• jeremycarrier - December 6, 2013 7:46 a.m.

The last time a couple quickly ditched its failing console for another one, obliterating consumer trust, losing them hundreds of millions of dollars they've invested in the game, further confusing developers and their fans alike, it was Sega. They're out of the console business now. The Wii-U is what it is. Its gonna be another Gamecube, about 20 million sales in 5-6 years of life. All they can do now is keep making great games like 3D World, Wonderful 101, and Pikmin 3, and ride this shit out to its natural shelf life. Making Nintendo just like the other two is a stupid idea, anyway. There's absolutely no promise whatsoever third parties would be HAPPY to make games for them now when they don't even give them 360/PS3 ports now. They didn't make new games for the best-selling console of the generation in the Wii. They didn't make as many games for the GC as they did for the Xbox/PS2 despite it being on the same wavelength technology wise.
  • Pillfy - December 6, 2013 10:17 a.m.

This post saved me a lot of typing; I agree with all your points. Maybe if Wii U had been a powerful console on par with PS4 from the start things would be different. It might have had some of that next-gen magic that gets people to buy a console even when it has hardly no worthy games (like PS4 and Xbone now). It would have had the first games showing off that power, the best looking versions of third party games during that first year. Imagine Pikmin 3, 3d World, Wind Waker, and Wonderful 101 looking better than anything people had seen before, not just looking finally 'as good'. They could have kept the gamepad and still shipped the system at $500. I think they would have a much bigger install base and therefore, an actual head start, if they had done that. But for all the reasons you mentioned, it is too late to go that route now.
  • StrayGator - December 6, 2013 7:29 a.m.

If they release a latecomer powerhouse console, I suggest they'd call it Nintendo-Geo.
  • Swedish_Chef - December 6, 2013 7:15 a.m.

Don't know how many times people have to of over this. The main reason the Wii-u failed was because the marketing for it was so bad that most people didn't even know it was a brand new console and not just a Wii add on. IMO They should just lower the price by about $50 + advertise it a bit more and it should be good, it doesn't have to compete with the other systems and it probably won't have a very long life cycle but if Nintendo can convince enough people to buy them for the big exclusive titles being released on it then it won't have been a failure and they'll still earn a profit thanks to the 3DS' popularity. I'm currently saving up to get one right now and I should have enough to buy one around Christmas, I hope Nintendo manages to turn things around for the system like they did with the 3DS because it does seem to genuinely deserve attention.
  • Talvari - December 6, 2013 7:09 a.m.

I have to agree with Cyberninja on this one. While it's obvious the Wii U is in a pretty rough spot right now, I don't think anyone can deny that, I don't think it's time to straight up say pack it up and go try again when the console has only seen the light of day for a single year. I've had my Wii U since January and I think that while it's a pretty great alternative to the other consoles right now, and pretty nice technology in general, it's just got ten such a bad rep throughout its first years for droughts and price that most "core" gamers just don't care about it any more, despite it being a lot cheaper than the other options (Can save £130 over a PS4 and £230 over Xbox One). I think that Nintendo should focus on making better use of the gamepad and marketing their games...in general. In the UK i haven't seen one advert for 3D world or Wii Party U or even Zelda on 3DS. Now is the perfect time to be marketing the new mario but who likes money right? ;_; I have trouble conveying thoughts a lot of the time but I guess it just seems too early for this type of article to be flat out saying "sorry Nintendo try again". I agree that Nintendo need to do a lot to make any sort of comeback and it's mostly their fault for bad advertising and not selling the really cool features like off screen play via adverts and website marketing and instead just making adverts that are aimed at kids and not making a fair share of adverts aimed at core, but maybe wait until summer next year when the rest of their core games are out and potentially a lot of announcements are made via Nintendo directs. It could be too late by then but at least the game library will increase.
  • Shoal - December 6, 2013 6:59 a.m.

Somehow it doesn't seem right to suggest that Nintendo just throw in the towel and try to compete directly with Sony and Microsoft. It would probably lose its soul if it tried, and would likely fail as well. One thing, for example, that I have always appreciated about Nintendo is that, relatively speaking, it's had much more concern over inappropriate content than its competitors. It has a cleaner image. But it does need to change its strategy in regards to the home console. I don't know what it should do, but it needs to do SOMETHING. The Wii U is practically a joke at this point and Nintendo itself doesn't seem far behind. Perhaps it's time for Nintendo to give up the living room and focus primarily on its handhelds while also publishing games for the PS4 and One.