• RSQViper - October 21, 2014 9:39 a.m.

Child of Light. Talk about a great game. Not a JRPG fan, but I really enjoyed that game.
  • Sinsational - September 26, 2014 9:20 a.m.

"What non-fans might enjoy about Lost Odyssey is the combat, which puts a new twist on the typical turn-based formula. By attempting to match up two concentric rings during an attack, you’ll be an active participant in battle..." Weird... The Legend of Dragoon did that back in 2001, and better.
  • stfrancisboxer - September 25, 2014 3 p.m.

I'm happy to see valkyria chronicles on this. The game truly didn't get the attention it deserved
  • DrXela - June 25, 2014 7:40 p.m.

This may be a contentious suggestion, but what about Dark Souls? I normally hate RPGs and Dark Souls probably isn't a strict RPG, but it has RPG elements throughout. The gameplay and atmosphere made me love it.
  • steven-kelley - September 25, 2014 2:02 p.m.

JRPGs, not WRPGs.
  • Darklurkr23 - June 22, 2014 12:47 p.m.

Yea Tales of Symphonia is fantastic Lunar 1 & 2 are godlike Shadow Hearts Covenant is damn good (sez SOME too Japan kuwahy desu parts)
  • Tiranuuhl - June 22, 2014 12:20 p.m.

I'd recommend any of the "Tales of ____" games
  • Nintygameplayerperson - May 24, 2013 7:26 a.m.

Xenoblade was great. It has a huge world to explore and awesome British accents in the English voice track.
  • Fox_Mulder - May 13, 2013 5:57 p.m.

At least Ni No Kuni is featured in the end slide.
  • avery78 - May 12, 2013 11:18 a.m.

Final Fantasy 9 remains to this day, one of my favorite games of all time.
  • Eliittihemuli - May 12, 2013 4:34 a.m.

I was really expecting to see Dragon's Dogma on the list, the game deserves much more attention, especially now when the Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen came out.
  • keiichimorisato98 - April 9, 2014 11:06 a.m.

that is a WRPG through and through. sure it technically is a JRPG since it is made in Japan. but the game looks and plays like a WRPG.
  • Tulkastaldo - May 10, 2013 1:18 p.m.

I haven't played many JRPGS but really got into Shining Force II for genesis. I enjoyed how the characters "grew up", whether it be your main character growing from "swordsman" class to "Hero" class or the phoenix turning from a lame dodo-looking thing to a flaming, flying killer worthy of his name. and the art was anime-esque but a little more unique, at least in my view.
  • SDHoneymonster - May 10, 2013 6:47 a.m.

Think Lost Odyssey is actually a pretty bad choice - the whole point of it was to be as traditional as possible, so if you don't like old-school JRPGs you really won't enjoy it. I certainly didn't! Ni No Kuni would have been a good inclusion, more for the art style and Pokemon-esque combat than anything else.
  • keiichimorisato98 - April 9, 2014 11:08 a.m.

i like to recommend that game to children as like a "my first JRPG that ISN'T Pokemon" type scenario.
  • flipped100 - May 9, 2013 2:05 a.m.

Out of all the JPRGs out there, the one I would recommend to non-JPRG fan would have to be Suikoden II. Sure, it has turn based battles, but they normal encounters take less than a minute to kill thanks to that auto battle system (because we all know that grinding for higher levels is such a chore and sometimes a turn off). That complete with the actually believable storyline, fun character recruitment, it's absolutely charming. And I'm sorry, the cooking battles minigame is STILL the most fun and most entertaining minigame I've played ever.
  • Talvari - May 9, 2013 1:38 a.m.

I'd probably start someone off with something like FFXIII-2, Tales of Vesperia / Graces or Lost Odyssey. Give them the option of turn based, real time turn based or legit real time.
  • keiichimorisato98 - April 9, 2014 11:09 a.m.

one should play XIII-2 until they have beaten the first XIII game, as the story from the previous game is important.
  • avantguardian - May 8, 2013 10:57 p.m.

i dunno. convincing anyone without a boner/nostalgia for 16 bit games that old rpgs are the place to start seems like a stretch to me, regardless of their perceived quality. i imagine you'd have to have some hook, like awesome graphics or persona's maturity and cheekiness, to get them invested. then, before they know it, they're grinding for that skill, or piece of equipment or story (or persona fusion!), and loving every minute of it. i would also echo those that have suggested star ocean, or any others with a nice real(ish)time combat system. would help smooth the transition.
  • The_Tingler - May 9, 2013 12:14 a.m.

Don't really think so, it comes down to the games themselves. I couldn't care less about SNES games and despite everyone saying how great it is Final Fantasy VI left me cold - but I played both Earthbound and Chrono Trigger recently and loved them all the way to the end.