• usmovers_02 - July 12, 2010 7:59 p.m.

10/10's should be less common than goty's IMHO.
  • Ensoul - July 12, 2010 7:52 p.m.

Like many have said before GotY Edition simply means to me, more stuff (sometimes) cheaper price. I imagine because the "Cheap Ass Gamer Edition" doesn't have the same ring; and anything with a Bargain-easque name has already been taken by the "Platinum" type games.
  • Spybreak8 - July 12, 2010 7:51 p.m.

I knew it was kinda crazy before but this article makes me sad lol. I think the main thing is the marketing way of telling you all that DLC that people paid way too much for is in this game at the same price they all paid way back when. Unfortunately I'm part of the group that over paid in the beginning and got the game on day one lol.
  • CH3BURASHKA - July 12, 2010 7:23 p.m.

To me, 'GotY' simply means 'More stuff in the box for the same price as a year ago', which I can live with. Any meaningful title in any industry has been exploited; all that's left is deciphering the meaning.
  • ExoticPoptart - July 12, 2010 7:15 p.m.

I've never actually bought a GOTY edition of a game, mainly because I buy most games I want when the come out. They really should have an industry standard for what games get to put GOTY on their boxes. Just because some random blogger in his mom's basement thinks some game is GOTY, it doesn't mean that game should get GOTY plastered all over the cover.
  • Metroidhunter32 - July 12, 2010 6:34 p.m.

Unless GR says it's GOTY or I'm trying to convince a friend of it, It's not Game of the year.
  • FNG - July 12, 2010 6:28 p.m.

I like how he says GOTY's should be like 10/10's, but this website has already given out 5 this year.
  • ZiegZeon - July 12, 2010 6:26 p.m.

I don't think the game companies are doing enough. We need game of the month/week/day damnit! And with all the DLC being released the same day as the game, it may be worth it...
  • Defguru7777 - July 12, 2010 6:26 p.m.

Maybe if they do like Resident Evil 5 did, and release a "Gold" Edition. That way they get to release all of the bonus stuff without flaunting the GOTY title. Also, I lost focus of what this article was about when I saw Golden Sun listed. I forget how much I love that game sometimes.
  • CrashmanX - July 12, 2010 5:57 p.m.

Anymore GoTY just means "Includes all/a lot of DLC" Its unfortunate but its true. If you notice almost all of the "GoTY" games include at least some extra DLC.
  • AnonymouZ - July 12, 2010 5:45 p.m.

i get game of the year editions cuz in pc land that usually mean they got the whole game... aka all those damn dlcs.
  • Tenfey - July 12, 2010 5:25 p.m.

I pretty much never pay attention to what awards any given game has won, since there are just so many publications and websites out now that you're bound to find someone who liked the game a lot.
  • HotCyder - July 12, 2010 5:13 p.m.

I do think it's important to award games with an accolade like game of the year when they're deserving of such, but a lot of niche titles would be better off getting titles like "innovative pc game of the year" or "Rts of the year."
  • Woodsey - July 12, 2010 5:04 p.m.

It's never held any meaning to me. If I'm going to buy a game I'm going to buy it, I don't need it to say GotY from one publication, only to see 20 other games with the same title from 20 other publications.
  • garnsr - July 12, 2010 4:58 p.m.

I waited a whole year to pick up Fallout 3 in the GotY version, and most of them take about a year to come out, so maybe they mean Game of the Year of Waiting.
  • JohnnyMaverik - July 12, 2010 4:54 p.m.

The only people who get taken in by this crap are the people who don't do any research, the kind of people who think checking reviews involved hitting a game up on metacritic and glancing at it's average score, with out even looking at any individual scores with their quotes, let alone actually reading a bloody review. I don't mind GOTY editions since if I'm yet to purchase a game a year after it's released, and a GOTY edition comes out with a load of extra stuff, that's great for me, but I'm buying it for the extra shit and because I already wanted to play it, not just because it's called GOTY edition, that doesn't even factor into it.
  • sgloomy - July 12, 2010 4:49 p.m.

I Dont really pay attention to the GOTY crap, if I like a game, everyone else can hate it for all i care but that almost never happens, if i like a game, a lot of people like that game, and on a side note, PVZ is AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!
  • RedOutlive10 - July 12, 2010 4:46 p.m.

I don't buy into this GOTY label. TES IV: Oblivion was extremely bland to me, no way I would qualify it as that.
  • Wriggly - July 12, 2010 4:41 p.m.

This article because Borderlands is getting a GotY version? It was a good game but not GotY, like the games you listed for Plants VS. Zombies, it had a lot to go up against.
  • Clovin64 - July 12, 2010 4:38 p.m.

Sorry to DP, but just a thought: Maybe the Game of the Year should be voted for by gamers of all platforms and games sites/mags? A bit like the Golden Joystick awards?