kinect is kind of a piece of crap, the millions of dollars of advertising with the help of Oprah and Ellen will somehow convince everyone else otherwise, and real gamers, who know better, will in the end be on the wrong side of history... Ok.. maybe it's not THAT distopian but you get what I'm saying. We're going to see a lot of people being INSISTED into liking something that is, at best, one step forward and two steps back.
  • Howetzer - November 2, 2010 6:48 p.m.

Wow. I haven't even finished watching the videos yet, but I'm sorry I cannot help it, I think the guy standing in the floting river raft really sums up kinect for me (and yes I know I am not a Microsoft fan so take it with whatever the hell you morons want to, but) .....GAY. FUCKING GAY. Sorry for slandering the term "gay" with this garbage but I cannot come up with another adjective in this case.
  • Baron164 - November 2, 2010 6:46 p.m.

I still won't be picking a Kinect up until next year at the earliest. My Elite's 120gb drive is filling up so when I fill that up I imagine I'll pick up a new 360S. I know my wife will love the Kinect. Especially Dance Central and probably Kinect Adventures. As for me I'll stick to Gears of War and Halo. But at least I'll be able to use it as an excuse to buy a new 360 :-)
  • duanejensen - November 2, 2010 6:45 p.m.

sweet
  • KiwiCommander - November 2, 2010 6:44 p.m.

$150 so I can look like an idiot? No thanks, I can do that for free...
  • nadrewod999 - November 2, 2010 6:40 p.m.

I told you, Kinect can't connect with hardcore gamers. It only results in intermittent joy if it works, utter despair if it doesn't, and a $150 hole in your wallet that you could have used to buy 2 retail games and a few expansion packs for said games.