• obviouslyadouche - May 8, 2013 1:58 p.m.

I was enjoying P4g, until I got to a boss and realized I hadn't been grinding enough and there was no way for me to beat it, haven't gone back since.
  • Tyrande - May 8, 2013 1:54 p.m.

i'll have to include Final Fantasy VI. the characters are interesting and with plausible backgrounds, there are no emos in there (maybe a short depression somewhere), the story is great, the villain is awesome, he is just insane, he does things because he can and that's it! plus it's a steampunk theme they have there.
  • kpnut - May 8, 2013 12:40 p.m.

Only game I've played in this list is FFIX and Zidane does have an emo moment in teh game, but for a completely legitimate reason (in my opinion) because he has his soul taken.
  • kpnut - May 8, 2013 12:59 p.m.

*the hate it when I make that mistake
  • timeaisis - May 8, 2013 12:32 p.m.

FFIX, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound are the best games on that list. At some point, JRPGs got completely caught up with themselves and their importance. These games are the very antithesis of JRPG excess. Simple, but interesting stories. Enjoyable characters. Straightforward, but elegant mechanics. Oh, and might I add that when whoever wrote these games made something happen in the story, it always had a reason. The narrative structure, even though it was a video game, just works. Unlike some "into themselves" JRPGs like FFX that just through crazy twist after crazy twist for the sake of a "cool" plot. Ugh. And one last thing...none of these games take themselves too seriously and know that they are a video game. This is a factor that is severely missing in current generation video games (of all kinds) methinks.
  • agentkuo - May 8, 2013 12:14 p.m.

Earhtbound is the only one I've played on the list, and its one of the best RPG's ever made. I've played the demo for Valkyria Chronicles, and that game is an RTS with some RPG elements, so I don't think it counts. I'm not a fan of games like Final Fantasy and stuff, but Disgaea's kinda fun. Paper Mario should be on here, since its technically a JRPG.
  • Meleedragon27 - May 8, 2013 3:17 p.m.

As someone who doesn't care much for JRPGs, I wholly agree with your statement about how Paper Mario should be on here. Heck, I'd be willing to even add Super Mario RPG; they were all fun games (though I'll admit to not playing Sticker Star or Super Paper Mario... yet). As for Disgaea, as much as I enjoyed the gameplay (and I did), the grinding was terribly out-of-hand and the game became particularly difficult to enjoy because of that. I still have Disgaea 2 on my shelf, unopened because I really don't want to deal with another grindfest. Instead, I'll nominate that the JRPG haters play Final Fantasy Tactics/War of the Lions - The gameplay is very similar to Disgaea but with nowhere near as much grinding, plus I found the art direction in those games to be terrific. I'd... stay away from the Tactics Advance games, though.
  • The_Tingler - May 9, 2013 12:18 a.m.

Agree with Paper Mario, but I'd personally go for Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (or Bowser's Inside Story). I always preferred having both brothers and the clever ways to use their abilities, especially in combat.
  • Meleedragon27 - May 10, 2013 1:06 a.m.

Totally forgot about the M&L games! I never did get around to playing Bowser's Inside Story, but I have played SuperStar Saga and Partners in Time; both of which are great games that I'd also recommend to JRPG haters.
  • Sarah LeBoeuf - May 9, 2013 3:14 p.m.

Oh man! I had Paper Mario and cut it. The most recent game in the series was so light on RPG elements that it was hard to make the connection. I love the Paper Mario games though!
  • occasionalgoldfish - May 8, 2013 12:10 p.m.

I really need a vita and a ds to play these games. :L
  • The_Tingler - May 9, 2013 12:19 a.m.

A DS must cost around $40 or less by now!
  • pl4y4h - May 8, 2013 11:41 a.m.

I really should play chrono trigger one of these days huh?
  • agentkuo - May 8, 2013 12:14 p.m.

Same here. Really should get around to it.
  • The_Tingler - May 9, 2013 12:22 a.m.

Yes. I only played it on the DS recently for the first time and I couldn't put it down. You instantly meet one of the most lovable characters ever, and when she gets sucked into time and space there was no way in hell I wasn't going to save her!
  • TheValiantBob - May 8, 2013 11:31 a.m.

Dark Souls. It is a JRPG that could easily be advertised to the people that love the Metroidvania type exploration, classic Castelevania/Ninja Gaiden difficulty, and hack n' slash combat.
  • Mumb00 - May 8, 2013 10:36 a.m.

The only game I played from the Grandia franchise was the 2nd one on Dreamcast, but I should think that it deserves a place on a list like this due to the amount of strategy involved in the turn-based battle system. It's quite refreshing compared to the typical Ice-spell hurts Fire-elemental-enemy from so many similar games and it can make the otherwise dull nature of menu combat much more compelling since it gives you a reason to want to master it.
  • Tyrande - May 8, 2013 1:48 p.m.

i loved that combat system!!!! sadly nobody else copied it...
  • ZuzuPachulia - May 8, 2013 10:08 a.m.

Heck, all these games are still great for those who still LOVE JRPGs
  • Sarah LeBoeuf - May 9, 2013 3:15 p.m.

Agreed!