Topics

high horse

• Misterscaryface - November 25, 2011 5:32 p.m.

If you tolerate this, then your framerates will be next. This article just got an A+ from me for the Manic Street Preachers reference, brilliant.
  • Y2Ken - November 26, 2011 1:54 a.m.

Haha, yes I did enjoy that reference. Nice one Dave!
  • rob_one - November 25, 2011 3:34 p.m.

After clicking on the video, a sponsor message appears advertising Skyrim. Followed immediately by: "Hi, I'm Tim Clark, editor in chief at Future Games, and this is the second part in my series provisionally entitled, oh my god, why does Skyrim run so choppy on PS3?" And not one person at Future Games thought this might come across as a little bit weird? I'm not sure Bethesda are going to be advertising with you guys for much longer! All things considered, looks like they screwed up though. A game should not be borderline unplayable.
  • FathomlessBlue - November 25, 2011 2:42 p.m.

I love the fact that to get to the video showing Skyrim's PS3 lagging, I had to watch a Xbox 360 trailer of the game. Even the advertisment companies are in on the trolling! O.o Oh, and great article Dave!
  • EmperorRadish - November 25, 2011 2:45 p.m.

Lols, I was just about to post the exact same thing!
  • kingsmikefan - November 25, 2011 2:07 p.m.

Truth from Daid Houghton again. This guy is quickly becoming one of my favorite game writers.
  • coyoteDUSTER - November 25, 2011 1:43 p.m.

This article is 100% correct. No matter what the topic of a video game forum might be, it's gauranteed to morph into a bunch of fanboys crying at each other.
  • jackthemenace - November 25, 2011 1:24 p.m.

Wow. Very Poignant. Thanks, Dave, that's put a fair bit in perspective :) I will never Fanboy Rage again, unless it's at Ninja Theory screwing over DmC even more. Nine Divines bless you, GamesRadar UK.
  • BladedFalcon - November 25, 2011 1:17 p.m.

Huh... It feels as if this article was directly targeted at people exactly like db1331, who were being trolls and idiots when the last high horse was released. I agree with this article trough and trough, and i must also accept that sometimes I can behave as a dick myself. if often try to be fair, but still, the fanboy mentality can be infectious, and sometimes wake up articles are good reminders that as fellow gamers we should support each other if something goes wrong, not point fingers, insult or laugh at someone else's tragedy. However, if someone's being a dickwad or an idiot, am i wrong to point that out and mock such a person? Because I think that's usually what I end up doing most of the time >>
  • UberNoob - November 25, 2011 2:03 p.m.

Remember the Skyrim: PS3 Lag article, where you called me a desperate troll? You took my response about the Wii being better than the PS3 the wrong way when it was obviously a joke... Misconceptions happen. I myself have mad mistakes like that, but it's best if we get the point clear first before we make such assumptions or conclusions. A simple "Are you serious?" is fine enough for me, rather than "Desperate troll is desperate"...
  • BladedFalcon - November 25, 2011 2:11 p.m.

Ah! I do remember your comment. And well... you're right about it. I mean, honestly it does sound like a joke, but the problem is that a lot of times it's not that easy to distinguish sarcasm from a comment being completely serious in written form. Add to that that I've read even more absurd serious comments in the past, and well, i made the mistake of thinking yours was serious right off the bat. You ARE correct in that the mature way for me to have handled that was to ask if you were actually being serious about rather than automatically make fun of you. For that I apologize, and i WILL try to to that approach for comments like that from now on. So yeah, thanks for letting me know as well ^^
  • UberNoob - November 25, 2011 2:17 p.m.

Yeah, I should be more clear in that. Adding /sarcasm only takes a few seconds... Lesson learned.
  • BladedFalcon - November 25, 2011 2:19 p.m.

Hey, *rolls eyes* also works nicely, in my opinion XD
  • romaules - November 25, 2011 1:07 p.m.

you say its not right to blame all your problems because your "not playing the right system". yet developers cut corners BECAUSE they develop for console. consoles are easy money for them, as long as they got half decent looking (for someone siting on a sofa far from there screen, if you look closer like say, moniter distance, the field of view will be headache inducing and the textures will look like shit) game they know that consoleites will buy it up.
  • BladedFalcon - November 25, 2011 2:18 p.m.

