Topics

SOPA

We Recommend

• jackthemenace - January 18, 2012 8:10 a.m.

Well, tell us Houghters, what ELSE can we folks outside of the US do to help prevent the bill? Because I seriousy hate sitting and waiting -.-
  • CitizenWolfie - January 18, 2012 8:26 a.m.

There are some e-petitions that people outside of the US that people can sign. For instance in the UK - http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/26143 I'm sure that's only one of many though.
  • BladedFalcon - January 18, 2012 11:12 a.m.

cool, does any of you, by chance, know if there's an e-petition like that for Mexico? I know ours will be much less significant... But I still want to do SOMETHING against this piece of shit bill.
  • CitizenWolfie - January 18, 2012 1:16 p.m.

I just did a quick search but nothing jumped out for Mexico specifically. Maybe try Googling "International petition against SOPA" or something like that. A lot of governments now have sections for e-petitions on their websites so maybe check the official Mexican Government site as well?
  • BladedFalcon - January 18, 2012 1:39 p.m.

Pffft... Good one, the Mexican Government site sucks ass XD If there's one national site I am NOT gonna find a petition in, it's there. Wouldn't be surprised if it's been years since they have updated anything in years at those government sites XD Still, thanks for the suggestion, i think I'll have better luck searching for those international petitions, thanks for the tips!
  • CitizenWolfie - January 18, 2012 8:07 a.m.

"When life gives you lemons, don't make Lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR DAMN LEMONS WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! I'M GONNA GET MY ENGINEERS TO INVENT A COMBUSTIBLE LEMON that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!" That's exactly how I feel about SOPA/PIPA. But ironically, I wouldn't be allowed to say that anymore.
  • gazdog9 - January 18, 2012 7:56 a.m.

PIPA's arse looked amazing in that dress. Was SOPA the other bridesmaid ?
  • Asloveszuko - January 18, 2012 9:36 a.m.

Now that I've signed a petition and told my friends about the bill, I can say, all seriousness of the matter aside, thats pretty friggin' funny! Kudos!
  • Sinosaur - January 18, 2012 7:54 a.m.

The fact that a journalist in the UK has legitimate reasons to be worried about this legislation just underlines how absurd it is. Aside from the fact that SOPA and PIPA are as offensive as the Patriot act in terms of how far they go against the ideals of America, they'd probably end up doing just as much harm to the ultimate goal of stopping piracy which is getting people to actually buy shit. There is a ton of media that I would never have even known existed if it wasn't for people who could be shut down with this legislation. Youtube videos have turned me on to TV shows and movies that I've then gone out and purchased or watched on the TV, or games that I decided I just needed to play.
  • Darkhawk - January 18, 2012 7:44 a.m.

I used to take an arrow in the knee, but then Wa! Wa! WAHOOOOOO! It's-a-me! Bond, James Bond. !!!!! What was that noise? Follow the Yellow Brick Road, The Long and Winding Road that leads to copyright infringement
  • ThatGuyFromTV - January 18, 2012 7:41 a.m.

That's nowhere close to a worst-case scenario. that's about an average expected scenario. The worst-case scenario is that Congress takes down any site they don't like by "planting" incriminating links and videos on the site to justify taking them down. And to everyone who thinks this is crazy? Hell, doing this kind of shit is their job. Misquoting people beyond belief to demonize them, attacking people in campaigns instead of building their own credibility... hell, they tried to sell a fucking Congress seat to the highest bidder. If this bill passes, it won't just be internet censorship. It could, and may very well would, mean outright government control. God bless america, right up to the point where its Congress runs it into the ground.
  • OneWithWaves - January 18, 2012 7:30 a.m.

Is GamesRadar still planning on covering E3 this year despite the ESA's support of SOPA?
  • ThatGuyFromTV - January 18, 2012 10:07 a.m.

With the amount of copyrighted stuff there? If this bill passes I'd be surprised if anyone tries to cover it.
  • Lurkero - January 18, 2012 6:32 a.m.

The moment Youtube and Facebook go down is the moment the internet breaks
  • CitizenWolfie - January 18, 2012 8:11 a.m.

Society would probably find it easier to rebuild after nuclear war than if YouTube and Facebook went down
  • soggysage - January 18, 2012 6:11 a.m.

The US Government really can't stupid enough to pass SOPA in its current form can it? I mean wanting to stop internet piracy is something I can get behind but this would break the internet full stop.
  • BladedFalcon - January 18, 2012 7:59 a.m.

"The US Government really can't be stupid enough" Um... you really don't want to test that statement...
  • ThatGuyFromTV - January 18, 2012 10:11 a.m.

Take a second to think about the stupid shit the US government has done, then read that statement again. Remember, this is the same government that's run by people that try to sell open Congress seats. They are quite clearly stupid enough to try to pull something like this. Take it from someone who lives there.
  • MattOfSteel - January 18, 2012 6:09 a.m.

Forget SOPA. We'll build our own internet! With BlackJack and hookers ... in fact, forget the blackjack.
  • perdedor - January 18, 2012 7:28 a.m.

+1000
  • hellodesdemona - January 18, 2012 6 a.m.

"THE CAKE IS A LIE!" EMULATION DOWNLOAD FREE GAME HERE EA SPORTS MASS EFFECT PREVIEW ON YOUTUBE hahahahhahaha! I am so evil, I just shut down your site! GWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
  • taokaka - January 18, 2012 6:18 a.m.

No don't do that. Oh crap, just realized my user name and profile pic could get this sight in trouble, from now on refer to me as "name01" and I'll change my profile picture to a square of my choice of colour.