Topics

Nintendo

• Splash676 - July 28, 2011 8:38 p.m.

Woot free games! Cant wait to download them all. Anyone knows when we will be able to download them;
  • LairosTall - July 28, 2011 7:58 p.m.

Hmm... A 33% price drop seems a bit much. @Defguru7777 agreed.
  • Burdmayn - July 28, 2011 7:22 p.m.

I honestly think that Nintendo may finally be on the right track here. They've got the 3DS coming down to a price that really gives consumers no reason to buy a regular DS, they've got big games coming out for it this fall, and even more slated for next year. That all being said, this article is absolutely right about how they botched the launch. I remember how excited I was when I first saw the 3DS, I sat here imagining the world's best launch line-up that never was. I bought my 3DS on day one and couldn't stop playing it. I showed my friends how cool it was, and convinced at least 3 people to buy one within launch week. Months later, my 3DS is playing regular DS games and downloading whatever free stuff that Nintendo throws my way as an apology for buying it so early. Even the much sought after Eshop is failing to encourage me to give Nintendo more of my money. All of that being said, I'm glad to see that they're trying to make it up to people like me. I really feel like 3DS has a chance now to be competitive with, or even beat the PSVita. With a low price point, more powerful technology, and a growing list of added features and games, the 3DS can be Nintendo's best handheld yet. It just seems like they need to get their heads around how to market it and keep that third party support they're trying so hard to grab.
  • eliguy83 - July 28, 2011 7:12 p.m.

@Nintendo: Drop the price once more–to $99.99–and make the games free to everyone, and I'll consider buying one tomorrow :) captcha: Governor Estalis. I'll expect to see this person either in real life on the news or in the next Squenix game.
  • stavros45 - July 28, 2011 7:01 p.m.

@maxmorrow Generally speaking blogs like Kotaku and Destructoid (the later of which I recently discontinued reading) have been throwing the word out like crazy. Regardless of intention, which I realize is the focus of these posts, plans change. Consider the point raised by D0CCON a few comments earlier. Even the DS launch was lackluster (remember the Mario 64 port and a Madden game?), and Nintendo was making "promises" for future games. With patience, those games were delivered. Even before the 3DS launched it was made clear there wasn't going to be a huge selection of games available until later this year, of which so far Nintendo is the only developer who hasn't pushed back or cancelled any games. My point being (sorry for going a bit off track) if these bloggers want to grab Nintendo's attention along with other developers, stop making it sound like gamers are ungrateful bastards who cry because they didn't get their bottle.
  • Moondoggie1157 - July 28, 2011 6:55 p.m.

I'm not the kind of guy to say "I todaso" but I fucking todaso... Vita for president (Prime minister).
  • Aletheon - July 28, 2011 6:51 p.m.

This generation of gamers makes it embarrassing to be associated with them in any way. They are: Selfish, whiny, unrealistic, impatient, spoiled, uninformed, cultic, uncool, trendy and overall stupid.
  • Azralph13 - July 28, 2011 6:24 p.m.

Such a naive article!! You can tell its written by a "core gamer". Simple fact is economics. Most "core gamers" dont play handhelds anyway and £200plus is waaay to much to spend on a kids handheld. The Ds sold the most units at just over £100, a very affordable price for a kids present.
  • Clovin64 - July 28, 2011 6:20 p.m.

My 3DS is currently getting a lot of use right now, but there isnt many games down the line that interest me. 3DS needs some Pokemon. A REAL Pokemon game, not a crappy Pokedex.
  • HereComesTheHypeTrainCHOOCHOO - July 28, 2011 6:18 p.m.

Brilliant article as usual Mr. Houghton. Somebody give this guy a raise. I'd also like to add that consumers have been conditioned by Nintendo to wait a year or so for a more refined, superior version of launch hardware when it comes to handheld systems. The Gameboy Advance had a terrible, terribly lit screen that was rectified with the release of the backlit GBA SP. The DS was surpassed in every way with the DS Lite coming out shortly after the DS was plopped out. It is safe to assume that many potential buyers of the 3DS (myself included) are not only waiting for decent NEW software to arrive, but they are waiting for the inevitable superior hardware revision that will actually come with a usable battery life before taking the dive. This price cut is nice but it still won't get me aboard until the 3DS Lite is launched. Capcom has burned their fighting game fans this same way (SF4,SSF4,SSF4:AE, Marvel VS Capcom 3, Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3)so I fully expect Capcom to have to learn the hard way that after years of taking advantage of your fans by reselling them the same product but with minor yet wanted features, they will eventually adapt and hold off for the next version.
  • killorabbit - July 28, 2011 6:15 p.m.