I'm sorry... but if your reasoning was correct, then the PC versions of games would be the ones having problems more often, since you make it sounds that developers cut corners on PC development when making versions for consoles. Furthermore... You're mainly complaining about graphical performance, something that evidently, for most of us it's not enough of an issue to merit buying a PC instead of playing on a console that's more affordable and accessible. And the problem of games like BF3 or Skyrim isn't related to that.... it's that the product fails to work properly on a console it was released for, it's a faulty product. The issue is technical, not graphical. So basically... From your comment, it seems like you missed the entire point of the article.
  • romaules - November 25, 2011 3:30 p.m.

no i got the article, its complaining about the stuttering because of save game bloating. its starting to show up on PC as well, but at a much later time because of our superior hardware. the main complaint PC gamers have with the game is dumbed down mechanics (to suit consoles) shitty UI (to suit consoles) and bad shadows (again, to suit consoles). lets have a look at these points shall we? dumbed down mechanics, we went from having 8 attributes in morrowind and oblivion to 3 in skyrim, 27 skills in morrowind to 21 in oblivion and now 18 in skyrim, and don't get me started on the amount of spells and the streamlined item system. next point, shitty UI. it was obviously developed with consoles in-mind, no sorting, clunky "quick" menu, mouse stops working when you read and book or it decides it doesn't like you. i should probably include the FOV and vsync with this, turning off vsync causes a game breaking bug and another annoying bug with mouse speed being different on the horizontal plane. next up the shadows, they are rendered using the CPU, a trick developers use because consoles only have 512mb of ram and 512mb of video ram. they are rendered in such a way that if you increase the distance you can see shadows they become blocky. and to top it all off the game isn't utilizing 100% of our GPU or CPU, my last test it utilized 35% of my 560 TI and 42% of my i7-2600k in a "lag area" with mods. lucky for the PC platform we get a creation kit that allows us to create mods, those can fix parts of point one, and half of point 2. they cant fix problems with the engine however. consoles cant use mods because sony/microsoft doesn't trust there user base, but that's for another time. TLDR version: consoles are holding us back with there 4 year old hardware
  • BladedFalcon - November 25, 2011 4:57 p.m.

This jsut proved you DID miss the point of the article entirely. It's NOT talking about if a game runs better in another console or not. It's talking about gamers as a community to stop flinging shit at each other and blaming developer's mistakes on other platforms you own, which is EXACTLY what you are doing. And even if you were right about your argument that Consoles has dumbed down the series.(Which is false, since both Morrowind and Oblivion came out to consoles as well with the same features, no dumbing down required.) Flaming people that own consoles and bitching to them is not really gonna do anything. You have a problem with how shadows have been rendered in Skyrim? Send a mail to Bethesda and demand them to do their job properly. Complaining to strangers in a forum about it it's going to do nothing to help your case, and you only end up sounding like a douche.
  • avantguardian - November 25, 2011 7:36 p.m.

Falcon's right on this one, dude. just stop it.
  • aberkromby - November 25, 2011 12:50 p.m.

Best article I have ever read in my life. Every single metaphor was both spot on and alarmingly imaginative. David Houghton, you are as badass as a gaming journalist can possibly be.
  • Rubblemaker - November 25, 2011 12:06 p.m.

I had exactly this reaction when I was one of the first to post here about how Skyrim on the PS3 dies after about 40 hours. Some helmet came straight on and smugly told me thats what I get for playing it on a 'five year old PC'. Very helpful. Very immature. Very obnoxious. And exactly what I've come to expect from most forums or message boards these days. Just a typical thoughtless idiot with an IQ in single figures. This article is absolutely on point. Well done and well said!
  • joemama - November 25, 2011 noon

Hey this artical is about me. If a friend’s ageing dog died, and your friend was upset, would you laugh in his face and tell him that it was his own fault for having an old dog? "Ha ha you thought your dog could live foever" I did this twice If he lost his job, would you tell him that he probably should have been better at it? No you wouldn’t. "Ha Ha you got fired from a job where you just stand there and get paid" I did this seven times Ha Ha! daves tired of being told it's his fault for everything he did rong. I guess that makes me a dick but for some reason it cheers them up. Any one who knows me or plays online with me knows I do Nelson's Ha Ha all the time.