Topics

DLC

• KA87 - June 22, 2012 7:10 a.m.

DLC= The worst thing to happen to gaming ever (it can be debated, but it is still in the top 3). They use to sell entire games that were well made and now they sell partial games and release the rest of the game on DLC. Let’s start a movement to end DLC before it kills video games and forces us to go back to playing High Ho the Cheerio because we can’t afford the DLC to complete the game.
  • Shadow Of Death - June 22, 2012 8:02 a.m.

DLC is fine when it isn't content obviously cut from the release. I have no problem dropping $5 to $20 on content if it's worth it. Case and point, the Shivering Isles expansion on Oblivion. The upcoming DLC for Skyrim definitely looks worth it (I'd guess $15?). Capcom is notorious about this. All they're changing with their new "Not on disc" policy is that you'll download stuff that they would normally have put on the disk. So yeah, their idea of a policy change is to make it worse really (same content you'd get disk locked, only you have to DL it).
  • robertpopovic - June 22, 2012 10:23 a.m.

I was actually browsing through the Vita section for UMvC3 and was 'shocked' that you'd still have to pay for Jill&Shuma-something. Totally put me off of buying it.
  • CrashmanX - June 23, 2012 12:38 p.m.

Agreed. Though I won't be buying anything else from Bethesda after what they did to Interplay, I can agree with what you're saying. If it's not obviously cut content then I'm fine with it. If it's content that was planned but didn't have time to be implemented (Last minute decision) and they charge like $5 to $10 for it, I'm cool with it. But what Capcom does, no. That's not cool.
  • Shadow Of Death - June 22, 2012 6:04 a.m.

There is that Train Simulator game (Railworks 3). The base game + All the DLC works out to be about $2070. Don't forget about MMOs, especially F2P MMOs, who have $0 base price, but if you got all the microtransactions and expansions (if there are any), it'll be jacked up very high. Especially since at least some items would be re-purchaseable (EXP/Money/ETC boosts).
  • robertpopovic - June 22, 2012 5:46 a.m.

It's a pity that I forgot the name, but isn't there a train simulator that has extemely expensive DLC, eventually going into the thousands for the entire thing? Oh and of course the 100 dollar racing car for a Ridge Racer game I think it was :P
  • jamie5lpm - June 22, 2012 5:50 a.m.

What about Peter Ms game he was talking up at e3 with the 10,000dollar pickaxe lol
  • jamie5lpm - June 22, 2012 5:45 a.m.

1st comment on here but I had to say something about this, you should have tried to include Forza motorsport 4 which me and my friend say we have "invested" in rather than paid for. After buying the limited edition for around £70, plus the season pass (over 2000ms points), plus the porsche expansion, plus the 6 more dlc packs to come this game has reached nearly £160 or more! However it must be said it is a damn fine game and I love all my cars siiting there looking pretty. Also Justin if you have any contacts please please please tell Turn10 to forget adding more cars for now and give us more Rims and Bodykits for the cars! Much love GR you all rock.
  • potpan0 - June 22, 2012 5:12 a.m.

It's funny how people rip into COD and Activision for releasing so much DLC for money, whereas games like Oblivion and LBP, which don't have this, cost a lot more.
  • CrashmanX - June 22, 2012 7:45 a.m.

But neither of those require that you have a specific DLC to play online. Even LBP tells you that when you join a specific level that you don't have the DLC required and will need to purchase it in the store to get access to it for your own use.
  • ihopethisisnotantistasblood - June 22, 2012 8:18 a.m.

neither does cod, you can play online without the dlc
  • TheLeagueOfNinjaSquirrels - June 22, 2012 5:12 a.m.

This is why I hate what DLC. Why sell a full game when you can release the rest of it for double the price.
  • CrashmanX - June 22, 2012 7:44 a.m.

Some cases sure, other cases (Like that of LBP) it's fine. Even with it's monsterous price tag, are you honestly going to buy ALL those costumes? I mean I know I've put at least an additional $40 into my LBP experience between 1 and 2 because of Costumes and levels, and I regret none of it.
  • taokaka - June 22, 2012 4:43 a.m.

I was going to calculate how much it would cost us Australians to get all of littlebigplanet's dlc and laugh at your idea of expensive but once I loaded the list of dlc on psn I just gasped at how much there was, 314 pieces of dlc not including avatars, themes and the games themselves. I'm not going to bother with the rigorous calculations but I will applaud you for figuring out the cost.
  • Hobogonigal - June 22, 2012 5:50 a.m.

By comparing gaming products in Aus to those in England, on average I have found that Australian products are 1.38 times more expensive. If we use this on Little Big Planet, the total comes to about $650 AU (with an exchange rate of $1.55 for every £1). Expensive huh?
  • Contrendo - June 22, 2012 4:38 a.m.

Why didn't you include Rock Band 3? That would have been over $4,000!
  • Turtman - June 22, 2012 5:39 a.m.

He's right
  • jmcgrotty - June 22, 2012 9:28 a.m.

It was the ONLY title I knew would be in this list. I was surprised as hell it wasn't included. Just for dramatic effect, if nothing else... absolutely no justification except laziness. Or just the probably correct assumption that Rock Band isn't anyones favorite game?
  • antideus - June 22, 2012 9:54 a.m.

I strongly agree.
  • Gameguy151 - June 23, 2012 4:34 a.m.

It's one of my favorites. But yeah, i've spent about $500 on Rock Band over the course of two years, and i've only got about a tenth of it's DLC. There's been a new track pack released every single tuesday since November of 2007.
  • Radimir - June 22, 2012 4:29 a.m.

Should have included Team Fortress 2. Could see that breaking at least $1,000.