This news came a little too late. I purchased mine yesterday.
  • maxmorrow - July 28, 2011 5:56 p.m.

@stavros45 I think in the case of this article "promise" is used in the sense of "indication of future excellence or achievement" rather than "a declaration that something will or will not be done". Haven't read all the blogs you're talking about, but I wonder if some of them were using the word in that sense as well.
  • D0CCON - July 28, 2011 5:52 p.m.

This is a good article with good points, but I'd like to remind people how much we thought the DS would suck and it took awhile to get going too. Hopefully the same story holds true to the 3DS and it's just going through some (very long) birthing pains right now.
  • stavros45 - July 28, 2011 5:25 p.m.

The problem I keep seeing from every major blog is the use of the word "promise". When exactly did Nintendo promise us first party releases on launch day beyond Pilotwings or Nintendogs? They even delivered Ocarina of Time within the originally referenced launch window. They've kept up with what they clearly intended to ship. As for third-party developers, it's not on Nintendo to make promises of when those games will ship. Maybe if everyone was a little more patient and assume less, this wouldn't seem like such a catastrophe. Yes, the launch is lacking, and the price was steeper than necessary. So now that Nintendo is trying to correct its mistakes, the action is being viewed as desperate. Seriously? Grow up and stop whining.
  • CitizenWolfie - July 28, 2011 5:17 p.m.

I hope the price drop encourages Ninty to buck up and gamers to pick it up. I do like my 3DS but I totally agree with this article. Of all the launch games only SSFIV took my fancy and I've only played it a few times as I didn't like the controls and I still can't get used to hand-held beat em ups. Then OoT came along and I've been playing it more again. But as David H said, it's not enough. This launch has been terrible. I think any Nintendo console launched without either a new Zelda or Super Mario (a proper one) on day one seems doomed to fail. Maybe if some of the later Wii games mentioned were ported to the 3DS (Donkey Kong etc) at launch I might not have been so disappointed.
  • mikeleddy83 - July 28, 2011 5:13 p.m.

Having bought a system for about £180 on launch and now knowing the ambassador program runs world wide and an expected new price of £150 isn't £20 - £30 worth it for 10 nes games and 10 gba games (of pretty good quality by the looks of it - see GoNintendo). That begs one new question, if home console NES games are offered then are we going to see SNES games a lot sooner than anticipated?
  • Pepsuber88 - July 28, 2011 5:12 p.m.

@TheRandomFool My prediction is that Android/Apple will win everything in the very long run stands. because having an android phone is way cheaper than having a so-so phone and a handheld machine.
  • reuben0110 - July 28, 2011 5:11 p.m.

@shawksta I couldn't agree with you more, people have to learn that good things come to those who wait.
  • wrayday - July 28, 2011 5:08 p.m.

I was going to purchase a shiny new 3DS until I realized the entirety of their launch lineup consisted mainly of ports, and down the road more ports. When I see a new systems lineup with nothing new and only ports I see that as a giant warning sign that something is not right. Either Nintendo did not release the dev kits early enough, coding on the machine is difficult, or like usual they f'ed over their 3rd party developers (wii mote plus anyone?). I hope Nintendo can get it all sorted out before they go the route of SEGA.
  • taterboob - July 28, 2011 5:03 p.m.

Another thing that may be contributing to lagging sales also ties in to the DS, DSlite, DSi, DSiXL point that Mr. Houghton made in the article. I have seen a lot (I mean, a LOT) of comments throughout the interwebs of people saying that they're waiting for the inevitable "3DSlite", or whatever the eventual upgrade will be called. I honestly think that's another way Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with the constant hardware upgrades. DSlite solved the ugly, unwieldly design problem of the launch DS. They probably should have left it at that.